1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DisTech's DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Thats a bargain, very clean unmolested bike,,,

And so cheap :(: in fact im going to cry :cry

Did you see Ron`s recent build?

Mezo.

Sorry DisTech, didn't mean to hijack :2guns
  3. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah I just started looking at it a few minutes ago. SORRY TO HIJACK <3:amazon
  4. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry Ron, somehow I didn't see this post. I like some things about how my DR650 turned out, but damn I wish I had your fabrication skills. Your bike is beautiful! I don't work for Boeing, but I do work for McKinstry and we used to do a lot of work in their buildings. The Cogent shock together with heavier springs and RaceTech emulators makes the whole thing work pretty good. Message me when you're coming through Seattle!
  5. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I think that's a compliment?!

$750! That is a sweet deal and the bike looks pretty solid. Mine was clean while I was putting it together, but not so much anymore. I rode it quite a bit last summer and the side plastics and barkbusters have quite a bit of wear from my less vertical trail attempts.

Here's a couple recommendations:
    • TwoBrothers M7 exhaust is too damn loud. Go with the GSXR can (my mid tube is a Jesse's right now!).
    • If you are going to swap in a pumper carb, go with the Keihin 39mm FCR-MX like mx_rob. The Mikuni TM40 is a great carb but it does not have the air-cut valve that the FCR has. On decel high vacuum and no fuel means very lean backfire pop pop pop (made worse by a loud exhaust). The FCR air-cut valve automatically enriches the pilot circuit and reduces the popping.

Good luck and I hope to see your rebuild thread!
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Do not apologize to me! Apologize to the King Daddy of Inspirational DR650 Rebuild threads, Lukas' Ultimate DR650 Adventure build up!

HA! Kidding Mezo. Listing these links one at a time is futile! We should be pointing xBEEFEDGEx at the WALL-OF-FAME.
  7. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    If it's the FCR off the YFZ450 quad.
  8. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    I will definitely take that into consideration. I'm still trying to pay the bike off, but believe me, I'm making a list. As far as the exhaust goes I'm used to my suzuki boulevard C90 with roadhouse slip-ons, so it shouldn't be too much of a difference haha. Still learning about the carbs though, don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Thanks for your input! :super
  9. xBEEFEDGEx

xBEEFEDGEx n00b

Oddometer:
    spent 2 hours drooling out my pee hole looking at that already, I guess I can go again haha:rofl
  10. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    :confused Erm, you may wanna go to the clinic & get that seen to :huh

Mezo.
  11. Exile

Exile The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer:
    Love that video from that trail. Those falls were pretty instant. Brings back painful memories. :cry
  12. rubyeb

rubyeb lets go somewhere

Oddometer:
    Anytime anyone spends this much money on a older bike, I realize how little I know about these bikes. I have a 1990 dr650 that was not steal cheap, but pretty reasonable. I'm not going to strip it bare, but I have no trouble fixing it up. I have a kick starter instead of electric start which doesn't make any difference to me. It's all complete, just maintained by someone wth no job. Whats reasonable to spend on this bike assuming I'm happy with the basic bike?
  13. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Assuming the motor is in good shape the standard mods for post 96 DR650's are
    • airbox ($0)
    • jetkit (~$50)
    • exhaust (~$430)
    • pumper carb (~$450)
    • seat (~$350)
    • tank (~$240)
    • windscreen ($0 to $0+n)
    • suspension (~$200 to very expensive)
    This was a quick scan of new prices, you can do much better if you patiently monitor ebay & craigslist.

Again, these are mods I'm familiar with for post 96 DR650's. For people that know about pre 96 look in this thread, Pre '96 DR650S thread.

Good luck and post pictures!
  14. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Received a shipment from Jesse on Thursday that included my modified midtube for the GSXR muffler mod!

While I had all the mufflers off I weighed them (inaccurate bathroom scale disclaimer).

LBS - Description
    11 - Stock muffler / midtube
    1.5 - Two Brothers midtube
    2.5 - Two Brothers M7 VALE muffler
    4.5 - GSXR 750/600 x35F0x (aluminum core)
    3.5 - GSXR 1000 x40F0x (titanium core)

I've got the FMF oversized headpipe and I had my Two Brothers midtube modified earlier to remove the choke point at the joint from headpipe to midtube. I sent it down to Jesse and he put the GSXR flange on it.
    [​IMG]

mx_rob cut and rewelded the flange in the proper place on his GSXR muffler, but if you don't have his skills Jesse makes a fine looking adapter bracket.
    [​IMG]

Since the GSXR cans are easy to swap I ran a decibel meter (deciBel for Android) on each to see how they compare to listed after market cans. Sure wish I knew about the deciBel app before I sent the midtube to Jesse. I would love to have seen the ear splitting 98dB from the M7.

First the aluminum can.
    [​IMG]

Bounces around 93dB at 1500rpm idle.
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPCbDbQqYhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPCbDbQqYhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Now the titanium can.
    [​IMG]

Surprised the titanium can seams about 1dB quieter at the same idle.
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTQ5WUVmaaw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTQ5WUVmaaw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I can tell already I'm going to like this much better than the M7.
    [​IMG]

Still need to get a spark arrester.

Does anyone know what rpm the after market mufflers are tested for noise at?
  15. Mezo

Mezo Banned

Oddometer:
    Did you see Nordieboys movie ? "Just for Mezo" :D

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2l4GNn7wkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

85db :evil

Mezo.
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    3200 i think
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen them test decibel at an enduro race.

They messured one meter to the side, and one meter to the back of the muffler, and when rev the bike once to the redline, and use that reading.

That seemed to be the standard there, dont know if they do it different elsewhere.

Onless you ride around at idle, you cant use the idle decibel for anything.
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    That's the "1 metre max test".

I remember a couple of years ago in the Aussie V8's where the noise meter was positioned just where the drivers were down shifting from high speed...

Lots of black flags that day...
  19. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    Waiting for a green light on the red line
    Many thanks Mr. Distech :thumb

(please excuse the crappy cell phone pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Looking good!