1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DisTech's DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Weller soldering gun gave up the ghost and I got a Hakko FX-888D to replace it. OMG! I had no idea how bad I had it! The Hakko is amazing. Another reason I got it is because the bit shift menu display, enter button and up arrow button (no down arrow) interface reviews are so bad they are hilarious. I had to see for myself and now can confirm that the interface is "flashback to 1970's programmable watch calculator" terrible. I only use one preset, so I just turn it on and off and it performs fantastic.
    [​IMG]

It was surprising that the stock harness didn't require more modification. Like it was made to go up a taller tower.
    [​IMG]
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Great thread.
  3. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Planned to print the final in ABS but it's not practical to print on my printer (without some upgrades, but that's another story). Switched to PETG, supposed to print like PLA and have resistances like ABS.

These are the latest pieces.
    [​IMG]

Triangle box is pretty strong.
    [​IMG]

Pull a couple bolts for access.
    [​IMG]

Searched quite a bit for remote fuse blocks, but they were all expensive and frankly huge. Small and simple lead me to these stackable fuseholders.
    [​IMG]

Wiring ended up pretty clean. I'm happy with the looks. Have to see how it holds up to vibration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JensEskildsen likes this.
  4. DisTech

Oddometer:
    It's been quiet in here, thanks for the comment!
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I LOVE that dash set up. Well thought out. I am a great proponent of fuse boxes that are accessible on the dashboard. We first did this in our home made rally cars in the 1960’s UK. My dad thought I had ruined my 1965 Mini Cooper by screwing a fuse box on the passenger side dashboard! It is difficult to find a waterproof simple small unit.
  6. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks, similar goals indeed! Easy access and organization (and eliminating the inline fuse spaghetti at the battery). The fuse block is sheltered but the fuseholders and connectors are no more waterproof than the rest of the DR650 connections. I use the same MTW .110” Connectors Suzuki does.
  7. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Some daylight shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty happy with how she looks and feels on the road. Took her on the freeway yesterday and the air pocket from the windscreen is shorter than I'd like (of course) but there didn't seem to be buffeting, so it was manageable. OH and the 790 is so fun!
    [​IMG]
    BergDonk and sims159914 like this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    This is one of my favorite DR’s......takes a lot to get a bike this far along. Lots of $$$ too. In my DR650 RTW build the owner had over $11,000 invested starting with and including a $5500 bike. So $5500 in upgrades!
  9. Jerin513

Jerin513 n00b

Oddometer:
    Distech, thank you so much for all this great information and inspiration!

But what I really wanna know is what about your recent fork swap? Is that an RMZ fork? And what'd you have to do to get it to fit?

I am trying to make a decision for mine and here are my options (they're all gonna cost about the same):
    1. A completely rebuilt and only 1yr old stock fork by cogent.
    2. A 2004 DRZ fork & triple tree with low miles
    3. A fork from and RM model which I still haven't been able to gather enough info on.

Was the emulator mod on the stock fork decent?
    Is the newer model USD drz forks with triple tree just as compatible as the conventional?
    Info on different RM models compatibility?

Sorry I'm not trying to get too off topic but I'm sure you've considered all these and I'd love to hear your insight.
    Thanks
  10. Jerin513

Jerin513 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone who can help me out with info on this please pm me, I don’t wanna hi jack but I need to pull a trigger. Probably gonna end up getting the drz forks if not advised otherwise.
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I've done RM Showa forks, KTM WP CC forks and DRZ400E fork conversions. All work once setup, and all need some fiddling with things like steering stops. then you have to decide which front wheel and brake to use. Lots in my build thread, linked in my sig. My DR has the WP CC forks and they are great. You also need to consider fork travel and ride height, perhaps a longer shock and 18" rear rim if not shortening the forks.
    Jerin513 likes this.
  12. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just made one of these yesterday. Thanks!

AoSpades likes this.