DisTech's DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the extra garage time has been good.
  2. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Two Brothers midtube is 1.75" thinwall stainless steel tubing that reduces down to the stock exhaust diameter. FMF headpipe is 1.625" thinwall (though a bit heavier than the Two Brothers) stainless steel tubing.
    [​IMG]
    I emailed Jeff at ProCycle and asked if he had any suggestions on how to connect the two. He was on vacation but emailed me right back and gave me the number to Two Brothers and said he would look into it when he got back. I called Two Brothers and asked if they had an alternate midtube for connecting to oversize headpipes or adapters or something. They said no, just go to a muffler shop and have them swedge the end out to fit, it should only take 30 seconds! Ok! Off to a local muffler shop. The guy at the muffler shop warned me that it would probably split, and it did.
    [​IMG]
    • the muffler shop guy was ready to cut the split off and weld up a proper size connection but they only had aluminized steel. I decided to look for a shop that could do it in stainless.
    • After talking to several muffler shops that said pretty much the same thing, the stainless systems that they work with are kits that they don't modify, they just assemble.
    • Next I tried a couple metal fabricators that do weld and form stainless parts. The problem they had was the connection to the FMF headpipe has to be a tight fit and they could not find a thinwall stainless tube the right diameter. They also didn't think they could form their own piece that small that would be round enough for a good fit.
    • The last metal fab guy suggested going to a machine shop and having them mill a thick wall stainless pipe to fit. That's where I'm at, looking for a machine shop.
  3. DisTech

Oddometer:
    I chose the M7 over the FMF Q4 because I like the look better and with the P4 it's supposed to be quieter. Note the nice fit of the magnesium tip.
    [​IMG]
    The instructions for installing the P4 show three configuration.
    1. P4 & spark arrester
    2. spacer & spark arrester
    3. P4 & spacer
    [​IMG]
    There is no spacer!
    [​IMG]
    So when you install the P4 and the spark arrester there is a gap.
    [​IMG]
    In the same conversation with Two Brothers about the midtube this is what they had to say about the P4:
    90% of the mufflers that the P4 gets installed into create a gap between the muffler and the magnesium tip. The gap is around the outside only, there is no exhaust leak. That's just the way it is.
  4. DisTech

Oddometer:
    The swingarm cleaned up nice!
    [​IMG]
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:

Wow, Wow, Wow. I always wondered if the FMF header would fit my TBR midpipe. But I didn't want to spend the bones to find out myself. Good luck with this--I hope you get it sorted.
  6. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I have the same issue with my Hindle mid pipe. The stock gasket will fill the gap but it's definitely not ideal. Let us know what you come up with.
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi...if you still have this swingarm out, could you maybe measure its width on the pivot, I am wondering if it can fit my DR800.

Many thanks

8. DisTech

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like 9.0625" outside of pivot cover to outside of pivot cover. Let me know if I'm not measuring what you needed.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    DisTech, many thanks for your time. I think you are measuring right, its the bit that goes from the inside of the frame i am looking for. It seems that it is about 10mm wider than the DR800. Bad luck I guess, as if it was slightly shorter, some spacers would do the trick.
    All the best with your project!
  10. Watson

Watson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Damit!!!
    I put the DR on the lift at the end of the season to get it ready for fix'n the leaky gaskets,and do'n the valves adjustments,NSU,new gas tank,and the choke converion.
    Now you go and post this thread!!So i gotta quit talk'n about and go do it,thanks!:rofl
  12. RearView

RearView Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm surprised by this. No particular insight, just figured your frame and swingarm would have wider measurements.

:lurkThis looks like fun. Excellent build.
  13. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I love these types of builds, I envy the gumption and the actual end-results.

Now, GET BACK TO WORK AND POST SOME MORE!!!!!!

MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT!!!!
  14. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    See Larry, at Seattle Welding in South Park, regarding the exhaust system. He has done some great things for me in the last 40 years. Tell him Paul said to see him.

Good Luck... Hope he can help
  15. DisTech

Oddometer:
    The 650 is wider than the 800, that is surprising. Thanks.

You are welcome! And I'm looking forward to your writeup!

Agreed. Thanks.

THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Doh! I called five machine shops in Ballard and not one of them answered the phone. I finally got hold of someone at Wilson Machine Works on Elliott Ave W and just dropped the pipes off there today before I saw your post! If they don't work out I'll give Larry a call. Thanks Paul.
  16. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Haven't been in the garage for the last week because I've been waiting for my Cogent order to show up (supposed to be here tomorrow(!) if the flooding(!) in Centralia doesn't delay it) and becoming irritated with Two Brothers over some warranty issues (I'll explain later).

The new price for the Dakar windscreen (FARBE : SCHWARZ!) is $208. You can still find it listed in some places online at $134, but if you try and order it they won't give it to you at that price any longer. So I drove over to RideWest and ordered it, my budget is shot anyway.

For the Buell headlight mod I ordered a Hella 30 Amp SPST Relay and a Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panel (Western ATV's wanted to charge me $18 for their cheapest shipping for 9oz, I ordered from someone else!).

Ordered Ken Sean Dual Sport Mirrors from Dennis Kirk because a lot of people recommend them here on AdvRider, but look at these from bajadesigns. Slightly cheaper, anyone know anything about them?
  17. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Those might be Ken Sean also or they could be Emgo copies of the Ken Sean. The Emgo has flat glass and gives no useful field of view.
  18. GTSRIG

GTSRIG DR Rider

Oddometer:
    Great build. It really helps seeing what others are doing to thier DR's. I've used so many of the inmates here and TT ideas. Thanks to all.
    Anyway, I did the GSXR muffler mod with the TwoBrothers mid pipe and the FMF stainless oversized header. I was able to put the header and mid pipe together using the OEM stock header to muffler gasket and the clamp that came with the FMF header and it sealed up very nicely. No leaks at all.
    By the way my rear shock just came back from Rick at Cogent and I got it installed last night. I'll be going on a ride tomorrow and I'll let everyone know how it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks. And thanks for the excellent pictures. ProCycle Jeff told me that he knew some people were using the the same combo as us with the stock gasket. Using the stock gasket on the reduced size of the midtube takes the diameter down to the stock size at the joint. Am I wrong to want the oversized diameter all the way through headpipe and midtube? Does it make any difference?

Thanks Jeff(?). I'm glad I ordered the Ken Seans.
  20. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! My Cogent order showed up yesterday!
    [​IMG]

The bearings looked pretty good, so I stuffed a bunch of grease in them and mounted the swingarm and shock.
    [​IMG]