DisTech's DR790 build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DisTech, Mar 16, 2013.

1. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    what's the pull strength needed on the clutch versus stock?

I haven't had my DR offroad yet, but i see myself getting hand cramps.
    Tiggleswerth likes this.
  2. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keintech suggested i do Barnett clutch springs with OEM plates which I did. The pull strength is greater, but not enough for me to get hand cramps off road. I did this before I set out on the trip im on now (headed to alaska) and even doing Poison Spider Mesa (shorter, but more clutchwork/harder) and the White Rim Trail (longer, but not as much clutch work/easier) I had no hand cramps. YMMV
  3. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great build man. Definitely a charm to the DR, and one can almost farkle it to be perfect. Too bad it will always be a fat pig, but it can get the job done.. especially your beast
  4. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my brother in-law is on the DR455 (performing excellent!) and I follow him over this berm that has a sign next to it, "TRAIL OPEN". What kind of trail it does not say! It was an awesome mix of winding forest roads and sick jeep trails above Liberty WA. And it was raining. :D I'm still kicking myself for not taking a picture from the bottom of one soupy, root crossed, rut track that I slid back down for a second try after the DR455 climbed it like a monkey. :lol3

The 790 seemingly has torque everywhere, combined with the Barnett clutch allowed me to loft the front end over whatever. Circumstances had to be just right for me to do that in stock 650 form. Over the weekend I only rode DR790 for a couple hours max at a time, but I did not notice much difference in the clutch lever pull and had no arm cramps.

RMZ450 forks are the way to go, they changed the bike for me. It fits me better and they make it handle like a big dirt bike should.
    [​IMG]
  5. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what an awesome bike! You did a hell of a job on that windscreen/ nav tower. It looks like it does it job while still being very sleek and clean. Excellent work.
  6. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Great job on the build, it is a seriously big dirt bike!
  7. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    How is the DRZ keyswitch working for you? I'm doing this mod tomorrow (if I can find a 100ohm resistor somewhere).
  8. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Works great, wish I would have done that on my DR455. Got my resistor (was a five pack) from Radio Shack for like a $2.
  9. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work! What a bike....
    I have to agree on the Showas. I have a set on my '09 DR with the race tech heavy springs as well, and it sure is nice in the rough stuff! I also went with the 320 mm front brake, and I highly recommend that for riding singletrack. True one finger braking in any situation (for me).
    I've got about 16,000 miles on mine, and when it starts consuming oil, I'm gonna do a 790 too. Thanks for all the great pictures!
  10. el capitan

el capitan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DisTech: How do you get along with that tiny front rotor? I installed a Husaberg-front (WP 4860 and all) while rebuilding my 96 last winter and had to upgrade the stock 260 mm disc asap. Now I´m running a 320 mm floating sumo-rotor together with Brembo 2-piston calipers, SS brake lines and the DR master (piston a bit too large for the Brembo).
    Nice build, btw! At 790 cc she must be an animal - and a handfull of bike when things get narrow and technical. Nice to leave your 455 to your brother-in-law! Or did you regret that?:wink:
  11. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bike, fabrication skills and ingenuity to solve problems!!! I'm subscribing and almost makes me buy a DR to do her the same upgrades! :D

Congratulations, and keep up the good work! :1drink
  12. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Mod complete. I now have a dainty little keyswitch with dainty little keys.
  13. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm shocked I haven't seen this thread before! Great to see another 790 being built and doin' well. Love those forks on the DR, and great job on the nav tower.
  14. DisTech

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your review as well! Speaking of doin'. Posted some questions about a NW BDR Loop I want to do in August over in Trip Planning that has generated zero response. Anyone with knowledge of WA, OR & ID dirt roads, I'd love some feedback.
  15. oldirtyrider

oldirtyrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dllama just wow!
  16. AoSpades

AoSpades n00b

Oddometer:
    This build is truely nice. But DisTech seems to have left. Are there any follow ups?
  17. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Reviving this thread for a DR790 update. I'd love to know how well the engine is performing. How many miles? I picked up a '14 DR for almost nothing. I plan to do a nice build, and the 790 kit would be the icing on the cake.