Ditching Garmin for android or iphone as GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by twowheelpilot, Feb 2, 2013.

1. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And provides a warranty....
  2. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I've been using ruggedized cell phones for almost ten years. They aren't new. They just don't have much of a following compared to some of the faster, flashier offerings. They are typically larger, slower and have fewer features. Although, some of the more current offerings have gotten significantly better. My Rugby Smart runs Backcountry Navigator well enough that I haven't purchased a standalone GPS.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Cool ! The few ice ruin across were tied to not-my-carrier , but that's my only complaint. :-)
  4. Beer_me

Beer_me JY

Oddometer:
    Good info gents. Upon further consideration I'm thinking about a stand alone ruggedized cheap android platform. Thinking going WiFi only with it and keeping my existing phone for all but GPS duties.

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you give me an example of what you're considering as "a stand alone ruggedized cheap android platform?"
  6. Beer_me

Beer_me JY

Oddometer:
    Hit eBay. There's an S-ton of refurb Casio GZ'One Commando's (maybe work on simplifying the name for the next model eh Casio?) going right now for cheap. I better make up my mind.

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Terrible picture, which would emphasize how badly the redneck engineered "mount" was:

[​IMG]

This was a 3+ year old T-Mobile G2, in a $4 waterproof bag (academy sports), Velcrod to an old license plate, which was zip tied to the bars.

It led myself and 9 others through 120+ miles of fairly good terrain, jumps, logs , creek crossings, hill climbs, and finally back to camp for the second annual Copper Penny Dual Sport Ride, just fine.

I used Oruxmaps, which performed flawlessly.

I did manage to "accidentally" do the fun sections two or three times though ;-)

Get out there