Ditching Garmin for android or iphone as GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by twowheelpilot, Feb 2, 2013.

1. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Google maps now only retains saved offline maps for 30 days.
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing I've noticed is that many of the County Roads in Texas aren't labeled in Google maps anymore. They still show on the maps, but without names. You can still search for an address on them and find it, but no matter how far you zoom in the road doesn't show a name. And they used too. I noticed this before the change to the new google maps. As much as I hate too, I now switch to Bing maps to get those road names. Or fire up Garmin's Basecamp.
  3. Beer_me

Beer_me JY

Oddometer:
    Hey I added my $0.02 regarding an app I'm trying out here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22061743&postcount=11
    But this thread seems to be the one getting the attention, so forgive the cross-link, "double post," or w/e you want to call it.

I wonder if the Earl will run ViewRanger??? Looks like it might.
    Hmm ... hey for those considering a new waterproof phone, the Incipio is apparently thinking the Motorola Moto X is going to be big because they've come out with a press release stating that they will make one of their Atlas waterproof cases for it. It the Moto X doesn't turn out to be a battery hog, this may be my next phone.
  4. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    I just ordered my Earl yesterday. There's half a dozen office mates that hike, geocash, motorcycle, hunt and fly that all ordered one too.

Seems like the perfect device for what Adventure Riding is all about. The developer is really looking to make something that works for every outdoor/backcountry activity known. Upgrades are definitely in the works from the initial release, and will likely be included if you are an initial supporter. Upgrades such as a low temp or color e-ink screen like I'd use.

If you don't know what Earl is, check it out: www.meetearl.com

It's a backcountry survival tablet with every type of gps, sensors and radios available, bluetooth 4.x, wifi, runs Android j-bean (including Google services obviously), 6" low power flexible e-ink screen, integrated solar charging, 20hr in use time, 5hr solar charge, IP67 (water, dust, mud proof), glove friendly, multi-touch & joystick, and rugged. It's got emergency capability to replace those thinking about SPOT, packaged with backcountry navigator, but will run your Android nav app of choice, bluetooth to connect to comm, expandable memory for your tunes, movies and pictures, modular design for repairs and upgrades, fits right into existing RAM mounts for Tabs. There's a lot more I'm not remembering...

What it doesn't have: retina screen, integrated camera, cell service.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL!....

Comes with the case pictured on the website, shipping this month hopefully. It's awaiting FCC approvals I think, unless they are adding more features first. They are at a discount during pre-order, with that 15% discount carrying over to any future upgrades or purchases.

Ok, there's my sales pitch on why I got one...

[​IMG]
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I am waiting on Garmin Monterra which is also on an Android platform and shipping in September. I guess I am leaning toward Garmin mainly for warranty and upgrade support along with advance mapping capability that I believe Garmin will offer. I am not into using Google Maps and other automotive navigation apps. Other consideration and IMHO is that I've been using my Zumo 550 since 2006 without a single issue both on my Vee and my KLX450 and I've taken my share of face plants on the KLX without any damage to the Zumo.

Hell, you never know, I may just stick with my Galaxy S4 and use Co Pilot for general automotive type navigation and Dual Sport Map for off road use. Still testing and learning as I go but so far so good.

Jon
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing I need a GPS for is tracks. I want to be able to draw tracks on a map/software loaded in my Mac, and transfer it to my GPS for riding it. I want to record tracklogs for where I have been when scouting new trails. I want to be able to acquire tracks from others to ride myself. Plus the device has to be waterproof, since weather and stream crossings are a part of it.

Somehow a cell phone seems to come up short as a GPS for me. But mine is OK for walking around Boston or trying to find an address in a car.

I had a 60csx taht did everything fine. I have a Montana now and I like it's touch screen.
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried Google's My Tracks yet? I just downloaded it a few minutes ago but have not run it yet.
  8. Beer_me

Beer_me JY

Oddometer:
    Interesting regarding MyTracks. Didn't even have that my radar. Presumably if you can share and follow tracks (I read correctly? that is possible right?), you can create tracks using other software to create a preplanned itinerary. I've got to try this.

PS. My favorite program for years now for preplanning routes/itineraries/tracks has been http://www.tyretotravel.com/ Originally for TomTom (and now is Tom-Tom's packaged software), it's 100% compatible with Garmin.

Sent from my Fone using Tapatalk 2
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes....:evil

There currently is no feature to save your track locally as a GPX track so you could actually share it with others. You have to upload it to Google Drive and then convert it to GPX - but there's a problem in that they use a Time Stamp that records tenths of a second. GPX standard does not like that. That needs to be fixed in MyTracks or find a program that will clean it up on the computer/online.

There are a lot of non-Google apps that record Tracks properly and save them as GPX locally.
  10. Beer_me

Beer_me JY

Oddometer:
    Thanks for saving me the time it would've taken me to figure that out on my own. :clap
  11. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    :y0!

I Use OSMAnd after testing all others, and it's the only one that does everything, so far...

To answer your question:

OSMAnd

Go to settings, enable logging plugin

Go to settings, enable logging button view

Click on Radar icon, top left: choices (record/stop GPX track, Save GPX, start online tracking, sleep mode)

To load a GPX track, drop it into the OSMAnd/Tracks folder on your SD card.
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I would agree, OsmAnd is a very nice open-source app and the in app downloading of off-line OSM maps is great. I've been using OsmAnd+ and the maps are compiled very well so that they are about on par with the size of Garmin's maps. All of North America was only 2.2GB on my device. I do however wish someone with a good UI coding background would help out on this app.
  13. dstock

dstock Adventurer n00b

Oddometer:

Looks interesting but I don't see anywhere that it is packaged with Backcountry Navigator or it's SPOT like abilities. Can you elaborate?
  14. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Sorry, confused, it's paired with Everytrail, not backcountry nav. It's a great $10 App though, bought right through Play store.

It doesn't have a satellite link yet. However, they have added a serious 2-way comm setup with an external antenna port. I did request this feature (thinking globally), and it was replied that they have had many requests and is a top feature to be reviewed for Gen 2.

"Keeping in touch in the backcountry can be imperative. Earl includes a two-way radio to keep you connected, no matter where you are. Featuring a FRS, GMRS and MURS transceiver, Earl connects to analog and digital radio frequencies up to 20 miles away. Send secure text or voice messages via Walkie-Talkie; even transmit weather, location, and route information. Signal for help, report fires or alert your group to changing conditions."

"Quickly access Earl's two-way radio features to signal for rescue. Combine a heart rate monitor and Earl can send out an alert when sensing a loss or extreme change in BPM."
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    20 miles away...GMRS, if you were on the water and there was absolutely no waves. Oh, don't take EARL into a lot of other countries in the world because those FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies are not open to civilian use legally. Don't get me wrong, FRS/GMRS are handy to have when you have a group that is relatively close in the USA outdoors. Heck, I still have my Rino 110.
  16. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Completely agree... That's where it falls short.

I don't foresee myself in that realm any time in the near future so it's adequate for the time being. Still doesn't replace everything just yet.

That said, I've been impressed with my Motorola walkie-talkies with GMRS. 20mi is a long way in New England. I radio'd my buddies at camp when I was at the parking lot at the deep section of the Long Trail.
  17. raz65man

raz65man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a very informative thread. I have just recently started using a smart phone and decided to do a little research. This thread alone has given me a lot of apps to check out to see which I can best use.
    My one question is related to the glare on the screen. Are the verbal directions accurate enough that it can be charging in the tank bag, assuming of course that you are using a blue tooth comm unit in your helmet?
    Raz
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Could you do this? Sure. Should you do this? Well, I wouldn't. I never trust Routing, much less routing voice directions.

YMMV...
  19. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Osmand voice Nav works great, forces you to follow the route as planned and will be as accurate as the GPS reception, which should be better in the tank bag I would think
  20. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    What about a Nexus 7 in an Otterbox Defender with Backcountry Navigator? Seems that would provide a decent alternative?