DIY “Rally” fairings

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by dewey405, Apr 27, 2021.

1. dewey405

dewey405 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I recently made some fairings for my 790 since I’ve always hated the praying mantis look through KTM has adopted, )should’ve never went away from the stacked look). I posted some pictures and some people have asked what I did so I figured I’d post some pics, it’s super simple and it has made the ride so much quieter and with some other DIY, in 25+ MPH gusting winds I had almost zero head buffeting. I used 2 .0125 12x24” kydex v sheets I found on Amazon but you can source them however you want and I’d recommend 3 so if you make a mistake you have a spare.

The first thing I did was make a cardboard template, this is made with the Rade garage screen in mind so YMMV. I also plastidipped the inside of the RG screen so it matches the black kydex better. I poked the 3 screws per side through and screwed it in, and designed it so there was a “wing” that would fold under for some wind deflection. So enough talking, it’s picture time.

How it looks all put together, notice the theme.
    DA8623F6-D7D1-4A43-A6DB-C718712548D7.jpeg DDF16E2E-F3CA-47A9-9898-7F803C28522F.jpeg

The template, mind you this is designed for my aux light bracket. The big curve on the bottom doesn’t “need” to be there.
    D427469E-FB3D-4A2B-9578-3FADA5A3A29B.jpeg

Shaped by a heat gun, I screwed the top screw in then used a heat gun to slowly shape in as I worked down. Too much heat and it will show melting spots (ask me how I know). Also I don’t like this blinker, it’s useless.
    DE48DDCF-F8B0-42EC-9736-5B75835C3CEF.jpeg

I used industrial Velcro to mount this part to the tank. I also used the heat gun to shape the curve here, it kind of makes it’s own curve I just used the heat gun to allow it reshape so it’s not under constant stress.
    FCDD636A-610F-400D-8A86-D084BA5383D3.jpeg CE92709E-187E-45C2-B560-9F1733BCAF2B.jpeg

the wings under screw into the holes that the awful lower wing used.
    BA210A42-A335-4F3E-B135-68A64320D853.jpeg

Also, for buffeting I was using the Amazon spoiler but the clamps caused some stress damage to the top so I made some basic clamps using angle aluminum. I used fender washers on the inside to again, reduce stress.
    43B7AE5E-55E2-4EFE-A498-B853B590D643.jpeg 2EC23E30-5BBC-4E43-B353-FFBB019D9C70.jpeg
    kirill_k, lithodave, SFC_Ren and 4 others like this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re happy, I’m happy.
    sims159914, dewey405 and Fathead890R like this.
  3. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    curiouser and curiouser...
  4. dewey405

Oddometer:
    Meh I was asked to share the info so I did, take it or leave it.
    lithodave and Fathead890R like this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some guys bolts stuff on, while other fabricate their own thing. Good for you for being the latter, and good on you for taking the time to share.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @dewey405
    Well done, I reckon you’ve done a great ‘low tech’ job in fabricating the custom side fairing panels!
    Any pics from the rider’s view. Cheers, :thumb
  7. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clean and simple. Keeps the bike looking slim. I like it...
  8. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I didn't care for the buffeting I experienced from the Rade Garage windscreen at first, but removing the stock wind deflectors fixed everything, as far as I'm concerned, and cruising at 80-90 mph is a pleasant experience now.
  9. Matrace

Matrace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your great job confirms my trails , two side wings reduce consistently the buffeting coming from the narrow prow of this “praying mantis”, (logical posture for a fight against the air...);
    I’ve just added two cheapo uppers deflectors on the OEM side winds, by this way it’s easy to find the right place, upper or lower , spread or slightly bend ,
    At now the best position looks like this, 0D7893CC-C583-4A4E-83CA-0F261041A5D0.jpeg 7A01AAB9-9FB8-4F17-8830-EA9793BA9E15.jpeg
  10. comradecasey

comradecasey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you may need a fifth windshield dude.
  11. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Matrace is on the right track. For aero you tend to want a bulbous front and a skinny behind. Think of the water droplet/tear drop, it's one of the most aerodynamic streamlined shapes for sub sonic travel with about 5% resistance.

If your bike travels at super sonic speeds you need a long thin design like a missile.
  12. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    @AdvRonski, the Rade Garage windscreen is at the top of my list for consideration, but some have complained that it has too much wind noise. These complaints give me pause, although hearing from others who made it work for them helps offset my concerns. Your solution is both easy & reversible, which is a big plus, IMHO. Have you made any other mods, like mirrors, handguards, seating position, etc. to address wind & or ergonomic issues?
    Just out of curiosity, what are your height & inseam dimensions?
  13. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:

@Dan D.
    You stay out of this !

:lol3
    theDoktor and Dan D. like this.
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I'm 5-11, 33 inseam. I have a rally seat, MX bars, Cycra handguards, and run a single folding mirror. But, those are all ergonomic mods, and never really had any impact on my buffeting issues. It was the removal of the air deflectors that made the most difference for me, and I have heard similar reports from others. There doesn't seem to be any universal remedy, though, since it is really a personal preference issue.
  15. dewey405

Oddometer:
    I am 6’1” with a 34” inseam, in addition to the following I went with the Highway dirt bike handguards with mirrors (helped a little with buffeting), Flexx ADV bars and a seat comfort tall comfort seat for ergo.

I went with the RG screen for the looks and the severe neck pain the OEM gave me in OK winds. It did nothing except give me space for the tablet mount. I then added the spoiler on the top of the RG screen and it helped a lot but it was still loud and I’d get weird harmonics with the helmet that would cause headaches fairly often, standing helped alleviate it this when I felt it coming on. I then removed the lower wind deflector and it made the long highway rides in OK much more tolerable but it was still loud in the seat and I’d get head shake more often than not.

With all that being said, this alleviated ALL of that on the one ride I was able to go on before I took a sharp rock to my front sidewall and trashed the tire. At interstate speeds I was able to lower my headset music volume, and country highway speeds I could understand everyone in comms for the first time. The wind issues were almost gone (obviously cross winds still have issues). I still have the upper spoiler I bought but I hard mounted them instead of the crappy clamps so I can’t say if they still make a big difference.
    Hope this helps.
  16. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm 5'-11 with a 32" inseam, so our ergos should be pretty close. I probably will end up with the Husky Evo bars or something similar- I hate a lot of sweep.