DIY Android remote; Rally buttons, where to get them

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Dagjen, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    I am building a remote control for android, both for mapping/navigation and for the upcoming Rally Navigator mobile roadbook reader app, and am looking for which buttons to use.

I really like the rally buttons used by F2R and ICO, even the old ICO buttons. Do anyone know where to get this lind of momentary buttons? If for instance Digikey, do you have a direct link to suggestions? The have a zillion different buttons.
  2. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey man...I use locus heaps...and have been thinking about a remote button set..tell me more about what your building..sounds cool .!!!!
  3. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    I could be, and it does not seem to exist out there yet. Some day some big vendor of gear will make something I'm sure, but for now I am digging in old programming skills and create something for myself. Check this video:

The remote is made of what I had available, so its a prototype and need more hard core buttons and a sleeker design, but I testet it on a winter ride and it makes navigation a lot smoother.
    I also have an intercom which will be testet for the voice search you see in the video.
    Yeah, its a really interesting diy project. Just need links to proper buttons. Anyone? Joystick?
    20190208_134641lite.jpg
    plumer1kt likes this.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many buttons do you need on a handlebar?

I narrowed it down to half a zillion by searching "handlebar momentary button". Didn't get any Digikey results but found plenty with 1, 2, and 3 buttons on a 22mm clamp.

I don't think that Digikey, Mouser, etc., generally have specific fitments like handlebar clamps. But they have tons of momentary buttons. You just need to specify the electrical characteristics.
  5. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    I am not looking for a complete solution, just the individual button components. Lots of variations out there but still not found any of the mentioned types, hence the query.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you looking for IP68 or other weather sealed?

EDIT: I just went to the mouser.com site and searched "momentary button IP68" and got 129 responses. Far easier to sort through.

I've used unsealed switches on bikes since it's low voltage.
    Dagjen likes this.
  7. random1781

random1781 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've done both and haven't had any issues, especially using them for input. I've personally used these cheap amazon ones and this more expensive one from digikey and never had any issues, and I ride all year.

Search for 'navigation switches' and you'll come up with a bunch of interesting results. The SF39BA might be worth taking a look at.

I'd love to hear how this works out, I've wanted to do something like this using a thumbstick but haven't had time.
  8. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
  9. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a similar project.. i think i use the same buttons (ebay or amazon) as your prototype. I'm trying to design something ergonomic to 3d print now :)
  10. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    Show us when you have something made up. I am looking into 3d aluminium print, but eager to see what others make.
  11. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. random1781

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried pairing one of the Sena remotes with a phone or computer?
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a cheapo remote from amazon work with locus.. no problem. I would expect those sena unit to work too, as you can adapt locus to almost any key event your device sends anyway.
    If you want to use it with a different app it could be different.. although i guess the sena units will have a way to use the usual "sound control" key press: volume up and down, next and prev track etc, which a lot of apps handle.
  14. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A trackball maybe?
  15. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    Since my last post I have made an aluminium remote with a micro joystick from APEM and low profile switches. This getting somewhere I think.
    A trackball could be useful too.
    5600EBF1-1B10-434E-ABF9-AE9881199512.jpeg
    big sky mt, random1781 and Ogre_fl like this.
  16. random1781

Oddometer:
    I've thought that a trackball would be ideal for usability, but I'm curious how sensitive it would be to vibrations, bumps, etc. Never tried any before.

@Dagjen, that looks great. What is the top display for?
  17. Dagjen

Dagjen Rocinante

Oddometer:
    That is the ICO tripmaster, a rally navigation instrument that lets you adjust your distance in increments to follow a roadbook. Every rally rigged bike has one or two of these or of later models. I can connect the top two buttons of the remote to it and adjust when doing (hobby)rally.
  18. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Dagjen Would you mind showing some pics of how it all turned out. Seems really cool from the last pictures.