DIY, EDM (electric discharge machining) Machine,, What...??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ricardo Kuhn, May 11, 2016.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Yeah 3-D printers my ass, until the day sell a "Normal" one that can make working/functional prototypes, they only serve for "Models"

I have used EDM's (for clients for my own fun, not mine for hire) with great results, cheap to make prototypes that work almost as well as a machined unit..

Until ten minutes ago, it never cross my mind that you can make one at home..

As always Thanks to the "Home made Tools" dude, the service he is doing to the geeky community is incredible..

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/edm-electric-discharge-machining-machine-43313#post62462

Note: I hope this hands are not discolor like that from chemical direct contact..
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  2. homemadetools

homemadetools n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, I know that dude! Not exactly sure what this smiley is, but I couldn't resist: :dllama:

Keep on toolin' on folks; with 171 homemade tools listed from you guys, ADVRider.com is our top motorcycle site for homemade tools. I hope we send over a ton of visitors to your homemade tool posts.

http://www.homemadetools.net/sites/advrider.com
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    You latest one on "Vises" was awesome..

Thanks as always..
  4. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Kind of a "blunt instrument" compared to the commercial EDM wire or tunneling (?) machine, but I suspect that we will see inexpensive shop built versions of those in the not too distant future. Some clever folks out there playing around with stuff like this.
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Oh for sure is a total hackmoto but it will be useful for the million bolts, studs and Taps that get broken all the time (sealing for just the bolt or a massive pool is kind of a issue)
  6. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. I checked the prices on OLD used CNC wire EDM machines on EBay and they still START at around $7000 for small very old ones and go up form there.