1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY & Inexpensive Tiger Mods and Farkles

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by skylerhager1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. skylerhager1

skylerhager1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

Please post pics and details of any DIY mods or inexpensive mods (<$100) that you have have done to your Tiger...

I find these threads to be the most useful for guys that have fully farkled bikes, but want to just do the "small things" or "winter projects", or for inmates that just joined the club and are looking for some cool, inexpensive things to do to their bikes!
    stuntjake912 and rpg777 like this.
  2. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front mud flap to protect the shock and rear mud flap to keep crap off my tail case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3bangin, ADVraider and Leo90au like this.
  3. sans4ver

sans4ver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mirror extenders- very useful for highway riding
    Pig tail-good for maintenance/charging the battery
    SAE convertor- good for hooking up phone, gps etc
    Reflective tape-multiple uses
    DIY Tool kit- agri supply tool box
    Rear tubeless conversion and side stand foot enlarger are also under $100 but it depends on individual preference and riding styles.
  4. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Define "inexpensive"?!?! :)

Grip Puppies (Ebay.com) and short levers from China.

[​IMG]

16 tooth (OEM) to 15t to 14 tooth front sprocket
    Note this picture has the incorrect 14 tooth front sprocket.
    The correct part number is:
    JT Sprockets (#JTF520) 525 Pitch Chromoly-Steel Front Sprocket
    14T JTF520-14

[​IMG]

Front fender lift kit from Oz

[​IMG]

Unifilter from Oz.
    Best price is to order directly from Oz.

[​IMG]

Driving light rocker switch Non LED

[​IMG]

LED lights from China
    Connected via a PDM60 module. (Not inexpensive!)
    BTW also shown is Cyclops ADV LED headlight bulbs (Really not inexpensive!)

[​IMG]

Pro Taper Contour with the Raptor bend, and
    Two inch rox risers,
    BMW/Hella pug to 12volt socket.
    Ram mounts for Zumo and iPhone6

[​IMG]

Pelican Case to hold my first aid kit
    Mounted to Mosko Moto wedges (panniers) and OEM luggage racks (Seriously Not inexpensive!!)

[​IMG]

Pocket Earth App for my iPhone for off road driving (along with my Zumo which was not inexpensive!!)

[​IMG]
    sans4ver, LordZed and skylerhager1 like this.
  5. skylerhager1

skylerhager1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you explain some more why you need the PDM60 thing is? Arent the XCX mostly pre-wired for auxiliary lights?
  6. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XCA is prewired and comes with OEM Aux lights, the XCX does not.

I wanted the PDM 60 for all my electrical add ons. Zumo, LED lights, Gerbings Electric Jacket and gloves.
    The iPhone is connected via the OEM BMW/Hella plug in the picture above.

As an aside, I originally ordered the PDM 60 for my Goldwing, but it wandered over to the Tiger. My experience with the wing and before that my Harley as taught me that a good power module is always a good investment.

Rick

[​IMG]
  7. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    bassogap likes this.
  8. theclyncher

theclyncher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made this auxiliary tail light bracket for my 800 XC - I wanted something that would stand out with the rack and top box fitted. Cost with LED lamp assembly, connectors, and raw material approximately $55:

TIGER-LIGHT-BRACKET.JPG
  9. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tidbit about the Pocket Earth App. Love It !!

Raconnol likes this.
  10. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the mud flap. are those bolts or screws? and what is it attached to?
  11. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    I'm notoriously cheap on mods for my Tiger. Let's start at the back and work forward.

Kitchen Aid brand cutting board rear luggage rack with some aluminum jig hardware from Lee Valley so my toolbox can slide on and off. The top box is a Princess Auto copy of a Pelican case and the whole set up was just about $75 I think. It was years ago so I don't remember the exact number but it was cheap.

[​IMG]

Next up is my tool tube. I used a Home Depot welding rod holder and some aluminum. I put a padlock hasp on the kid to prevent it vibrating open.

[​IMG]

Moving along I have the plush luxury of a sheepskin on my seat for added comfort on long rides. Ikea sold this one cheap and I had enough left over for a cozy spot for my cats.

[​IMG]

Next on our adventure are my forward side bags. Another Princess Auto special. $15 and a tarp grommet kit with a few zip ties to my crash bars and I always have some hand warmers, a towel, a couple of quarts of oil, etc. Handy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving up to the handlebars -- the stock triumph guards are plastic windbreakers so I bent out some backbones for them using some 1/4 inch aluminum flat bar and a bottle jack press. Then I just attached the plastic guards to them and attached the whole thing to the bars with ubolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I don't want to get lost with all these cheap farkles attaches so I sprung for the touratech GPS mount. Really, I paid for the Montana gps unit and got the mount for free at a bike show. But I needed a way to attach the gps cradle to the bars. I used a couple of bicycle seat post clamps ($2 each) at a local outdoors store (MEC if anyone is wondering) and then took a piece of aluminum round stock (I had it lying around but no more than $5). With a bit of Jeremy Clarkson engineering I flattened out the ends and voila.

[​IMG]

And as many of you know the stock windscreen on the Tiger is awful. The Madstad is the answer but it's expensive. So I made my own out if about $15 worth of aluminum angle iron and a $15 piece of lexan from home depot.

[​IMG]

Most of these aren't pretty but if you want cheap farkles, this is a sure fire way to do it. And all have survived plenty of rough roads. The other advantage is the bike looks pretty ugly so that I think is an effective theft deterrent!

And in all its glory:

[​IMG]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving the front indicators to a less vulnerable spot. If you have a bike with an adjustable screen and you use the standard indicators its a free 15 minute or so change.
    If you don't have the adjustable bracket it costs well under $100 and if you want LED indicators its up to you what you spend. The pictured indicators are Triumph LEDs that have an identical mount to the OEM indicators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. K1W1

Oddometer:
    Sunglasses - Eyeglasses holder. Can't fall off the bike, can't be sat on, can't ride off and foget they are there.

[​IMG]
    OR_Rider, RideReno, rickjr63 and 5 others like this.
  14. K1W1

Oddometer:
    Not a farkle or mod as such but the beak works well as a location for an action camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    alpina, allancrew and theclyncher like this.
  15. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're referring to mine, they're stainless steel with nuts on the backside through the battery case. The battery & ECU need to be removed before drilling though the case...
  16. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    Bodged an inexpensive top box solution for the Girly. The previous Pelican wouldn't let the pannier box lid clear when I had all 3 on the bike:

Found a tool-boxed sized aluminium case from a surplus store for $20. Pre-made patina at no extra charge :

[​IMG]

Fabbed a quick plate from that HDPE material they use for marine applications and cutting boards. 'UV & hydrocarbon stable, impact resistant, & cuts like wood. Secured with some steel bar stock bent to a "W" to cinch it down to the rear rack. I'll explain the metal flashing along the back next slide:

[​IMG]

Lined up a couple of holes on the HDPE platform and bottom of the box. The metal flashing is the mating side of the "french cleat" wall hanger you saw on the platform. Rated for 150 lbs and makes it easy to mate:

[​IMG]

Made it "quick release" using these marine panel pins I had sitting around. They slip up from under the platform into the holes in the box. Cotter pins would work too, or lag bolts if you wanted security and left it on the bike. Although I lined the holes in the box with rubber grommets, water can't easily intrude even without them:

[​IMG]

Test Fit- the panel pins easily find their way to holes with the cleat secured first:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clean it up and jazz it up with some vinyl stripes from an entrepreneurial college inmate on the vendor page:

[​IMG]
    IronJackWhitton, Duckworth and K1W1 like this.
  17. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Pretty KLR-worthy, but the tank panniers are USGI surplus pouches and the radiator guard is a screen from a charcoal grill.:lol3

image.jpeg
  18. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks.
  19. C-Hawk

C-Hawk n00b

Oddometer:
    I put on wunderlich quick adjust handlebar bolts. Ones for the f800 fit great. Allows you to quickly adjust handlebars more upright if you need that sort of thing.
  20. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was. wanted to do it for the Shenandoah 500 but ran out of time. I have all the parts just need the time to do it. thanks for the reply