1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY & Inexpensive Tiger Mods and Farkles

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by skylerhager1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    It does sound a little vague. The bank of injectors is on the back side of the head and that stepper motor and its components are tucked in between 2 & 3. It helps to have a longer straw on whatever spray you are using. You are sort of "flying blind" spraying it in there , because you can in no way see the area you are trying to hit. But I took my tank off the first time and made a mental note of what I would need to hit in event it was needed. I've helped 2 other riders just knowing the area , and spraying what looks like randomly in the area. That make any more sense? You will/would be spraying in an upward direction , but more like you're trying to hit the the back of the head and slightly toward the tank than directly at the bottom of the tank.
  2. Boats313

Boats313 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You inspired me to give it a try. Mine's a 2015 XCX with the stock non-adjustable screen. I rummaged through my shed and found some 1" spacers, a few random bolts and screws, and cut the plastic out of the plastic storage container for some wall anchors. Went together surprisingly fast and without any of my usual first try issues.
    20170604_114734.jpg 20170604_114746.jpg

After a test ride, I stopped by the hardware store and picked up the right screws and a stainless bracket to make a permanent mod. The holes in the side bracket are an inch apart and I found a bracket with the holes already drilled and countersunk in the right spots, I just had to cut them to length and round the corners. I wrapped the spacers in electrical tape to hide the white. The whole thing cost me about $8 (counting what I used from my supplies). As a bonus, it is now adjustable. At highway speeds, it's best with the bracket level to the ground, about the middle setting. For back roads I pushed it all the way down. I can adjust it without tools and while riding, if it loosens up, I'll swap out the nuts with knobs.

20170604_150046.jpg 20170604_150056.jpg

I did notice some headlight glare on the windscreen, so I tucked electrical tape along the top of the headlight ( just the horizontal strip) and it seemed to take care of it. I won't know for sure until the next night ride.
    It's about an 80-90% solution for 8 bucks and about an hour of time, not counting test rides.
    Graybush likes this.
  3. Leo90au

Leo90au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea it makes sense mate, thanks. You say you installed a 675 stepper? I found one on ebay that's quite cheap, is it a simple install?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  4. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Yes , I did. Frankly , it's was not easy to install , but it is simple. It is essentially just a spring loaded screw. There is some stuff that needs to be removed , and the easiest way to do it would have been to pull the fuel injection bank out and install it , then replace everything as it was. I tried (successfully) to do it leaving everything in place. If I had it to do over , I'd pull the FI. Works fine , only a little "cold" idling on cold mornings , which I just give it a quick rev and it settles in fine. You can see the adjuster in this pic right behind the oil fill plug.
    IMG_3368.JPG
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  5. alpina

alpina God looks after drunks and fools. Supporter

Oddometer:
    not much, but beats the rubber band IMG_2627.JPG
    travisn000 and XRman like this.
  6. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fabbed a GPS mount for my Garmin 590 out of a piece of sheet aluminum. I bolted the I used a plasma cutter, but a hacksaw and a hand drill would work. You need a vice to clamp it in to make the bends for strength. You could also use a hammer and a sturdy corner of a work bench or counter. I've since added a Madstad so I mounted it to the support frame, and I don't need this one. I'm putting it in the Flea Market.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did my best to draw a template.

Attached Files:

8. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Headlight Cowl to counter Madstad reflection. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Made from left over roof flashing. Very thin and malleable material. Simply cut it with tin snips. Cut out two tabs and bend them down and make holes in the tabs and mount them on the headlight screws. Best to spray them black with any outdoor spray.

Total cost to me $0. The flashing came from a friend, so did the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Siorc likes this.
  9. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Note on the above; the unpainted cowl above was my first cowl. I decided to make another cowl and not cut away the excess material between the two tabs so that the cowl would cover light coming from further back, I also decided to make the cowl wider so that it would extend further in front of the headlight shield. The cowl you see mounted on Tiger is the second cowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My remedy for the screen glare was to paint the bottom of my wind screen black. Bottom edge and about 4 inches up on the back side of the screen.
  11. Piston Slap

Piston Slap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the UNI pre filter. I plan on doing a lot of off road trips with this bike so I want to protect it from the dust and dirt! Heres a video of the install I put together
    Azturbomini, S4Wrangler and sans4ver like this.
  12. ewaugh

ewaugh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my LED bulbs. I work on a military installation and the gate guards do not love my LED bulbs. If they don't accuse me of running my brights they at least give me mean looks. It's a price I am willing to pay though.
  13. Quinn Otte

Quinn Otte Wrenching > Riding

Oddometer:
    Good thread. I've done a few little DIYs. If anyone has any questions about any of them, PM me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Micro-USB hardline and low-invasiveness phone mount.
    I gutted the powerlet port but retained the spring-loaded door. Soldered in a 12V to 5V regulator and a micro-USB cable.
    For the mount, I hacked up a cheap phone holder and epoxied the other side to the back of my phone's lifeproof case. Very fast to slip the phone in, very clean and non-cluttered cockpit.

[​IMG]
    Had to replace the powerlet, though, so I could still used heated gear. Used the place under the seat. Pigtail for trickle charger too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Used a dremel and sandpaper, and cut out all the tabs from under the passenger seat. I can now comfortably fit both spare tubes under there.

[​IMG]
    Tool tube. I had access to free carbon fiber, but PVC is fine. Re-useable zip ties make it look not so clunky, but still be detachable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A little eyeliner... just used black acrylic paint on the edges of the windscreen and headlight guard. Works like a charm, totally unnoticeable, unlike some other fixes I've seen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one was free to me, but I understand not everyone has access to a 3D printer or free carbon fiber. But if you're smart, you can source some cheap materials that will work.
    Made a little shock cover to prevent crap from the rear wheel getting flung in there.

[​IMG]
    Finally, I spent way too much on this dumb thing. I should have just hacked up the factory one. But I wanted to be able to see my countershaft sprocket after I got in there for something else and noticed how horribly worn it was. I may have never had noticed if not for dumb luck... but yea. Cut down the factory sprocket guard.
  14. n2deep1901

n2deep1901 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the cyclops leds somebody have a link to some leds that are good that don't cost over $100?
  15. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought these $11 LEDs off AMZN to see if they'd work on my Barkbusters as auxiliary turn signals + running lights, to replace the crappy Storm LED set. But in the sunshine the LEDs weren't bright enough for me. I'm going to mount some Skene Photon Blasters up there instead.

Meanwhile, the $11 strips got stuck to the front end. Positives are Posi-Tapped into the horn positive, and the negatives are wired to a lead that's screwed into one of the frame bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly awe-inspiring but hey, it was just $11 + 20 minutes.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I recently tried to buy a front fender lift kit but couldn't find on that was available so I decided to made up a kit. My time to make these was worth more then what they cost but you know how that goes sometimes, I got a Rivnut tool awhile back and this seemed like a good project to try it out on.
    I kept it small at 15mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    15mm is likely all you will ever need. I've had mine on for 3 years , and run it regularly through difficult environments (mud , rock , etc...) , and it is still holding up.:thumb
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 mm works but eventually either the riser will break or the fender. Lifecubed.com makes ABS fender risers. They will break if hit hard enough with rocks caught inthe side wall knobs. The riser is cheaper than a new fender. If you can fabricate your own metal risers make sure the surface area is greater and use two bolts to attach to the fender,otherwise the Oem fender breaks at the attachment point.
  19. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Looks like Lifecubed is no longer, I just get a GoDaddy signup page when I search it. I bolted the fender on in 8 places instead of the normal 6, very solid. Too much at stake to risk a failure which can be catastrophic.
    Jump to 40 seconds in.
  20. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still there - you left off the.au http://lifecubed.com.au/bikebits/

Steve