1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY & Inexpensive Tiger Mods and Farkles

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by skylerhager1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I had the identical setup to yours (touring windscreen and ebay visor) and it exacerbated the vibration of the windscreen so badly that the buffeting got even worse...
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    we must have softer air downunder :D
    ADVraider likes this.
  3. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you bend the aluminum into a nice curve like that?

Also, what's the easiest method for cutting the teeth nice and even like yours?
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I put the peg in a vice with a short length of 25 x 6.5mm Al bar and bent the bar by hand around the end of the peg. Used a rubber mallet and vice to finish it off. Wasn't too difficult.

Once I had bent the bar I clamped it to the peg in a vice to the right length (110mm from memory) drilled a 6.5mm hole towards the back of the peg, poked a 6mm bolt through it and tightened it up.

I made a small u shaped bracket that I bolted to the where the acorn slider bolt pokes out under the peg, then fitted a couple of 5mm bolts to hold the front end of the extension. There was just enough room to get a nut in there.

Once the extension was all bolted in place (level with the top of the teeth) I just used the teeth as a jig/pattern and just hack-sawed away. Once the teeth were cut I disassembled it and cleaned it up with a file.

It took me a bout 2hrs to make the first one and 1 1/2 for the second.
    Actionable Mango likes this.
  5. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a good idea, I've been wondering if that plastic Givi toolbox can be mounted like that
  6. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok!

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with the Givi one you refer to, but I would figure that as long as it fits behind the rack and you can successfully open it along with some constructive
    bracket fabrication you should be good.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Here's a cheap mod....cost me about $30.00 NZ - The SW Motech option was slightly more expensive at around $250 NZ

IMG_2673.JPG
    You could argue as an Adventure bike Triumph should have fitted a folding shifter from the factory!

IMG_2675.JPG

My Tiger is fast becoming a Suzuki....DR front fender and RM gear shifter :fpalm
    Emmett likes this.
  8. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon,
    Is the Suzuki RM shifter the same length as the Tiger?
  9. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    yes. Exactly the same.
    IMG_2671.JPG
    9w6vx likes this.
  10. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon,

Thanks for the info.
    Do you have the part number?

There are hardly any Suzuki RM's around here locally so I will have to find it online.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    It's a generic RM shifter that you can get from any aftermarket supplier. In fact Just about any dirt bike shifter should do. The tips are the same its the splines and length that differ, which is irrelevant in this case.

It's a very simple mod. I tapped 2 x M5 .8 threads into the RM and used 5mm countersunk bolts to fix it with (with blue thread locker).

If you draw an outline of the stock shifter on to paper you can then bend it to suit the new head. (bend the stock shifter so the end is straight inline with the rest of it then rebend it a bit lower to suit) Its mild steel so wont break and is easily bent with a vice. I hacksawed the stock tip off and cleaned it up on a bench grinder. Slap on some black paint and your good to go.

I had a slight 'off' and the stock shifter bent like a pretzel and was lucky not to crack the engine case. So that was my motivation to replace it.
    9w6vx likes this.
  12. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon,

Thanks for sharing your tips and info.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Fitted some short levers - cost $75.00NZ Clutch and brake control is way improved!

Levers.JPG
    Azturbomini and hawkbox like this.
  14. Azturbomini

Azturbomini Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased my 2014 800XC used with a set of Pivot Pegz already installed. I love the pegs but I wanted/needed more platform area for standing. Being on a fixed income I had to come up with something inexpensive that would look decent, hold up well and or cheaply and easily replaced. So, I went to a bicycle shop and got a used pair of BMX pedalsi figured would suit my needs for $3 bucks. If they didn't work, I was out $3 bucks, no big deal. I took the outsides off of each pedal. Did some quick measurements and made a few quick bends. Clamped the pedal pieces where I wanted them and drilled a quick few holes. Threw some stainless bolts and nuts with nylon lock washers in the holes (some threaded into the holes) and voila!
    Believe it or not, the extensions do make quite a bit of difference. View attachment 2541268 20200303_200444.jpg
  15. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I have a folding shift lever like that on mine. My only gripe is the all-metal peg really began wearing on my boots. I slipped a piece of rubber fuel line over the end and all is well. (Yes, it still pivots)
  16. ride200mi

ride200mi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for something to carry some tools and this looks very cool! Thanks for the idea!!
  17. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    I picked up these inexpensive short levers from Ali Express and they actually turned out very nice for a total of $19.73 including shipping to the US. Also, they came in only 13 days! They installed with no issues and I'm totally happy with them unless they turnout to be made of recycled human body parts or something. For $19 it makes you wonder!

US $19.94 5%OFF | For Triumph TIGER 800/XC 2011 2012 2013 2014 Motorcycle Accessories Short Brake Clutch Levers
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPGprqT 20200918_013907.jpg View attachment 2550410
    Night Falcon likes this.
  18. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Pic 20200918_013924.jpg
    Night Falcon likes this.
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    I reckon they're the same as mine. Work great. Claimed specs are: Billet 6061-T6 aluminum, CNC manufactured, Anodized colour coating
    Assuming that's true they will be fine. I think when you cut out almost all the overheads associated with western manufacturing and mass produce items you can get prices down quite low for simple components.
    Azturbomini likes this.
  20. Azturbomini

Oddometer:
    Yeah very true. It sure beats the hell out of spending $100+ IMO on another lever that's not going to look or feel that's much different. The bottom line is that they work fine for me.
    Also, there's really not very many people making inexpensive levers for 2010-2014 out there.
    Night Falcon likes this.