1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY & Inexpensive Tiger Mods and Farkles

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by skylerhager1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's also easier to drop prices if you are in some SE Asian country that doesn't give a crap about copyrights or trademarks, you've blatantly stolen someone else's design, and don't need to recoup any R&D expenses.
    I'm very happy with my Pazzo Racing levers. Yes, they did cost more than your knock-offs.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    I take it you don't eat Asian food outside of Asia?
    hawkbox likes this.
  3. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $5 windshield mod

Love my new '12 800 Roadie, but had some high speed buffeting. After taking a look at the mounts, I realized that since the front middle mount rotates, the whole screen could be angled differently.

Two knurled bolts and a package of door hardware later, I could change the angel up or down a few degrees at the side of the road. The pics below are full down and full up, but it can sit at 5 positions in between.

IMG_8172.jpeg IMG_8167.jpeg IMG_8171.jpeg
  4. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Spaceweasel,

Nice mod!
    Was the wind buffeting greatly reduced?
    And at which angle helped to reduce the wind buffeting the most?

I have a 2018 XR 800 and have the same windscreen which honestly sucks and added a cheap wind deflector. It helps but it's not perfect.

Thanks
  5. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It moved the buffeting around, but did not eliminate it. It was noticeably softer at full up, and increased the size of the "bubble" I could lean into to find quiet.

I, too, ordered a cheap add on deflector. But before it could arrive I found a '14 adjustable screen. Just put it on yesterday but haven't had a chance to compare between the two yet.
    9w6vx likes this.
  6. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    What screen did you get?
  7. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stock screen from a '14 XC. It's slightly bigger than the one that came on my '12 and adjustable. The PO had gotten a madstad. I had a short drive with it today and it wobbles more and I didn't find a great deal of difference with the adjustments I tried. More experimentation is in order.
    9w6vx likes this.
  8. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Share your results with us.

:-)
  9. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    I pre-planned for the accessories I wanted to add to the bike and manufactured a wire harness specific for my needs. The multi color wire set, loom, heat shrink, molex connectors kit, and electrical tape all cost me under $60.00. 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200419134524144_COVER~2.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200419144941351_COVER.jpg
    Jimr80gs, 9w6vx and Siorc like this.
  10. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Found a price of metal in the trash at work and thought that it looked like it might fit infront of my radiator. Luckily for me it was quite literally an exact fit. This metal mesh is the window barrier for a K9 kennel in a police car. It gets removed and tossed out when we install a fan in the window. Total investment, $0.0051 worth of zip ties to hold it in place. IMG_20200411_102948.jpg
  11. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    This is my last mod for the night. I cut some metal stock to sweep from the clutch pearch to under the multifunction switch. This houses my fog light and abs cut off switch. The location of the buttons is an easy reach for my thumb. Including the switches , metal, and paint I have a total investment of $18. 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200418140832543_COVER.jpg
  12. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    I wish I was more mechanically and electrically inclined.

Nice work!
  13. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best wind reduction is (no surprise) the larger OEM adjustable windshield at full up with the $15 Ebay add-on clipped to the top, also at full up. The wobbling is (also no surprise) more pronounced with this set up. But the wind pocket is almost entirely above my helmet and the noise is drastically reduced.
    9w6vx and Night Falcon like this.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Yep ...thats my set-up, works great.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Can I enquire what you did to switch out the ABS?
  16. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.

As for me, i use the stock windshield which is non adjustable + el-cheapo add wind deflector at almost the full up position worked for me. Wind is just above the visor for me (5' 10"/178cm).
    I actually backed off from full up by about 4 or 5 positions as I noticed it gave me some calm wind to relieve the heat.
    Spaceweasel likes this.
  17. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you get wobbling from the smaller non-adjustable stock windscreen?
  18. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Actually I'm surprised this mod has not made it to this thread yet! In all fairness I can not take credit for the following information as I have copied it from another thread. This is by faaaaaaaaar my favorite diy mod to the bike. Well worth the 30 min to do the job.

"Tiger 800 - ABS bypass switch
    Turning off ABS on the Tiger 800 is a little tedious via the menu system.
    If you want a switch on the ‘bars instead, here’s one way to do it.

You will need:
    - 1x relay that has NC (normally closed) circuit. (5-pin usually)
    - 1x Inline fuse holder
    - 1x push-button engine kill switch
    - Extra length of wiring
    - Soldering iron, heatshrink, female spade connectors

The solution involves cutting power to the ABS circuit. A momentary break is all that is required for the system to disable itself.

There are two ABS fuses under the seat. Experimentation from others has found cutting #1 takes a few seconds to disable the system, whilst a break in #2 circuit disables the ABS instantly. #2 is the one you want.

- Put your switch on the handlebars and run the wiring back to the main fuse box area under the seat.
    - Lift the fuse block from its location.
    - Pull the #2 ABS fuse from the fuse holder.
    - Locate the wire on the underside – mine was yellow.
    - To remove the wire from the fuse holder, I pushed a small screwdriver down from the top to release a pin. The wire then can be pulled out from below.
    - Cut this wire, leaving enough for joining more wire to either end.
    - Wire as per the diagram…
    - The “live” end goes to 87a on the relay.
    - The other end nearest the fuse goes to 30 on the relay.
    - One handlebar switch wire goes to 86 on the relay.
    - The other handlebar switch wire goes to the positive terminal on the battery via an inline fuse
    - Connect a ground to terminal 85 on the relay.

When you push the button, you complete the relay circuit thus opening the relay and cutting the ABS circuit.

Obviously this is altering the factory wiring and playing with the ABS, so in the interests of safety don't attempt it if you are not confident!" tapatalk_-1326496763_624x521.jpg
  19. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Another cheap mod I like on all my bikes is the Blinker Genie for my directionals. It changes the functionality of the lights from directionals only to running and directional lights. For me this helps with the visibility of the bike in all weather conditions. Well worth the $25 per set of lights. 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200420215548406_COVER~3.jpg Blnker-Genie-Diagram_large.gif
    9w6vx likes this.
  20. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for this. It's my next mod. Stopping to disengage ABS is a PITA! I already have some spare Auxiliary fuses wired to the battery so half the job is already done :D
    IMG_1837.JPG
    Whale Rider and 9w6vx like this.