DIY Oil seal press?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hyland770, Apr 22, 2013.

1. hyland770

hyland770 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Im having trouble installing a final drive oil seal behind the front sprocket on a honda xl 250s.

I wondered if anyone has ever made a home-made oil seal press or has any ideas on how to fit really tight oil seals.

I tried freezing the seal over night but when i went to hammer it in the lip around the OD of the seal just sheered off, ive also tried heating them up to make them more workable and plain brute force (socket and lump hammer) but its being tricky to get in.

Its a pretty tight fit but i thought i might try and make some kind of seal press to fit it in, anyone had a go at this before!?
  2. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    check out www.homemadetools.net, there are a few bearing and seal presses there though most are for automotive work.
    The search engine there is not great, Google site search often works better (here too sometimes)
  3. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

use a plastic bottle, cut open to hold rubber seal lips in...

use a socket of proper dimension to drive home.

slip bottle out.
    freezing will only work on a metal bearing.
  4. seniorasi

seniorasi Banned

Oddometer:
    What an awesome website! Thanks for sharing that one!:clap
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    If the shaft has a threaded hole (like a crankshaft) I use a long bolt and an arrangement of assorted sockets, washers, and nuts to push the seal into place gently.
  6. Laconic

Laconic Studiously Unimpressed

Oddometer:
    Correct diameter/length PVC pipe over the countershaft with a big washer, use countershaft nut to press in the seal?
  7. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of the above. use a thin bottle or tin can to protect the inside of the seal and a piece of pvc pipe with a slit in the side, and a hose clamp to tighten it down to the right circumference if necessary. A little grease or oil on the contact points might be necessary.