DIY storage tube write-up, with locking interface! Vstrom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by zed88, Jul 2, 2007.

1. zed88

zed88 n00bilicious

Oddometer:
    Materials needed:
    1 Stanley ¾” double hinge clasp lock 1 2” Section of 4” pipe (either normal, or thinwall)
    1 Waterproof lock
    1 4” End cap for drinking water (you can also use a flat end)
    1 4” female end
    1 4” screw on Male cap
    1 PVC Primer
    1 PVC Cement
    1 can of Krylon black fusion
    1 caulk or other waterproofing agent

Tools
    Hacksaw
    File
    Screwgun with 1/8th drill bit
    Rag

Sorry for the poor pictures, I don’t have a digital camera.

Go ahead and cut the pipe to a desired length (I used 17”) with a hacksaw, and then use a file to remove the burred edges. Wipe all dust off with water. After you have done that sandpaper the edges to get it roughed up a bit and apply PVC primer to both pieces. Then apply Cement to both the inside, and outside of both pipes. Twist the end cap on with a ¾ turn and let dry for 5-15 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Repeat this for securing the other end (male/female end).

Now attach the latch as shown. You will need to drill pilot holes with a 1/8th drill. Make sure to apply some caulk to the back of the screws to maintain a waterproof seal when done. The latch also doubles as a lever if the lid should the lid get stuck. Make sure you have the lid screwed down all the way before installing the hinge. Otherwise it won’t line up!
    [​IMG]

After screwing it down and caulking, let it dry for awhile. If you feel like it, you can cut off the screws before you caulk over them. I didn’t mind the little bumps so I left them in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you can paint it with your desired color. I use krylon fusion because its supposed to bond to plastic good. After it has finished mount it on the bike. Don’t forget to loctite your screws so they don’t vibrate off. I used some steel L brackets, rubber offsets, and hose clamps. I’m partial to how JBH painted his:
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=209926&postcount=352

You can also run a bungee around the lock to keep it from vibrating, and banging against things.

Congrats, you now have a secure, durable, waterproof, connection that distributes weight low on the bike, and is an efficient use of space. It’s tough enough to get ejected from the bike, and keep all your tools intact. If you are going off-road you can throw your phone and wallet in it. Best of all it was less than $40!

Eric :jkam
  2. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!

I like it.
  3. ADAMD

ADAMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That lock is too big for my liking, but a great idea! What about one of those combination lock biners?

[​IMG]
  4. RicH2

RicH2 Ric H2

Oddometer:
    Huhhh...nice work...now lets see a picture of it mounted on the bike....Please...
  5. zed88

zed88 n00bilicious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be mounting the givi racks tonight, so I will post pictures when I'm done.

I think I'm also going to add a piece of foam to the bottom end to decrease rattling and vibrations.

You can definitely use a smaller lock, I just had this one laying around. A smaller hasp, and smaller lock would blend in better :)
  6. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Painting it black?

You do know they make black pipe? :wink:

[​IMG]
  7. sbdep

sbdep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The black pipe is the ABS pipe which has a much thicker wall, and is significantly more expensive than PVC pipe. At least around here in Ottawa. 3 feet of 4" ABS pipe for $13 vs 10 feet of 4" PVC for $10. All prices in Canadian dollars.
  8. DrEvil

DrEvil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3$ more? umm, i think a can of black spray paint would be that much, and not look as clean.
  9. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be a regional thing. I've gone to four different plumber supply places in my area (Lowe's, Home Depot, and two small been-around-for-50-years kind of places) looking for the black stuff and they all told me the same thing - "They stopped using that black ABS stuff around here 10 or 15 years ago". Looks like I have no choice but to use black paint too.
    RedEX likes this.
  10. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I've been wanting to take advantage of that blank space behind my givi rack too. The piece of pipe with end caps is a no-brainer. As a potato gun smith, I could whip that out in no time..

Mounting it to the rack in a clean looking secure way is the tricky part. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for that.
  11. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    :freaky

Smart, saw a similar mod done on the 650GS before. Also a good idea is a fake exhaust, there's a company that sells them for the F650. A discarded 1000 exhaust would make an ideal secret compartment. Good job. :thumb
  12. wibby

Oddometer:
    Mine's pretty low tech, couple strips of UHMW
    It's held so far for over 30,000 miles

[​IMG]
  13. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    HA.. I was thinking of doing something JUST like this. However, since I took my can off thousands and thousands of miles ago, I was gonna look into installing a false muffler and using it to store all my shit, yet it would look JUST like a muffler, so the cops wouldnt NEVER even look at me. Maybe I can fit a small...eh...."adventure handgun" in there. You know.. for all the big ass Grizzly bears out here in coastal California! LOL
    Sweet write up!
  14. zed88

zed88 n00bilicious

Oddometer:
    I finished painting it tonight. After much head scratching (mounting it is difficult), I figured I was making it too complicated and looked around the garage to see what I had laying around. Lo and behold I found some nice U Bolts, washers and lock nuts lying around. Drill a few holes, and it pops right on. The pictures show the front U Bolt, and then on the rear of the can I used a pipe clamp, with rubber insulator.

Has anyone ever had the pipe smack the chain guard if you really hit a bump? I tried to retain maximum clearance but I still wonder.

Painted:
    [​IMG]
    Bike with my new luggage:
    [​IMG]
    Looking down from the back:
    [​IMG]
    U-bolt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No pics of the pipe clamp. Sorry
  15. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you're talkin'! :D

I put one together for my cousin a couple weeks back. A large time was had by all.
  16. wibby

Oddometer:

I ditched the chain guard the first time I tried doing chain maitenance
  17. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    Finally got mine build this week. Turned out not tooo shabby! Painted and mounted. Its a bit snug for all my tools and tire repair crap, but its good enough for me!!
    [​IMG]
  18. clawspawn

clawspawn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it:clap anny extra space find a use for it:lol3
  19. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up. I have mine mounted on the Caribou rack, totally secure.

I debated a locking mechanism, but finally decided that the extra complexity wasn't worth it. My view is that if you lock something, people wonder what's inside. I spent two months through Mexico and Central America without a lock and never had a problem.

Jamie
    RedEX likes this.
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Bumping, cause it's a good thread. :evil