1. eNewsletter Sign Up

DIY Tank Bag or Universal Straps?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern_Rider777, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems, other than tank bags with the locking ring setup (GIVI), most tank bags use a strap system. I am starting to think about a DIY setup, an existing bag with decent anchor points ( MOLLE, daisy chain etc), or DIY ones sewn on, could I not just strap this to the tank with some ROK straps etc? What am I missing?

Is it the bag itself, more than the straps, as I could see a converted bag maybe sliding a round versus specific model tank bags with a moulded bottom?
  2. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    all I saw are using magnets. Never seen straps. I stopped shopping real fast after realizing the insane annoyance of something over the tank... just fyi
  3. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tank bags are designed to fit your tank, if you strap a backpack or random bag on there, it will be annoying with how it fits to the tank or your body, it may sit weird, the zipper may not work, or it will lose half it's carrying capacity due to the weird shape.
    Maybe you will get lucky with the shape of your tank, maybe you won't. Nothing stopping you from trying though.
  4. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like most moto stuff there are always DIY options, but don't discount the engineering that goes into specific products. I rode for years with snowboard gloves in the winter, rain gear designed for cycling, backpacks strapped to my tank, flak jackets for protection etc. It was all fine and did it's job, but I'm never going back. I saved up and got some used gear and I just never realized what I was missing until I got some purpose designed good gear.

I'm not advocating buying stuff for the sake, evaluate your options and see what works for you and your budget.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  5. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    I made my own. I went to an outdoor store, and bought some Cordura, straps, and buckles. I used tag-board for a prototype/pattern. I sewed it up on my mom's vintage Singer. I often had to manually turn the needle thru multiple layers. I used interior straps in an x, so it can be tightened even more. What once was 'royal blue,' has fade from years into a 'sky blue.'
    tankbag.png
    Square1 likes this.
  6. Northern_Rider777

Oddometer:
    Flak jacket, what CE level would that be, 4 perhaps? Lol.

Your point is a good one, in a way, the tank is the place that likely requires the most engineering to sit securely and fit decently.
  7. Northern_Rider777

Oddometer:
    You nailed the fit perfectly! Sadly, no time for sewing machine projects, maybe over the winter!
  8. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option is to use a gas-cap quick release mounting system from Givi, SW-Motech, or whoever, mounted to a piece of plastic cutting board. Then you get the QD feature, and you can mount any type of bag you want to the cutting board, whether a traditional tank bag or something else. It would be easy to drill holes or slots, etc. in the cutting board to accomodate straps, bungies, etc.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a solid anchor point for Roc straps so they won't slide around? Will you be able to tighten left, right, front, and rear separately so the bag doesn't shift off center? (Might only need 3 straps, but you'll need to prevent shifting in any direction.

You might put a flat bag on a tank. The peaked tank will make it's own indentation. It will remove interior volume and probably change the shape of the bag, but might work if it's secured well. Tank bags usually have fabric on the bottom that won't scratch as much as the fabric on the top.

The Versys 300 has bodywork beside the tank that includes bolts just ahead and outboard of the fuel cap. Those 2 bolts plus the bolt(s) that secure the tank under the seat might provide a triangle of solid points for straps. I used similar attachment points on a KLR for a very solid mount. No hooks anywhere -- only Fastex buckles on 2 straps in front and a Velcro strap to a buckle that sticks out in front and above the seat.

I've made 2 tank bags and both had cups to hold the fuel cap. (My bikes all have caps sticking up; none are flush.) The bottoms are also cupped to conform to the tank.

Don't let anyone who's never used a tank bag convince you that they're inconvenient.
  10. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at the Giant Loop tank bag setup with it's zipper system to allow access to the gas cap. Another option is the Kriega tank adapter that you can use as a base to mount bags to. I am working on an adapter setup so I can use the Giant Loop Klamath tailpack as a tank bag. Lots of options for tank bags out there you just have to find the one that works for you. Maybe a backpack?