DK ADV Touring US, Canada and Alaska on KTM950ADV

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DKADV, Mar 21, 2007.

1. DKADV

DKADV Travel is education

Oddometer:
    Denmark. USA, Canada & Alaska on KTM950ADV and 950
    [​IMG]:thumb Hey!

I sold my house, business and about everything I owned (incl. my HP2)[​IMG] in Denmark, and went on a plane to the US's eastcoast (Fredericksburg VA). On my second day in the US, I purchased a KTM950ADV 06'. It's now broken in, done very little offroad but it's time will come:evil Thinking of leaving VA round april 10th.

My plan is: Go west, southwest, do some of the TAT, do some sanddunes on the westcoast, go north and end up somewhere in Alaska... Not a detailed plan, but they will come along the way. There should be plenty of oppotunaties to do some serius offroad through this trip...:wink:

I'll try to get online and post pics and stories along the way. Hopefully I'll meet alot of ADVRIDERS, who's got some knowledges about where to ride and what to see, and where to stay... Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Looking forward to meet people and get some adventure. Might see you out there.
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan, take your time, smell the roses.:ricky :ricky :ricky

DW
  3. GB

GB . Administrator

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  4. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    hey there - you get out to Oregon/Nevada and we'll show you a custom dirt tour on that bad beast of yours!

[​IMG]
  5. keillor

keillor NWn00b

Oddometer:
    I'm excited. :lurk
  6. DKADV

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I'm looking for!!:clap Looks really nice. Should be in that area by middel of may. But then again, my plan is not tight at all!
  7. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Lots of good back roads to explore here.
    [​IMG]
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    HEllo and welcome.

Might I suggest you think about being in Dawson, Yukon in Canada for Solstice with many other advriders. Fun!

Check out the 'Great White North' forum for the D2D (Dust to Dawson) ride thread.

Otherwise, maybe see you when you get this far north. Mark H.
  9. DKADV

Oddometer:
    Hey AKDuc!

Thanks, I just signed on the D2D. Should be perfect timing for me being in that area.
    If not before, I'll see you there. I'll be the one with the "DKADV" licensplate and the Danish flag:beer
  10. DKADV

Oddometer:
    Hey Deuce.
    :cromag I just gotta look into my Zumo to find out where that would be... But I got plenty of time on my hands, but no home...:jkam Actually a really nice feeling.
  11. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    In that case, there's a KTM Adventure Tour in Mammoth CA 6/22-24/07. Put some dirt tires on your bike and be there..

www.ktmadventuretours.com
  12. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  13. DKADV

Oddometer:
  14. Gert

Gert Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    Hej og god tur fra en udedansker i Amerika. Hvad er dine videre planer?
    Hvis du skulle komme til Georgia, så kom endelig forbi. Vi har the North Georgia Mountains lige for døren, så der er masser at se.

Igen, hilsen og god tur,

Gert

BTW: Der er selvfølgelig også et Dannebrog på min 950....
  15. Wandering Dane

Wandering Dane We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer:
    Vi har fantastiske steder at ride i Colorado men det blir nok juni foer sneen er vaek. Send mig en PM hvis du kan komme forbi i loebet af sommeren.

Lars
  16. DKADV

Oddometer:
    Thursday 17th.
    Bike's all set up, I'm upset... Well I started out in Fredericksburg VA with a friend of mine. Went up to Skyline drive through some nice backroads and gravel. After Skyline drive I was going to continue down Blue Ridge Parkway, and my friend was gonna stay in a hotel and then head back to Fredericksburg the next day.
    Since the rain was hammering down and the fog was like the mirror in a sauna, I decided to share that hotel for the night.

Friday morning:Beautifull! Sunny no wind, clouds, fog or deere on the road. My friend took of to go east. I went west, and I will for a very long time...
    30 miles and I got a flat rear!!:ddog Off course I'm in the middle of no where on the mountain... At least I didn't crash:D I got everything on the bike but tireirons. They didn't have the aloy ones that I wanted at the KTM-shop. After some sweat I got the wheel of with other tools, patch the tube and put it back together. Pumped it with 3 co2canister-things, but it never blow out to the rim. I nice guy on a FJR1300 stopped and wanted to help. We put two more co2things in, but still no contact between tire and rim on both sides...
    Hide my bags and packs behind some rocks, and went slowly down the mountain followed by the FJR just in case. Got fixed at the gasstation 10 miles from my bags.
    Then I was on the road again.
    Stayed the night at a campground in the mountains. Freesing at night!!!

Saturday did alot of curves and really scenic routes, and ended up in Hot Springs NC. Went to the local pub and had ribs and beer. Early night after talking to some people at the bar and a biker from the campground.

Sunday alot of corners on the mountain and ended up in Great falls nat. park TN.

I'm working on getting the pic's into the computer, so bare with me for now...
  17. VascoMerlin

VascoMerlin He'll Stab Your Cat

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Beatah,

Head down to the local Wal Mart and pick up a cheap Cambell Hausfeld pump. Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

You'll need to rig up a cigarette plug to run it, but WAAAAY better than the CO2 things. Just happens to fit perfectly under the seat along with the stock tool kit. It costs about $12. You know, about what a beer costs in Copenhagen:lol3 .

Have fun and get thee to the west!!
  19. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Drop me a line when you get to soCal. If you want to ride desert I know some pretty cool trails in the high and low deserts. Cool trip, I have been planning something similar, might be a year or two yet though!
    Later
  20. DKADV

Oddometer: