DL650 and F650GS weights

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by autolycos, Oct 21, 2008.

1. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, Dave92029 obviously means 40% more HP and 25% more torque at same engine speed ...
  2. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In that case, he has it backwards. The F650Gs makes roughly 40% more torque and 25% more
    HP at the same engine speed, until 8K RPM, that is.

Attached Files:

3. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was removing my post since I saw my mistake. I see that you already posted a reply to it.

Florianopolis lies south of the Equator. That would explain it :lol3 . You know, water turning counter-clockwise in the drain and all that ...
  4. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Conrado, nice post a few minor corrections?

Höchstgeschindigkeit (Herstellerangabe) is Top speed (provided by manufacturer)

Kratstoffverbrauch is fuel consumption in liters per 100 km:

3.9 l/100km is about 60.3 mpg in the US
    4.0 is 58.8 mpg.
    4.6 is 51.1 mpg.

Theoretische Reichweite is "theoretical range"

180 kmh is about 111 mph. Many folks say the twin plug DL650's (07+) are slower but get better mileage than the earlier models: blue 05's are fastest of all.:D
  5. garandman

Oddometer:
    If you are a single guy a BMW has much better curb appeal.

It may come as a shock to some that a substantial number of V-Strom owners are former BMW owners who can afford the price tag - just don't choose to.
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As you can see, the 2-cylinder, 800cc "F650GS" and WeeStrom have about the same top end power. BMW has 150cc extra, so naturally it has much more torque.
  7. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. When I had the Harley, all the neighborhood wives wanted rides. When I switched to BMW - nada.
  8. garandman

Oddometer:
    Go find the preppies and flight attendants. Worked for me: had an R65 that I bought from an Army buddy.

A sailboat works even better and a Labrador Retriever works best! Which is why I've been married for 10 years.....
  9. DrDale

DrDale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't forget, the F650GS has a single disc up front, while the DL650 has twin discs. That accounts for some of the differnce in weight. The additional fuel probably adds at least 10 pounds also.

I'm riding a 06 DL650 I purchased new, and am quite happy with it. The F650GS does intrigue me. The 800GS and the 990 KTM are just toooo tall for me. It'll be interesting to follow the reliability, cost and maintenance issues of the beemer as time goes on.

They're experimenting with the 800 BMW engine for AMA Flattrack. Team Suzuki has been using the DL1000 engine for several years and has started using the SV650 engine this past season - new management and rules coming for '09 make the 650 more desirable, especially on the half mile ovals. They'll probably still use the 1000 on the mile tracks. The Suzukis have been the most reliable, bulletproof and least maintenance intensive bikes on the track. It'll be interesting to see the development of the BMW and see if they can make it competitive with the Harleys and Suzukis and how reliable it is under racing conditions.
  10. garandman

Oddometer:
    Interesting you quote that! I looked it up and 6 liters of gasoline weighs - drumroll - 10 lbs!

Ya gotta ride 'em, regardless of specs.
  11. GotaCohiba

GotaCohiba Adventurer

Oddometer:

I've come to the same conclusion.
  12. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, they're really not competitors. The F650GS is a better off roader and better 'round town bike. The DL is a long distance sport tourer with a bit better off road capability than a normal street bike. They're just different. It drives me crazy that people 'choose' between the two. If you know how you ride and where, it's kinda obvious which to choose.
  13. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :1drink
  14. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about the 650 single I'd agree with you, but the twin is no less a tourer than a 1200GS. My wife's looking at getting one soon. She test road it and says it a similar ride to her old strom.
  15. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I've heard mixed tidings about the long term comfort compared to a DL, but I'm hoping it will work for me over longer distances or can be Corbinated. :1drink