DL650A 2007 Headlight - what causes this?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pecha72, May 25, 2020.

1. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 90k kms, some in wintry road conditions with salt and subsequent corrosion, which might fully well explain all this... But anyway, now as I turn the switch on, there´s no headlights (low or high, it does not matter, flipping their switch does nothing), but only parking lights and instrument panel lights come on. Then start the engine (the battery is only about two years old, and has been maintained during winter storage, would be very surprised if it´s causing any problems), fires up nicely, but still no headlights. Then wait a bit... I would say anywhere between 3 and 20 seconds, and voila: there´s the headlights. And then those headlights seem to work while riding, in fact I´ve been reaching over the instruments while riding just to see, that they are still on. Have not noticed once, that they would not be on, while riding.
    This bike did have a previous problem with its headlights maybe 5-6 yrs ago, the shop spent some time trying to find the culprit, in the end it was either a connector below the fuel tank, or inside the RH switch box, can´t remember which one. But back then, there was absolutely no headlights at all, until it was solved. What´s happening now, seems downright weird. The headlights should come on, when you put the switch to "ON", not after you have fired up the engine, AND waited a little more.... problem is, right now is the short riding season over here, and good time for bigger overhauls would be next Oct/Nov onwards. I´m not sure if I trust it not to short circuit at any time, and possibly cause an even bigger problem. Even if not, I don´t like the idea, that the lights could go off at any time. Anybody ever had a similar problem with their DL650 headlight, and if so, did you possibly find out, what was causing it?
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starter relay. Clean the contacts and buy a new one off eBay.

Forward of the battery, down and left.
    REALGRAVEROBBER and Pecha72 like this.
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Turns out I had a starter relay as spare that I once carried on a long trip... changed already. But sadly, the lights are still acting up. Sure hope it´s not just "somewhere" in the wiring harness.. could be a bugger to locate.
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought an ‘07 brand-new. Back in about 2011 I had pretty much the same issue. In my case, there were a batch of bikes released with faulty harnesses known to have wires break. (There was a Technical Service Bulletin, not a recall, issued by Suzuki Motor of America.)

The ‘fix’ had run its course by the time I had my issue, and Suzuki refused to replace the entire harness. But they did pay for the dealer to ‘jump’ the known area of trouble on my bike. (Dealer knew right where to look.) I never had another issue with it. I owned the bike for 6 more years after the fact, sold it to an Inmate in here 3 years ago, and saw the bike in person this past Saturday, by the way.

That was a long time ago, but I seem to remember the bikes affected by that were narrowed down to North American units only. But it may be worth a call to a dealer to see if they have anything on file for that issue for the ‘07 model year. At least it could give you a location of the problem area so you could at least have a look.
    Hannda and Pecha72 like this.
  5. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you press the starter button, the track in which it glides momentarily disconnects the power to the headlight, and upon release of the starter button it connects power to the headlights.

In your case, the switch has come of the track not restoring power to the headlights.

Open up the starter switch, get it back on its track and grease it, and your problem will be sorted
    Pecha72 likes this.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The H4 connectors also tend to burn up and the contacts open. (At the back of the bulbs). That's also a bitch to diagnose.
    I'd guess loom if the relay has been eliminated, but having a really hard look at those connectors may solve it. You can buy spares ON pigtails which is the easy way to replace them.
    Pecha72 likes this.
  7. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But it eventually does restore power, because the lights do come on?
    This could be a good guess though, as there seems to be something, that´s causing a delay. To be not so simple, it does not happen every time - I just tried it, and the lights came on instantly, go figure. But thanks, I sort of suspect the RH switch myself, need to check it out.
  8. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Switch is off track but still makes irratic contact as you hit bumps.

Trust me, service the switch, your problems will be sorted.

Had to do that with my last V-Strom.
    Pecha72 likes this.
  9. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, AI-X is right, its probably the starter button, Google "black lab adventures", look under "DL650 maintenance journal" , then "start switch maintenance", there`s even pictures. Or you could buy the headlight relay kit from Eastern Beaver, It seemed that every year on my 08 dl650 I had to clean the switch, so I bought the kit. emti
    Pecha72 likes this.
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, haven´t had the opportunity to mess with the RH switch yet.....
    But i actually noticed something yesterday.
    IF the steering is turned all the way to the left (like when using steering lock), then when I turn the switch on, the lights actually DO come on immediately. So far 100% success rate on this, tried it probably 15 times.
    IF the steering is at center (or towards the right), then it is much more random, if the lights come on immediately, when turning the switch on, or not. Turning the steering definitely affects it. Probably pulls the electric wires a bit.
  11. Al-X

Al-X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember my 650 doing the opposite when i installed protaper bars, it pinched a wire somewhere turning left, causing the lights to go off, rerouting the wires sorted that.
    Pecha72 likes this.
  12. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now thinking it is most likely a problem with the connector below the fuel tank, which is between the main wiring harness and the sub-harness, that runs up to the instuments & handlebars. Actually the service guy remembers now, that the problem was actually there the last time also (but there were no lights back then). Think I have a service manual somewhere, need to check the wiring diagram. Also need to try to pull those wires by hand and see what that does. But yea, now starting to look like I will need to take off the tank.