DMC trail-reducing lower fork bridge for '06-'12 BMW R1200GS

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CVAN, Nov 30, 2020.

1. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    Good evening all...

I have a '12 BMW GS tug with a DMC Expedition car. I swapped out the front wheel for a 17" RT wheel, and with the reduced wheel diameter, I no longer need the DMC fork bridge.

I've searched the archives, but I can't find any info on these here or on the DMC website.

Does anyone know if there is a market for these? Any idea what a fork brace with less than 1500 miles is worth?

Thanks...

CJ

upload_2020-11-30_20-1-17.jpeg
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    DMC charges $1200 for a new one so putting it up for sale in the FOR SALE sticky thread for $600 would be reasonable. As for the market, I think most guys with an oilhead GS already have some sort of trail reducing mod, but for somebody putting together a homebuild it might be just the ticket. Helluva alot cheaper than buying LL's from the Netherlands.

Note: not saying that Dutch LL's and a DMC steering mod are apples to apples. They are not. But I have the DMC steering mod on my oilhead GS, along with the 17" RT wheel and a DeDome mod, and it's good enough for me. Dutch LL's would be a nice upgrade, but I get around OK with my cheap ass forks. Doubters may check either of my sig threads. Somebody on a tight budget doing a homebuild would do OK with that bridge.
  3. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    A 2012 GS would be a camhead.

I'll get my coat and see myself out.
    rg sw wa., draperg1, CVAN and 2 others like this.
  4. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok DRONE checking yourself :clap

Is the OP really sure he wants to sell it the 17" frnt wheel with a rear tire is almost the same diameter as the 19 or is the steering allot easier with the 17" wheel ?
    Oops checking https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    It could be 2 " shorter :hmmmmm
    rg sw wa. and LBS-USA like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy! Hope you are enjoying that rig. I followed your progress bringing it home from Vegas, but after that you've been kind of quite. I was hoping to see you bring your rig over to that next WARPED event. Maybe next year?

I've got a DMC trail reducing lower fork bridge in a box somewhere out in the garage for my 07 GSA. I took it off my rig when I went to the smaller Stoker wheel.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    Of course it is. Thanks for catching my brain-fade.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    The spirit of its former owner has yet to relinquish ownership; I swear, his spirit is the source of never-ending gremlins on this rig. I continue to hammer away at the punch-list of never-ending problems, and I am hopeful that it will be ready for touring by April.

Be forewarned that I'll be pestering all of you again in the not-too-distant future when it comes to getting it properly setup; my last attempt was a colossal failure.
  8. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone; I'll put it up in the Hacks FM and see what happens.

And I'm sure I want to sell it, @davebig...with the smaller diameter front end, the rig seems rather twitchy with the DMC mod. I've also acquired one of @Stroker's works of engineering art, and that will be installed shortly.
    rg sw wa., draperg1 and Bobmws like this.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    For me, there's three basic GS's-- airheads, oilheads, and wetheads. Never paid much attention to the various types within. Anyway, the lower fork brace is the same for all the R1200GS and GSA's from 2005 to 2012. Water cooled 2013 and later, no.
  10. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Pretty much, although the 1200GS was introduced in '04 and the 1200GSA in '06. I don't know about the trail reducers, but I know that an '04 and '05 requires a different subframe from DMC.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    This fits all oil head R1200GS bikes from 2004 until the 2013 GSA. unlike some others on the market this retains the internal brake hose splitter. 04 and 05 the center stand is in a different location then 06 and newer which is the reason for a different sub frame.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    rg sw wa., draperg1, CVAN and 2 others like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I swear that once you attach a sidecar to a bike, the rig develops a personality of it's own.

Feel free to reach out, we are so full of advice around here, we can't hardly stand it.:lol3
    rg sw wa., draperg1, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  13. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    :lol3...so I've noticed! And it's VERY much appreciated.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    My recollection is that you bought this rig from an estate at a super low price. Is that right? Have you added up all the money you've spent on it so far? Wondering if it's still considered to be a bargain. :D
    rg sw wa., draperg1 and brstar like this.
  15. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    I've heard rumors that the folks in the basement are rather cruel. I suspect that they don't hold a candle to this crowd.

That "super-low price" evaporated with the engine rebuild...at 3503 miles...total...since new...which BMW completely disowned. I've come to the conclusion that owning a rig is akin to owning a boat; it's hole in the world into which you throw a never-ending stream of dollar bills. I suspect that the next-best day of ownership will be the day I sell it. I'm cured from ever wanting a boat. Or another BMW. :baldy

Thankfully, my wife doesn't pay any attention to what I spend on motorcycles, so I've got that going for me.
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    It's those pesky Uralistas who are the sensitive ones! :lol3

And indeed, much like a hole in the water where the money goes (aka: Boat), I liken sidecars to building a custom hot rod, where you will NEVER get back what you've put into it! Also you now own a bastard with parts from all kinds of different types of vehicles cobbled together to make your dream rig.
  17. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    Corrected to more accurately represent the current state of being.
  18. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club!
    :beer

Although you do seem to have topped me right out of the gate. :dirtdog

:rofl

Page 1-of-2.

[​IMG]

Page 2-of-2

[​IMG]

Not counting the "Used gearbox supplied by customer." $550 for a (26k mile? I forget.) unit from Beemer Bonyard.

But I have hope to catch up! There's a mystery overheating problem, many little parts hitting their mid-life crisis, and for some damn reason...

this nut, the illuminated one,

[​IMG]

is now rubbing on the tire it always used to clear.

[​IMG]

My diagnosis; :jjen
    Somethings fucking bent.

But it's not digging too deep into the sidewall.

See, only the end's shiny.

[​IMG]

So I cleaned all the rubber shavings out,

[​IMG]

put it back together, and rode it a bunch more.

Checked the nut. As long as it doesn't show more shaved rubber in the end, I'm good! It's like a safety gauge!! :D

Needs adjustment eventually. I see a BFH in it's future. :lol3

DRONE, rg sw wa., Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  19. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CVAN, how about posting a pic or two of rig ?
  20. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Who's tub is that?