1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Do any of you transport your Tiger inside a van?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dinkydonuts, Sep 15, 2020.

1. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into these Sprinter and Transit vans that people are turning into campers and have some ideas for an upcoming build. I think the high roof variant of either van should work, but looking for concrete examples of bigger ADV bikes being stored inside.

It'll be something like this:
    [​IMG]
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume you are talking about a tiger 800. I ride a tiger explorer. I put it in a van once to transport it to the shop. Getting such a big bike in a van is a two person exercise and a single ramp is not a good idea. It also swallow all the interior space of a standard uhaul ford transit van. The 800 is a much smaller bike. However, still big enough to make it into a two person exercise. Maybe a long shallow two track ramp and plenty of room to maneuver inside is doable for a single person. A tall long bed sprinter have a lot of room. Enough for a camper and a big bike? Sounds like a tight squeeze. I would paint the profile of the van interior on the ground and see how much the bike will take.
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  3. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it were me, I'd look at a hitch mount carrier. They're easier to load and don't take up space in the van. You'd need to go heavy duty given the Tiger's weight. I use one rated at 600lb for my KLX, but don't know if I'd trust it with my Tiger. I've met people that haul large bikes on sprinters with hitch mounts and usually they have some reinforcement welded on (i.e. a second receiver tube) or you can go with a heavier RV style. The rv style get pricey, but some drop down for easier loading.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
  5. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800 wet weight without accessories is 474 pounds.
  6. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't trust hitch carriers for bigger than a dirtbike. It's more on the rated tongue weight than the carrier. 75lb carrier, 250lb bike, and you are at 325 for tongue weight basically. My truck with a class 4 hitch is rated for 500lb tongue weight. It's a full size f150. Plus even with stabilizing arms the carrier still moves a good bit.
    Boricua likes this.
  7. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree but some of the vans do have higher tongue weight ratings (750 or 800lbs). Also, keep in mind mfg specs usually assume a full vehicle (passengers and payload). So, if your F150 payload is 2000lbs, you could have 1500lbs of gear in the bed and 500lb on the tongue. If the bed is empty you can cheat that a bit. Finally tongue weight per spec is just a percentage of tow capacity. With a cantilevered load it's more a question of suspension and handling with the load there than what the drivetrain can pull.
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I have a medium roof Transit 350 15 passenger van that has been converted to a 5 passenger van. :D I still have the front seats, and the three smaller single seats on the right side, so the space is similar to the picture posted in the original post.
    Using a single ramp, I was able to load a 2016 R1200RT that I bought, into the van. I loaded and unloaded by myself, although having a spotter was helpful in case anything went pear shaped. :lol2
    dinkydonuts likes this.
  9. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean it can be done. I just don't recommend it.
  10. ratranger

ratranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My hitch itself is rated for 1000lb tongue weight, but vehichle specs are lower. It really varies even in the same model trucks. If I had the bigger v8, and 4wd the rating would be higher. So my thing is mainly check your vehicles capacity, because the carrier holding 600lbs doesn't mean anything if your vehicle is rated for 500lb. Part of that is insurance is looking for ways to not pay out.
    AloneInTheHills likes this.