Do early R1200GS now make sense for cheapskates!?!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by jfman, May 23, 2019.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Hello! It's me, the cheap guy, well you know the guy who doesn't have or want to throw a lot of money at a bike.

I have never owned a BMW (I did buy a KLR last summer does that count?) :1drink

Anyway, for fun, I have been looking at R1200gs (circa 2006) and they are getting reasonable finally.

Do you guyz think it's a good idea to buy one of these older r1200's while being in the mindset of not wanting to spend a lot on a bike AND on expensive maintenance?

Providing you are willing to do all of your own maintenance and repairs could it be a good pick?

Don't throw that KLR away just yet?

JF
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    An S is a fine motorcycle if that's the sort of platform you're looking for. It is a 'Sport' with sporty ergos.
    You want your questions asked, head on over to the Pelican.
    Those chaps have ever answer you'd ever want on R11S/R12S bikes.
    Maintenance wise, doing your own is easy, and it's the way you save that do-re-mi when buying any BMW...
  3. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I briefly owned a high mileage 2006 r1200GS (130,000 miles) from the Original owner. Apart from having the final drive rebuilt and installing ohlins shocks, he had zero issues with it. I rode it for around 3,000 miles and enjoyed every moment of it. The current owner is making his way across the US in the next few days on it. I wouldn't hesitate buying another as long as it's been taken care of.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  4. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the title the r1200gs is mentioned...

I’ve wonderend the same a few times, now the early 1200gs’s are affordable, to part with my ‘94 1100gs and get one of those...
  5. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's cool, drink the Kool Aid and jump right in. BTW, no, a KLR doesn't count. I picked up a 2005 GS last year for $4800, well farkled with Touratech and no issues with around 50,000 miles. It was well maintained and worth it. I've had problems with newer bikes with less miles. I had owned a BMW before and had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into. I do my own maintenance with JVB videos and the manual on my iPad. As long as it has good bones, like any used bike, it's not a problem. I went over 65k miles on my last one (1982 R65), and it was only sold to make room for strollers in the garage. I don't see any real problems with a maintained bike, I've seen newer ones with more miles and prefer what I have to that. I ride it and don't have to freak about mud, dirt, water or scratches, parts are easily available and fun to ride.
    My prior bike was a Triumph Tiger 800XC, and I ended up picking it over essentially the same bike due to mileage differences. The Triumph still stranded me despite being bought with 2512 miles on it. The BMW was an 05/06 with 32k. I could have saved myself some bad words.
    Do it!
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes...do it now! I had a 96 GS for about 4 years. It was a good machine and I put about 20K miles on it but never really felt that it was a motorcycle that I'd keep for the long term. I recently bought an 09 GSA and I absolutely love it. I could see owning this bike for 10 years. It's just so much more than the 1100 ever was.

By the way, I picked up my 09 GSA with 21K miles for $7100. Even came with aftermarket panniers and brand new tires.
    Motorius and gonzomup like this.
  7. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought this one 5 yrs ago, it was like meeting my soulmate or something!
    My 1100 is terrific, love to ride it..
    Owned an 1100 before but this ones gearbox could be made by Yamaha/Honda/whatever.. it is so smooth.. I have three mates who ride 1150, and after the 1150ADV the four of us concluded that mine was the smoothest ride...
    So still thoroughly in love with this bike but here I see 1100’s being sold for €2000-€3000 still and 2004 r1200gs’s starting at €5000.. so not that big of a jump..
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I own both r1100gs
    And an early 1200gs

So far I’m leaning towards the 1100 as being a better bargain bike in regards to cheaper to maintain and repair

The 1200 is a little zippier up top
    The 1100 is more nimble and easier to handle off road to me in this early stage of comparison
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Yes you should be fine. Linked servo abs brakes...but a cheapskate could either deal with it or remove it. I love my 2006 and the brakes. A mate in California has a $3000 2005 for sale
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    oups.. Typo GS
  11. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    As said before, finding a nice private party GS that's been taken care of, best is it has maintenance records, is very doable.
    I found my 2010 GS, private party, 7500 miles loaded with bags etc for under $8K 3 years ago.
    No way to loose...
  12. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two years ago I bought a clean, well farkled 2005 1200gs with about 24,000 miles. I've learned how to do all my own maintenance, haven't learned how to do any repairs because in two years and about 14,000 miles it hasn't needed any. Last summer I test rode a new GS and I just wasn't comfortable with all the electronics, complexity, and increased weight of the new bike. I love my 2005 and at 68 tears old I'm planning on it being my last bike (I expect to ride to the bitter end). Next week I'm heading solo to Alaska and I have total confidence in the bike. Find a reasonably low mileage, well maintained, well farkled bike and you won't regret it.
  13. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    If I couldn't find a 98 or 99 GS, I'd be looking for an 08 or later. The first few iterations of the 1200 had servo brakes and a host of other teething issues.
    Iron Rey likes this.
  14. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to mention a heavier transmission output shaft and a bottom drain on the Final drive.
  15. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the only time an expensive, complicated, technology leading product makes sense to a cheapskate is when they have the tools, knowledge, confidence and motivation to fix it themselves. Otherwise the increased depreciation is simply offset by the repair bills people without those characteristics didn't want to pay.

To put it another way, excess BMW depreciation is comprised nearly entirely out of a mixture of repair bills and desire for new technology, mostly the repair bills though.
    jfman likes this.
  16. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2010-2012 camheads are very refined. My old 2007 GSA with 60 some thousand miles is worth so little I don't see upgrading. The touratech shocks are probably worth close to as much as the entire bike.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I am preffering the hex head to the camhead. The left side death rattle on the cam heads scares me.
  18. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I second this, I am sure that you can find some nice early R12GS's, but the 2008 was a step change year, I believe you could find nice options for under $5K, and like others have said, getting JVB's maintenance program will set you up right.

The other good step change is the 2010 twin cam, very nice engine and the rider aids got better, personally, I would spend more on the core bike and don't worry about the farkles, remember, they were ideal for someone else, not necessarily you.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I believe all they did in 2008 was do away with servo and put a drain plug in the rear drive. Yes the bodywork is different...bigger. We own both a 2006 and a 2008. Neither have ever been in the mechanics shop I take care of them myself. It seems to me the core bike is much the same for pre camhead 1200’s.
  20. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 R1200 GSA with 50k on her, 40k was mine. The Cam Head has been bullet proof but I did have to replace the FD at 30k. The FD problem is like lightning...you don’t know when or if it will strike. I replaced it with a new BMW OEM FD. I am 6’3” and 215 lbs. fits like a glove. I am looking to downsize but still will be doing 10k-15k a year, roads and dirt. Every time I plan to put her up for sale I go out to the garage and instead of cleaning it for sale I end up going for a ride and change my mind. Get one and you will love it.