Do forum posters know better than the manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Twin-shocker, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been reading a forum thread which suggests deleting the caster angle between the steering axis and fork stanchion axis, by fitting cheaply made P65 type slab fork yokes (far less clamping pressure than the stock cast yokes), is the best possible way to steepen the steering angle on a twin-shock 240 Fantic.

Does this poster perhaps know something that is unknown to trials bike manufacturers, who even today are fitting bikes with 1.5 degree caster effect fork yokes? Maybe he should offer to help the manufacturers sort out the errors of their ways?.........................
  2. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked the response "If anything needs a head mod its you" …
    I personally think some things on trials central should stay on trials central - not sure I see the point in taking a crack at somebody in one forum on another forum that he most likely doesn't read? - kind of like talking about somebody behind their back isn't it?
  3. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    1.) People can have different handling preferences and the OEM's just make what "they" think is best. Doesn't mean an individual can't perform better on a given bike with some tweaks.

2.) I'd bet that given fork specs have more to do with what exists and is economical than what is optimized for handling.
    North ride likes this.
  4. North ride

North ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter the vast majority of us don't make a living riding our bikes we just do it for fun. Plus Fantic won't care about a 40 year old motorbike they apear too have moved on from trials. LOL
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm..... Gotta agree with @MT 007

Sooo why don't you log on to Trials Central and let them know your opinion there, T-S??

Tell Andy we say hello! :wave
    Fallacy and jonnyc21 like this.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I never go to Trials Central.

I only waste time here!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thing is it would seem the majority of forum posts related to technical matters appear to be far from accurate? For instance I learnt for the first time from posts on here that a change of needle is the way to tune the transition from pilot jet to slide cutaway! I get the feeling that many people actually think something is certainly accurate, simply due to seeing whatever is being claimed in writing on a forum? Maybe not something which is tremendously helpful, given the fact that taking wrong advice may well result in unneeded expense and an awful lot of wasted time?
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That's true, but often the individual will insist the factory got it badly wrong, and their change is the only valid configuration and everyone needs to do the same. We're all guilty of that to a point. I've been stung by such advice in the past so I try to explain the upsides, the downsides, and why I think the upsides outweigh the downsides.
    jonnyc21 and VxZeroKnots like this.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colin thats spot on, but a lot of the changes made are more related to buyers being taken in by advertising blurb or spiel from those who have already fitted a certain part or carried out a specific modification. There are a lot of products on the market which dont work that great, some of them pretty costly ones. But never ever seen a bad review of anything along those lines strangely enough....................lol
    bikemoto likes this.
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not taking a crack at anyone, just pointing out how common it is that myths spring up. often as a result of badly informed posts on forums. I guess those making parts which are poor quality and dont work that great are in some cases behind these myths becoming fact? The only ones to suffer from this are end users who have bought poor quality parts, which dont actually do very much to improve performance at all?
  11. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    So is that a no on telling Andy hello? :ear
    Huzband likes this.
  12. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People have been selling snake oil since the beginning of time (well beginning of commerce anyway) it is always a case of buyer be ware and often you get what you pay for and given advice on forums is typically given away for free nobody should be expecting it to be 100% accurate. The nice thing in a forum if somebody does post some thing questionable often times others will chime in and question it. In this particular case it appears a post was made on trials central that may be inaccurate (I am no expert in head stocks) but this possible inaccuracy was pointed out here (where the person looking for the advise probably wouldn't be looking) :dunno… I get it that it is just to make a point but I would rather get a varied number of inputs on a forum than to go to "an expert" site and get just 1 opinion - seen lots of magazine articles written "by experts" that seem to be heavily influenced by commerce.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    The answer to your title is, sometimes, yes, in error, and sometimes yes, not in error.

The creation of this thread follows a current Twin-shocker obsession: bad advice from forums and the 'net, with a new twist of straw man idiots thinking they are smarter than manufacturers. What else is new? Oh and we must defer to expert(s).

Psychologically fascinating!
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.