Do I Have a Rare Honda Z50.......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Jan 13, 2020.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or just bad information?
    Just picked up a "barn find"--according to the VIN number--1968 Honda Z50 mini trail.
    An online source stated these little bikes didn't get lights until the '69-'70 year model but mine has them.
    Is this a rarity or no?
    Not in the pics but I have the tail light assembly as well as the original license plate with the 1969 registration sticker.

Thanks for any insight.
    DSC01018.JPG DSC01020.JPG
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, that’s a beauty. A had a brand-new banana yellow ‘69 as my first bike. I have never seen a Z without lights.
    brucifer likes this.
  3. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend I grew up with had one exactly like this one, same color. Circa 1970-1972. We used to ride double on that thing. Of course we were a lot smaller then. :lol3 I was 6 or 7 and he was probably 9 or 10.
  4. rwf

rwf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s the way mine looked.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    double check year on vin.. sho
    uld be coded there
  6. McCaw

McCaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks to be a 1969 model year (K1), may have been produced in late 68. The 1968 "slant guard" bikes are rarer and don't have lights. Yours is missing the exhaust guard but is not a slant guard (slants downward, yours is parallel). Overall though a very complete looking bike less the rear taillight. Not sure how the market for the hardtails has been lately but I'd say it's probably worth somewhere in the $900-1200 range give or take.
  7. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. I do have the tail light.
    DSC01028.JPG
  8. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have it for sale and it may be going to Canada. Waiting for confirmation.
    Bitingdog and RideFreak like this.
  9. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    20190517_120442.jpg
    I've rode my 69 z50,my kids have and there kids have ,still my pit bike to this day,blue and silver like yours, used and abused for 3 generations,,,
  10. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! Great picture. Is that you and your son?
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  11. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Thank you,
    That is my son and grandson, the poor mini has Ben beat and bent,
    The story's I could tell you about people riding it,
    A quick one is,my roofing guy,300 lbs,HD rider got on it one night,rode around parking lot,cam blasting into garage,rode up my old bear alignment rack,went to put feet down,but rack was to skinny for feet to hit,
    So on end of rack,there is a u shaped stop,
    He gases it ,and I'm thinking,what's he going to do now?
    Picked front wheel up,rear wheel hits it,he Flys off z50, now realize I have a big work bench 4 feet from end of rack,,
    Guy hits head on vice on bench,hits floor,,
    Z50 flips and pile drives him to the floor,
    Thought he was dead,,
    He got up,I said what the H were u thinking ?
    Roofer says ,I realise I'd fall over cuz feet did not touch ramps on rack,So I was going to jump over to work bench,,,
    OH boy,how did that work out??
    Roofer says not very good,than he went and got beer and whiskey to heal back up,,
    Lol
    Bitingdog, Mowhair and brucifer like this.
  12. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! That had to have been hysterical watching that all unfold.

You just reminded me of a couple instances my friends had.

About 25 years ago my buddy was futzing around in his front yard popping little wheelies on his '89 YZ250 and as he was heading back towards his house, he popped one more, the bike leaned out and started to take off on him, he slid off the back, ran a few steps and was able to get back on (with a totally panicked look on his face), it came back down just in time for the front wheel to slam into his 6 or 8 foot fence. The plank that he hit with the wheel on the bottom pivoted the top of the plank his way and slapped him on the head, breaking the plank. lol. It was like watching a cartoon. I laughed so hard I was crying.

Another time, a buddy pulled into my garage with his '88 Ninja 600 with his sister on the back. I still don't know how she did it to this day but just as he got stopped she flew off the back in a reverse somersault and landed like a bag full of laundry on the garage floor. It was so weird! It was like someone threw her off the bike. Again, it looked cartoonish. And again, I laughed my tail off. lol.
    Bitingdog and NEPA 450x like this.
  13. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Boy,could we tell some storys,most of mine are cuz I rode/raced/wrenched all my life.
    Guys I thought were good riders always wanted to out do me,
    As I watched them prove to me how good they could crash,role and wine making excuses, , lol and say to them,to win,you have to Finish, ,
    As I suggested to them,that u better clean an scrub your rode rash in 5 minutes while it's still numb,,,otherwise it's going to hurt like he'll if you dont,lol
    Bitingdog and brucifer like this.
  14. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a Mexico Yellow over White, oval badge Mini Trail 50. Wish I still had it, traded for a blue SL70, which was an awesome bike as well. Good times!
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's on its way to the Olympia, Washington area.
    A nice couple who are way into these bikes and have 6 or 7 they've done up over the years, bought it. This will be the oldest one in their fleet and will be a keeper.

DSC01042.JPG
    Rick, Christine and Buttercup, with their new addition loaded up and ready to head out.
    Rick and I happen to be exactly the same age.

Oh, and incedently, the reason for the title of this thread was a discrepancy in one digit of the VIN number. What I thought was a 1 was actually a 4. Wasn't visible to the naked eye. It was revealed once the pic I took of it was blown up. It now agrees with the engine number as well--without question a 1969 model.

I have asked them to stay in touch so as to view the transformation back to how it looked in 1969--all fresh and new. :-)
  16. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    What we did before cell phones / computers,
    66 CM91,,,
    20160615_223551.jpg
    Bitingdog and brucifer like this.
  17. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did that here too! We rarely get snow but I remember we got a pretty decent covering in 1972 . My uncle had an American Eagle with a Kawasaki 238 Green Streak engine. He tied a length of rope on the back to a truck inner tube and gave me and all the neighborhood kids rides in the field next to my house.

Also about the same time frame, the friend who I mentioned earlier with the Z50, well we tied a rope onto the back and attached it to a junky home built wooden go-cart with the rope steering--do you remember those? Anyway, it was summertime and he was towing me around the same field and one of our local TV channels stopped by and filmed us. They were doing a segment on what, I guess, kids were doing on their summer vacation.
    It was pretty exciting as a 7 year old seeing myself on TV. It was filmed in black and white even. :-)
    Bitingdog, NEPA 450x and Bultaco206 like this.
  18. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    Funny I just see now that you have a 80 750F,,
    I have a set of almost new factory set of pipes/mufflers off mine if you no anyone that needs them.
    brucifer likes this.
  19. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. PM sent.