Do I need an insurance for my motorbike in Asia ?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by gringito, Jul 8, 2015.

1. gringito

gringito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I'm travelling with a postie bike ( honda ct110) from Australia to Belgium, I'm gonna soon start the Asian part of the trip. The bike is registered in Australia ( I'll keep it ) but the Australian insurance stop outside the country. Do I need to subscribe to an insurance in Timor Leste, indonedia, Malaysia, Thailand ?

Thanks !!

Nick.
  2. rocketz

rocketz SBK The real biker shop

Oddometer:
    Indonesia,thailand,Malaysia,singapore,timor leste.....you wont need it,but travel insurance may be usefull
  3. rocketz

rocketz SBK The real biker shop

Oddometer:
    i got some guys visiting me from brisbade and darwin,browse my post.indonesia ....java checkpoint
  4. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nick,
    in Indonesia there's no requirement to insure your vehicle...so it's really up to you. But there are many small bike theft here...so if you ride small bike then you need to be careful about leaving your bike unattended.

If you ride a big bike on the other hand, you don't have to worry as much (or too much) about your bike get stolen. Big bike has small market here and also small but relatively close knit community... stealing it may be easy but selling a stolen big bike is not easy. Several years ago, maybe ten years ago, a friend of mine had his bike stolen, a HD. Words spread quickly among big bike owners. About two months later the thief was caught when he tried to sell the bike, cause people (big bike owners) know the bike was stolen and most people know each other here.
  5. offroadlanna

offroadlanna n00b

Oddometer:
    3rd Party insurance (locally called Po-Ro-Bo) in Thailand is compulsory and it costs very little. While you probably can get away with it, I would recommended to have it as accidents with bikes are very common here in this part of the world and their seems to be a tendency to find the foreigner guilty even though the accident was caused by one of the locals
  6. Simon Visser

Simon Visser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    Can I wade in on actual insurance needed for a 640 to cover the bike as I go through all of SE Asia?
    Im having a hard time finding info?
  7. LooongRoadHome

LooongRoadHome on a Looong Road Home -AUS/Melb-INDia..go 250!!

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate,
    just crossed Timor leste, Indonesia, singapore and now i'm in Malaysia.
    Timor Leste - No need of Insurance
    Indonesia - No need of Insurance
    Singapore - YES. you need third party insurance from SINGAPORE BASED company. Automobile Association of Singapore can organise. Minimum 30 days. You have to be in Singapore physically to buy one of there. allow 1-2 days. Its not CHEAP!!
    Malaysia - YES, you do need third party. you have to be there physically as well. I bought it at Johar Bahru (South Border Town) cost me Ringgit 112.
    Thailand - YES. don't know the details yet. You could buy at the border.
    Simon Visser likes this.