Do I want an old Goldwing?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ivantheterrible, Jun 1, 2016.

1. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    tire joe likes this.
  2. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maintenance for a 34 year old bike hit hard this year. The first ride of the season this year revealed an oil leak. Oil was leaking around the water pump seal. After getting that taken care of I decided to replace the rear tire before attempting a IBA ride. When reinstalling the tire I found roller bearings in the drive shaft housing. It took awhile but discovered it was the swing arm bearings. Below are a series of videos about this summer's repairs.

-Mark
  3. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thrilled to finally sell the 77 I had. Bike brought out the absolute WEIRDEST people when I was trying to sell it. OP-if you haven't bought a Goldwing, good for you.
  4. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe they are all normal and your the weird one, :hmmmmm
  5. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very possible. But, when multiple people said "Yeah, I'm not a buyer as i already have one." then proceeded to ask me everything about it to the point I had to physically just walk away as they were talking. Then, I had some clown on eBay, eBay, not Craigslist, ask me a BAZILLION questions only to have his last question be "Are you interested in trading for any hunting gear?" As I ran back and forth from my house to where the bike was to obtain the answer to said questions. That's when I really wished the rating structure on eBay allowed me to rate a user even without a sale
    spokester and Trailrider200 like this.
  6. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just kidding with u. I know what u are talking about. they are looking for that rare one hoping to get a deal, that you don't know about. I've had craigslist clowns finalize price with me and then show up and try to talk the price down even more. one time it was over $5. told him to walk, he gave me my price.
    spokester likes this.
  7. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I almost bought one this summer, an '86 if I remember right, but got scared off by failed stator stories. I picked up a Road King a few weeks after passing on the 'wing and it's scratching the absurdly large road goin' motorcycle itch for now.
    spokester and Nobade like this.
  8. Ham

Ham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's 27,000$ in today's money. Pretty even value with today's rig and look at the advanced tech.
  9. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Just got an 85 interstate. Can anyone tell me what the pointy chrome handlebar thing is? Some sort of mirror mount or helmet lock? Does RAM have some new micro mount arm?

81491667_10162873694375207_7228956882935742464_o.jpg

P1020037.JPG
    Trailrider200, LeMaitre and 9Realms like this.
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Looks like a RAM ball size ball on the end there? ~ but metal instead of the more standard plastic.
    On a 'Wing, I picture at least one of them having been used for one of those swivel-ling rotating big drink holders.
    The other might have sported a cell phone bracket, Go Pro camera, etc.

Does the ball seem smaller than a Ram ball on the end?

Here are like eight million Ram-mounted devises that may have hung there: :-)

https://www.google.com/search?q=goldwing+cup+holder+chrome+ram+ball+mount&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjukK7Ag-fmAhUFeK0KHfwFACsQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=goldwing+cup+holder+chrome+ram+ball+mount&gs_l=img.3...13789.19704..19966...2.0..0.126.1679.23j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i24.eC710aqVB0o&ei=RP0OXu7eEoXwtQX8i4DYAg
  11. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    It's much smaller than a RAM ball. Those are usually 1", this must be half that or less.

12. Overdog

Overdog 'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer:
    in a little cafe just the other side of the border
    It's just a helmet hanger
  13. fuller1956

fuller1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cary, NC (winter), Harpursville,NY(summer)
    Yes, a helmet hanger. The idea is that then you lock a small padlock below the ball and above the d-rings of your helmet and your helmet is "secure".
    drbuzzard likes this.
  14. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Ah, ok. It also has two of the more conventional type under the trunk. Probably will replace the handlebar ones with ram balls for phone/gps mounts
  15. fuller1956

fuller1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cary, NC (winter), Harpursville,NY(summer)
    Hey Lapchik, You remembered to check your stator connector for looking brownish, melted and otherwise not well didn't you? that is what causes the stators to kill themselves. First thing I did was cut out the plug in connector and soldered the stator wires to reduce the corrosion causing high resistance that causes stator death.
    John
    zilla likes this.
  16. Lapchik

Oddometer:
    Planned on that in the spring. I don't like messing with old plastic when it's 15°F
    LeMaitre and drbuzzard like this.
  17. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely right. Nothing wrong with GL1200 stators, it's the 3 pin connector for the yellow wires out of the alternator every time. Do what the bloke says, cut the connector out and hard solder it.
    Trailrider200, MrBob and Overdog like this.
  18. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight Apex Conversioneer

Oddometer:
    There's nothing wrong with the stator connector ...aside from neglect in maintenance. Soldering them is unnecessary...
  19. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're probably right but there is no mention of checking and greasing this connector it in the GL1200 service manual. Of the 60 or so GL1200s I have owned, about 50 % have had the wires soldered, 25% have had a burnt out stator and the rest have had the stock connector, usually in a poor state of repair.

So on the majority of these, it has been overlooked, and like I said, it does not specify maintenance of this connector in the service interval guide.

It's the first thing to check when you buy a GL1200.
    Trailrider200 and MrBob like this.
  20. CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight Apex Conversioneer

Oddometer:
    I agree, there is no service interval for the plug, but...

I attribute much of these GL horrors in neglect of maintenance to the Honda Motorcycle salesmen of the original purchasers. 100% of these fellas sold Goldwings as a Car Salesman would sell a car. GL Buyers are considered the Fat Cats of the Honda bike market and never was there any effort in allowing them to service their own bike from new. They were all directed to the in-house Service Departments nationwide for scheduled maintenence. If a service manual was ever sold with a new bike it certainly was not a suggested move by any Dealer.

All of that horseshit aside, if the battery were checked monthly as prescribed in the service schedule for that item, the owner would notice the improper voltage (unless noticed sooner) and follow a flow chart within the minds eye as to why the battery fluid is not being maintained at a specific gravity.
    Interestingly by accident, you do bring up an interesting point in the promotion of Honda Motorcycle service departments by way of the service manuals lack of clarity for the bike owner in matters of charging system failure. The manual is designed very well, ...and very much throws benefit back to the franchised dealer network in some areas. The charging system is one of those very particular areas.
    Honda has other manuals. They have an entire Technical Series of manuals that was available and nearly Never stocked or pushed. You had to know of their existence to order them. One such manual was the "Honda Motorcycle Electrical Systems" manual that covered all of their bikes and was updated annually until approximately 1992. In this manual the three phase charging systems were covered in-depth and the GL system was covered in particular.
    The stator connector (and any other electrical connector) was to be cleaned with either a sodium bicarbonate solution or a mild bar soap (Irish Spring for example), both using plastic brushes. Only the two battery connections had a wire brush and use of a petroleum jelly for anti-corrosion. Honda mandates that petroleum jelly will deteriorate its plastics if the two maintain contact.

I maintain the factory connection for my own reasoning though. I'm particular to the 1000's and the 1100's, whereby I drive a separate generator off of the stator housing area and can plug into the factory plug if needed.

I've really no problem with any previous owner and their horrible maintenance habits that were designed and prescribed by Honda, as it makes the older 4-cylinder bikes incredibly inexpensive for me today.
    CatCow and Trailrider200 like this.