Do I want an old Goldwing?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ivantheterrible, Jun 1, 2016.

1. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a part number for that electrical systems manual? thanks emti
  2. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '79, immediately went with a Solex 34 carb, recently switched to a Solex 30.
    32K miles on the odo, put 4000 miles on it in a year.

[​IMG]
  3. fuller1956

fuller1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cary, NC (winter), Harpursville,NY(summer)
    That is just a nice, pretty and comfortable looking bike. It looks like 1 to just get on and go ride for a few hours or strap a bag on the seat and ride for a few days. Well built Sir.
    John
  4. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

What did you do for a manifold?

Edit/. No worries, I saw- eBay.
  5. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road King stators fail too. They require removal of the primary drive, and in some cases even the inner primary case. You will do it again and again if you ride lots of miles. Granted you do not have to split the bike, but it is still a pain. I have seen external alternator conversions for them, they are pretty ugly.

Rod
    ivantheterrible likes this.
  6. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you sir! Took it for a weekend trip last spring, textile saddlebags installed. Charleston-Cherokee NC- Blowing Rock- Charleston. 34 carb did not like the altitude change, hoping the 30 will be more forgiving.
  7. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most GW stator failures start with failed wiring connectors. Remove and solder before they fail and cook the stator.
  8. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    should avoid single carb conversions. an Individual runner system once correctly tuned is best for power and mpg.

https://www.randakksblog.com/single-carb-conversions/#more-874

If you are debating the merit of a single carb conversion for yourself, consider this. The theoretical simplicity advantage of a single carb is offset by:

• Conversion expense
    • Reduction in top end, peak performance
    • Reduction in bike’s collector value
    • Auto-type carbs (i.e., Holley) aren’t normally expected to perform over the wide rpm range required of performance motorcycle engines
    • Due to the “packaging” and space issues involved in designing these manifolds, these setups are plagued by inconsistent performance across the 4 cylinders. A very common complaint is that cylinder #X is chronically rich (or lean)
    • Due to the long intake tracks, these rigs are prone to carb icing in cold damp weather (less than 45 degrees F). In some climates, this may be a serious matter.
    • Large mass of air fuel mixture in the runners on single carb conversions is sluggish to move creating poor throttle response
    • Long intake runners require richer jetting that otherwise needed which reduces fuel mileage
    • Inconsistent, irregular idle is a common issue
    • Early ‘Wing cams produce minimal vacuum at idle…not the robust vacuum expected by automobile-type carbs. This compounds the idle issue.
    • Some single carb conversions have actually suggested and required frame “surgery” to achieve necessary clearances. The need to hack away part of the frame is an obvious “show stopper.”
    spokester likes this.
  9. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even added thermostatically controlled manifold heaters when it became evident that the manifold was being chilled by the fuel/air mixture. 2 pair on grip heaters and a 12v thermostat w 20 amp relay built in.

Also insulated part of the manifold, including the coolant cross over tube to take advantage of the free heat.
  10. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my conversion. Still dialing in the Solex 30, gotta lean out the mixture. Could do just fine as it sits, but looking for better fuel mileage .

Who knew that the best selection of Solex jets are in Italy?
  11. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    While Randakk is spot on, he doesn't account for the actual condition of a given set of carbs, the availability and cost of quality used carbs, and the cost of rebuilding and tuning them.

My bike kinda rsn when I bought it, and when I pulled the carbs, it was evident I would be doing something different.
  12. Lapchik

Lapchik Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer:
    Repair list for my '85 1200 with 49k miles...
    -fork seals
    -brake pads
    -rear brake piston sticking
    -radio/speaker/antenna wiring
    -small coolant leak left side front
    -rear end fluid leak/change
    -throttle sticky (tube/grip)
    -air filter
    -spark plugs
    -drain old gas
    -oil and filter
    -check stator wiring

It just snowed again, so I should have plenty of time before riding season.
  13. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of good forums for GW specific advise out there.
  14. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the first on your list should be replace belts!
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  15. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    When I got my '78 GL1000, it ran, but needed carb work. I decided to go the single carb route, trying 3 different Solex carbs, 34pict3, 30pict3, and 30pict2. I couldn't get any of them to run right, or more accurately, idle low enough. I also went with the Weber 32/32 from Stovebolt Tom, and still couldn't get it to idle under 2k without stalling.

I spent a lot of money, and time not riding it (2000 miles in 10 years), trying to get the single carbs working. Finally, I sent my old 4 carb rack to Pistol Pete's for a rebuild. His son Mark is now doing them after Pete retired. I had them back in a week, and I can finally ride the OldWing again.

The single carb stuff is all still put away, and I may fool around with it again someday, but I'd rather ride than wrench right now.

I'm glad you like your setup. Best wishes with it! :beer
    RedRocket likes this.
  16. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a rock solid idle when warm, the slightest touch more than 1Krpm.
    I do have a fresh motor, compression tests at 180psi all around, and it was a Snap On pressure tester.

Right now working on getting the jetting just right. I'd take it anywhere right now, but would like better fuel mileage!
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  17. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    That sounds great. Exactly what I was trying to achieve, but didn't work out. Maybe someday, that's why I kept all the parts to try again later.
  18. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I have my final jetting config {sea level}, I'll post it.
    Some of the illustrations of the Solex online helped a lot with figuring out what is going on in there. It is a complicated carb, and I am just smart enough and just lucky enough to do well with it.

Not being scared to buy jets has been handy! They arent too hard to to change either.

What manifold did you use? I picked this one, I felt visually it "flowed" better, maybe even actually?

[​IMG]
  19. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:

something that can be looked into are Turtle Inserts similar in design to these.
    https://brodix.com/parts/turtles-and-super-turtles-manifold-inserts
  20. Dirt Road Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Originally, I bought the old "H" style back in 2012 or 13. Then, I tried making one from the VW Type 4 plenum, then I tried making my own with PVC pipes. They all worked about the same, poor idle, but otherwise they ran pretty good.

My "new" bike already has a single carb... I bought a '97 Sportster 1200c at the beginning of this year. :D