Do loud horns increase road rage?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by FormerUser241220, Nov 23, 2020.

?

Do loud horns increase road rage?

1. The louder the better.

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Loudest is not loud enough.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Meep, meep is good enough for me.

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Ding, ding is great when around pedestrians.

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    What someone who is not me needs to design and manufacture a two-stage horn.

Hold the button for less than a half-second, and you get a demure little meep meep for when the texting asshat in front of you doesn't see the light turn green.

Hold it down longer to get the cruise ship horn for when the guy with the bad neck in the Escalade is about to back into you in a parking lot.

--------

True story: I lent my VStrom to my buddy Gabe. I'd had the VStrom for over a year, maybe two. Gabe calls within an hour of picking it up, in a panic, to tell me that the horn doesn't work. Gabe spent 7 years driving a cab in San Francisco. Me, I didn't even notice.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 80’s K100RS had twin ducted fiamms and a difficult to use button if you were negotiating a traffic situation you were better off just riding around the issue than blasting away at it. A toot for attention is all it would take at lights or saying I give you way.
  3. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you blip the horn in tunnels or at traffic lights tho?
    Roadracer_Al and Richarde1605 like this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes apparently
  5. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    let me play.jpg
    AZbiker likes this.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Chevy Volt had two horns, with two different switches. The regular horn was in the middle of the steering wheel. A pedestrian tootler was on the end of the turn signal stalk. A truly wonderful setup.

Someone here posted about some fascinating electronic horns he’d found on eBay. They could be configured many different ways, including as you describe. VThey were pretty durn cool in the videos he showed.
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  7. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want a horn that sounds like an ear-splitting screech of brakes, with an option to follow this with a loud crumpling sound. That would get peoples' attention!
    CaptCapsize and Roadracer_Al like this.
  8. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:
    No, you don't push the horn button and wait for the other driver. You push the horn button while continuing to monitor the hazard, and continuing to take appropriate action. The horn is just an aid, it's not the solution to the problem.
    JETalmage likes this.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    That's about all I use the horn for these days. I used to have an air horn on my R1100GS but realized that I was hardly ever using it and when I was, it was as a reprimand. This meant it was: (a) most likely not helping as the driver probably did not know what they had done; (b) likely to incite road rage; and (c) increasingly unnecessary as I was able to refine my riding to the point where I could avoid almost all situations BEFORE they became serious enough for me to feel the need to tell someone off.

These days, a quick toot to wake up the driver who has their nose in their phone when the lights change, is the extent of my horn usage. While a louder horn is better for that, it's so unimportant that, on most bikes, I can't be bothered to figure out where and how to mount one.
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Consider the common denominator. If the above is true, YOU are the common denominator in having this need on every ride

There are much better ways of ensuring people know you're there or simply staying out of their way so they can back out of their driveway (or whatever) without endangering you. There are many other people who live in highly congested areas yet who don't need to use their horns all the time.

How do you know this? I've seen anger as the most common response (in USA at least) so you must see it "multiple times on virtually every ride".

...whereas getting tooted at from behind is never startling [/sarcasm]
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I don't see any reason to outright dismiss the horn as some do. Layering ones safety tools the same way one layers riding gear for the weather.
    AZbiker, JETalmage and swrpres like this.
  12. Vark

Vark Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Says the guy who honks at people who don’t react quickly enough to a green light.
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I should point out that I'm not hitting the horn a few milliseconds after the light changes. If someone is till sat there, focused on something else, five seconds after the light changes, I'm honestly not sure how else to get their attention. It happens maybe once every couple of months, that I am the one right behind "that" person.
    AZbiker likes this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being on the road 8 to 10 hours a day I see it all the time. Not unusual to see someone sit through the entire green cycle if someone doesn't honk at them.
  15. Andy Cote

Andy Cote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see both camps in this discussion. For the last several years and five bikes, I have upgraded to air horns. I am selective in its use. I know that it could oxygenate an otherwise smoldering road rage type reaction. I do not use in lieu of other good defensive driving habits. It’s another tool in my belt. Still waiting for that holographic projector so I can present the image of an Abrahams Tank.

There is a system that does a common beep/beep but hold the button down for more than 0.15 seconds and it goes full on air horn and flashes the high beam. Here is their site:
    Screaming Banshee Horns - Loud Motorcycle Horns and Safety Systems (screaming-banshee.com)

I have a story to share. When I was commuting to work early in the morning, there was an intersection where no one ever stops at the sign. It’s an angle intersection, coming from my left and at that time of day, with little traffic the lazy zombies would only sorta glance back. I could see that side road through a church parking lot and knew well before the intersection if someone was over there. BTW, about the only reason cars came down that road at that time of day was because they cut out the backside of the McDonalds drive-thru to bypass the traffic light. Well one morning I saw an Explorer coming so I backed off and covered the brakes. When he got there, he never even touched the brakes. Rolled the stop sign at close to 30. While I was not really in any danger, I “yelled” at him with the horn. He jerked into the ditch to get out of the way. Musta thought there was a cement mixer bearing down on him. I got at warm feeling thinking he got a warmer feeling when his coffee landed in his lap.
    AZbiker, JETalmage, Vark and 2 others like this.
  16. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I had a similar situation....with a far different outcome.
    1970. I had just installed air horns on my new CB 350 Honda so I headed out to try
    them. In Maplewood NJ, there was an angled intersection like you described, but on
    my right, and no one ever stopped at the stop sign there either.
    As I neared the intersection, through the trees I could see a car coming on my
    right. It was obvious that he had no intention of stopping so I laid hard
    on the air horns. He locked up his brakes and screeched to a stop!.....and
    the guy behind him plowed him in the ass because HE wasn't going to stop
    there either!!!
    I laughed all the way home. The air horns worked great!
    AZbiker, JETalmage and Andy Cote like this.
  17. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They've saved mine a few times.

A horn that can't be heard (like those on most bikes nowadays) is useless. I've found it necessary to put a louder horn on most street-legal bikes I've owned.

Where and how I ride, I don't have to use the horn often. Parallel to the common-sense of carrying a defensive sidearm, one should hope to never have to use it, and yes, do everything one can to avoid having to. But whenever I have needed a horn, the only reason it worked was that it could be heard and I was mighty glad for it.

I'd feel less need to carry a sidearm if the same political Looters (read Atlas Shrugged) who want to steal it from me did not in the same very loud rhetoric call for de-funding Law Enforcement and try to 'justify' the physical looters in the streets with their intentional inflammation of discord.

By parallel, we'd all have much fewer occasions to use a horn if Law Enforcement would actually enforce the laws of stopping at a stop sign and not using a cell phone while mindlessly wielding a 2000 lb weapon. Paying one or two of those tickets would be an effectively loud and memorable message to those who need to hear and remember it, without actually contributing to noise pollution.

Those who argue 'if you need a horn, you're doing something wrong' are akin to the same self-deluded 'internet super riders' who actually argue in another thread that a motorcyclist who was rear-ended while stopped at a light was somehow to blame for failing to see it coming and using his time-warping reflexes to avoid it.

JET
    RedShark, severely and Andy Cote like this.
  18. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Lose the politics or risk losing the whole thread to the basement
    AZbiker and shu like this.
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my horn with FAIMM car horn. The stock horn could barely be heard over the engine. I seem only to occasionally toot it, to wake the driver at a light to put his/her cell phone down. When it come to emergency situations where evasive action is required, I never think of the horn as the first tool. The location of the horn button on my bikes is just different enough, I usually end up hitting the turn signal cancel instead.
    RedShark and PlainClothesHippy like this.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ural uses a standard Domino switch set that has also been used by Ducati, Moto Guzzi, KTM, Triumph and others for years, All the buttons are comfortably and logically placed to be easily covered after a couple of rides to become familiar with them. I don't understand why some manufacturers can't, or wont do that. Do engineers have 8" long, double jointed fingers?
    Vark likes this.