DO NOT use haulbikes.com for shipping!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AndyCBR, Oct 22, 2010.

1. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a public service message. I am not a vendor basher but hoping to save some poor bastard the same agony I'm going through...

Short version:
    1) Needed to ship my XR650L back from my TAT trip. Medford, OR to Baton Rouge, LA
    2) Haulbikes.com quoted $588 with a 28 day maximum.
    3) Signed honerous contract and paid up front by credit card as required, scheduled dates.
    4) 41 days after bike was ready for pickup I meet driver for delivery. Made several calls asking where bike was and why the 28 day max was exceeded. Promised a credit of some kind on delivery.
    5) Walk outside and driver is attempting to BACK 100' transport 18 wheeler down my driveway (I have no idea why my house is a stones throw from the street in a small subdivision).
    6) See driver heading toward my mailbox, I run and yell in an attempt to stop him.
    7) Mailbox destroyed (one of those $300 fancy shmancy ones required by the restrictions). I ask driver what the hell he was doing and tell him to get the truck back on the street where it belongs.
    8) Driver moves truck and tells me to send him a bill for the mailbox and I can pick my bike up in Milwaukee, WI and gets back in his truck.
    9) I take cell pics of the truck and mailbox damage and proceed to call the home office.
    10) Driver gets out tries to get up in my face and I tell him to get the F off my property.
    11) I left and home office is trying to figure out what to do to get my bike back and can't commit to a delivery date.

In short, I should have known any company that requires 100% payment up front would not have any reason to perform.

BUYER BEWARE these guys are ass clowns!
  2. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    8a. Police was called to the scene.

Thanks for the report. I will need to find someone to ship mine home next year from Oregon.
  3. healeyblue

healeyblue Old and Cunning

Oddometer:
    I had a totally different experience with Haulbikes.com.

Needed to have a BMW K1200LT picked up at an apartment complex in the Atlanta area and shipped to Denver. Big issue was that I would not be there when driver picked up the bike. Left key with apartment office. When driver arrived he could not get truck into the complex to get to garage so he picked key up from apartment mgr., rode bike to the truck, loaded it and delivered to me at my new home in Denver.

Delivery was timely and driver went out of his way to get the deal done.

Key here is that the pickup was from residence door to residence door. Other times I have shipped I have needed to have bike picked up at a business and dropped at a business.
  4. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should have read...

10) I called police.
    11) I told him to get my bike off his truck.
    12) Now, I just have to get my money back from the shipper, but at least I didn't let a pissed off trucker take my bike.
  5. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This post was meant to alert others to MY less than positive experience with haulbikes, it wasn't intended as a call to the peanut gallery for advice. But that is the risk of posting something on a forum...

Those of you that suggest the police should have been summoned obviously have a quicker response time than we do in my city (certainly would not have called 911). Other than damaging my mailbox by accident not sure what other "crime" was committed. Acting like an asshole (driver) is not a crime. I have several friends who are cops and they complain all the time about being called to scenes where police action is not really required.

I also could have escalated the situation but chose not to and let the shipping company handle their unruly employee as they should, he doesn't work for me and I don't get paid to deal with the bullshit, they do. It's going to cost them more money to redeliver, not me.

They have rescheduled the delivery for this Monday, agreed to pay for the mailbox and promised to credit of a portion of the original shipping cost for being so late.

That being said I still would never use them again and would encourage others to do the same. YMMV....

Andy
  6. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You get to choose your own actions. You don't get to choose the reactions of others.
  7. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Agreed.
  8. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    The crime that was committed was property damage caused by a truck. That is a chargeable accident to the driver of said truck. For all you know he could have been hyped up on speed. Anytime a truck driver is in an accident they are to undergo mandatory drug screening. It should have been reported.

But, I am just a member of the "peanut gallery" so whatever. I hope you get your bike back at some time.
  9. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    As a long time professional driver as well as someone who has been in the exact same scenario many times.

"Fuck You"

You're a callous prick who instantly accuses people of being on drugs just because it's what you want to believe. We undergo drug testing every several months to prove our innocence. We undergo security scrutiny on an almost daily basis, as well as compliance with all regulations. Lay off the Hollywood images and have a dose of reality.

Running over a mailbox is property damage, same as running over grass in an intersection. It is NOT a mandatory drug test. Vehicle damage instigates drug testing, so unless the mailbox destroyed the bumper of the trailer, it's a non issue. Chargeable, yes, subject to testing? Not a chance.

Plain and simple, you have a semi truck going into a place where there ISN'T enough real estate, you have a bike owner who obviously considers himself far above the truck driver in social status, you have a driver who has to turn around 72 feet of machinery in a street built for golf carts, you have a bike owner who got confrontational, feeling the need to "air" his superiority, had to get "up in his face" about shipping delays, and then proceeded to throw the driver off his property. All before seeing his bike.

Retard.

Shipping delays are argued with the shipping company. That driver is only going where he is told to on any given day.

You knew the bike was showing up, you were home. Instead of being outside to assist parking the truck, you instantly went apeshit about your driveway and confrontational about shipping delays. Getting in the "grill" of ANYONE is a recipe to a dental visit.

Instead of being pro-active and ensuring a pleasant morning, you chose to be a pretentious fuckwad. You need to lay off the Starbucks.

You really just don't want to know about how your bike has been handled at their warehouse now. I'd suggest flushing that salt and sugar out of the engine.
  10. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now we've found the truck driver on speed! Dude, you don't even know who started the original post. If you're going to cuss somebody at least know who. Do you work for haulbikes?

If the driver would have kept the truck on the street where it belongs everything would have been fine. Instead the dumb ass tries to back the 100' beast down my driveway which isn't even straight. I didn't even know he was there until I hear the truck coming up the driveway and then it was too late. It was an ill conceived plan and executed even poorer. You would think a truck driver would know better...

The idiots are up early this morning!
  11. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    You're right.

First post said your house was next to the street. Now it's a long curved driveway.

No way is the truck 100 feet long either. The trailer is 53 feet max, which with a long tractor would be 72 overall. Most transport trailers are still 48'

Gravel driveway? Every moving van on earth would back up it.

Not disagreeing the truck driver wasn't an idiot. A smart man doesn't do that for a living by choice.

Truck driving doesn't pay enough to afford speed.:deal

Hell, half the time we can only afford decaf from the day old pot.

Shouldn't have been a candy ass and RODE that bike :D

I know you weren't the poster who accused the man of being stoned, and the :fyyff wasn't aimed at you.

I've had my coffee now, I feel better.
  12. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    FU back. I didn't accuse anyone of anything. Said "could have been". I drove a truck as well so get off your high horse. The driver caused property damage and then left the scene of the accident. That is an offense that would have meant a loss of job at any of the companies I drove for. Since we don't know the whole story here, I'll leave it at that.
  13. Gateshutter

Gateshutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why didnt you just ride the bike home ?
  14. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I started this mess....

In the great tradition of all forums... "this thread is useless without pics"

Here's the pic of my street, mine's the one at the end in the corner. Yes it's right on the street. Yes, its a long driveway. Yes, it's crooked. Heck, my buddy and I can barely back his boat up it with a spotter. Any truck driver who would try and put a semi of any length up this has very poor judgement.

The other pic is the mailbox as he was pulling out back onto the street. The mirror on the cab is actually what busted off the mailbox as I was standing right next to it yelling at the driver who didn't hear me until it was too late.

I was hot about it but never cussed the guy. I am sure he was embarrassed but telling me off certainly didn't help matters. When the guy said he wasn't going to drop off the bike and walked back to the cab and got in it was over as far as I was concerned and I went back to work. It wasn't worth getting my blood pressure up or getting into a fistfight over.

Could it have been handled better by both parties? Probably so...

As far as me being a candy ass. I rode the TAT from AR to Port Orford in 22 days 4251 miles total which is a 193 mile per day average. Trust me I did my time on that seat! There was no sense slabbing all the way back on a dirtbike 3 days and I had been off for a month and needed to get back to work and family.

As far as contaminants in the oil, I'll check the dipstick filler with a penlight just in case upon delivery. Considering how much of a bitch it is to add oil to the bike you'd have to be Houdini to get anything in there without detection. they don't have the keys so it can't be started.

The whole point of this was to not recommend haulbikes. They demanded 100% payment up front and didn't come close to meeting the 28 day maximum. That reason alone is enough to not use them in my opinion.

Only the internet could turn this into a debate about truckers and speed!!!!!

Ride safe,

Andy

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...ges/A/AndyCBR1000f_XR650L%20mods_IMG_1082.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/A/AndyCBR1000f_XR650L%2520mods_IMG_1081.jpg

dd
  15. jesus freek

jesus freek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG this is the best thread yet!!
    No doubt about it. I needed this bad. After dealing with the Idiots in Detroit the bolting deer on M 60 and the old bag trying to merge on 69 this morning nearly running under my kite, Truely awesome. I'm with you primate!:lol3
    Andy It must suck to be without your bike, :cry that driver has freeking balls! :lol3 :lol3 You never mess with the guy who has your stuff.:deal You never know what has happenned in this guys time/life up until the delivery of your bike. I'm suprised he didnt club you wiith the remains of your mail box! I work with some angry guys at my place.Lots of bad stuff happens on the road,we see it ALL the time and the fatalities affect you.
  16. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    From a trucker view this all makes sense,still wonder why a 100 ft semi is backed into a residential driveway and over a mailbox.
    Common sense would say dont do that,shouldnt need to be instructed what to do or what not to do if its a profesional driver.
    That being said a cool head on the customers part always makes things go smoother.
  17. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

:lurk
  18. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the driver reads "door to door" on his delivery ticket and big gawd that's what he was trying to do. :deal
  19. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at that driveway while I wouldn't try it I've seen drivers move rigs into smaller spots than that. Heck with the location on the corner it looks almost easy if I have the right drive. If the driver was to deliver to the home, not the street in front, then I would expect them to pull in the drive. The driver took out the mailbox and knew it was coming out of his pocket, that goes without saying. I also would bet if the poster had just told the driver that he could drop the bike out front and he would take it in then he would have his bike, his check for the mailbox, and he wouldn't be half as pissed as he is.

As to haulbikes tho they went over time and had the driver issue (which I suspect was a mutual issue with not just the driver to blame) they don't seem to have any problem paying for the damage and giving a discount for late delivery. May not be the best but could be far worse. Who does C.O.D.'s anymore anyway? That seems to be what pissed this guy off the worst?
  20. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Absolute bullshit. You have no idea what you are talking about.