DO NOT use haulbikes.com for shipping!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AndyCBR, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Matt the Wanderer

Matt the Wanderer Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer:
    This whole interaction showcases the many misconceptions people have about class structure, truck drivers, and courtesy. It also manages to offend damn near everyone in some form or another, though all that can be used to learn a little if you were inclined to become a better person.

Ideas of mine, which anyone here can feel free to lampoon:

• Assumptions about other people can show how ignorant you really are.:doh
    • Uninformed statements show that you are willing to advertise your ignorance.:confused
    • Yelling at anyone after making uninformed assumptions will NOT go well unless you are in authority and even then it can come back and bite you in the ass.
    Those three cover the initial problem between the delivery driver and the paying customer.
    Now for the inmates here:

THINK TWICE, TYPE ONCE. (hold on a moment while I think about this again..... ok..... done)

This does not have to be a group of knee-jerks who spout off at any provocation and spew their own narrow views of the world to anyone who will listen. THAT is what JoMamma is for.

I appreciate hearing about the dealings this guy had with HaulBikes, and will be doubly interested to hear that his bike did, indeed, make it to him safe and unmolested. Let us all hope that this incident is an exception and not the norm for that company. (Looking at the photos you can see that the truck is not all battered from running down thousands of mailboxes.)

Personally, I would still use their service in spite of the original poster's experience because I recognize that this is all about one mistake even though many other problems were vented as well. Yeah, they were late, but that would have never caused the original post, right? Truckers have arrived late since the first flat tire and that will continue forevermore. Motorcycles have flats, too, and we all know that long distance trips are prone to problems galore. I can give the company a break there. \
    The mistake was trying to back into the driveway without a spotter, the result was a busted mailbox. Was it repairable? Who knows, but apparently the transport company is taking responsibility for it. That seems reasonable, yes?

And since you asked, here is my advice to everyone-

To the Paying Customer: Title your posts better. Your command to "DO NOT use Haulbikes.com for shipping!" is pretentious. I want to tell you to piss off, but have thought twice about it and will refrain from that. I will, however, use any shipping service I damn well please, regardless of the outcome.

To the Haters: Lighten up! Your ideas are overblown, incorrect, and only serve to piss other people off.

To Haulbikes: You should be following this thread and taking careful notes. You can learn a lot about serving customers better by using services like Technorati to find posts like this one.

And to the thread hijackers, like me: Stop typing and go to bed. All this will seem like a distant dream when the sun comes up again.:D
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking with 17 years previous experience as a driver with a relocation company, and 6 years currently as a city P&D driver, backing up a driveway is a normal everyday thing, that is what most people prefer.

The driveway in the picture is about as easy as it gets, better than many docks I back to on a daily basis. Perhaps the driver was new, or just having a bad day.
    Stuff like the mailbox happen once in a while, the company will take care of it, and the driver will get a talking to from the boss. Getting angry and confrontational about it is not going to help in any way.
    A $300 mailbox on private property is not a DOT reportable accident.

As to payment before delivery, payment terms and conditions are determined by interstate tariff regulations.

Yes, I have a couple of mailboxes to My credit, fortunately the owners kept it in perspective, and the situation resolved to the owners satisfaction in a few minutes with one phone call.
    A wise person would give the guilty party a chance to do the right thing before freaking out about it.
  3. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The truck should have stayed on the street, period. I have no doubt you are an ace truck driver but I'm sure the dipshit that took out the mailbox thought the same thing. Why make it a challenge? You're delivering a F..ing 350 pound dirtbike with WHEELS!!! not a damn pallet. 18 wheelers don't belong on residential drives, it's that simple and I have yet to see a single one in any driveway in the whole subdivision.

As far as me freaking out the truck driver was the asshole first, you get what you give. I know everyone wants to defend the poor guy trying to make a living and make me out to be the rich snob who is a prick but it ain't so. If that makes you feel good then knock yourself out and continue to turn the content of this thread into total bickering opinionated shit...

If you disagree with me or my actions then F you very much. When you get your bike delivered you can do whatever you please.

This thread should be named "Truckers for justice to defend mailbox bashing" or something to that effect.

Unsubscribed...
  4. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:

You sure act like a prick. Both in real life (your own story tells us that) ,and online.
  5. jesus freek

jesus freek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The last 2 motorcycles I have restored and sold were shipped on a PALLET,a motorcycle pallet specificlly designed for the motorcycle with the proper hooks for the straps to fasten it to the pallet and picked up in front of my house. Maybe the driver wasnt sure on a clear exit of your addition and may have thought the best way out was to go back the same way. Your driveway looks pretty simple imo. Your tone on your replys is quite harsh,nothing is gained by your cursing. I do believe you have a right as your property was damaged to be up set, thank God it wasnt anything of REAL VALUE. Next time when you ship a bike make it clear on the invoice your wishes. We have customers all the time leave detailed instuctions for residental deliverys especially phone numbers for contact times, low trees in the addition,etc. Unfortunatly our company does send out residental del. on 53' vans and that is a challenge,especially when cars are allowed to park in the street. I have had the displeasure to interupt a family during their dinner hour to move their cars in the street so I didnt take them out while trying to navigate a curve. Residental deliverys are a hazzard to a P&D drivers heath
  6. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Maybe the truck driver had a new complimentary mail box for you and was just taking out the old one the easy way :dunno

I wouldn't have yelled at the dude until the bike was unloaded. :deal
  7. White Tenere

White Tenere 44 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Sucks you had a bad time with getting your bike shipped.

I use Keyboard both for my own personal bikes and on behalf of the major OEM's I work with, true professionals I can't recommend them enough. :deal

http://keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/
  8. Lartech

Lartech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might think about anger management counseling.
  9. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Tough break there Andy,
    I hope you get it all worked out in the end.
    You know where I live and your welcome to have them drop the bike here if facilitates a faster delivery. I can put it in the corner of the shop.

I can truly understand shipping your bike home. Not everyone that undergoes a journey like the TAT is independently wealthy and can afford the time or money to ride the machine back home. Then alot of people make the trip on their weekend dirt road bomber and I imagine more than a few or pretty tired at the end of the TAT.

Drivers.....
    I've hired my share of numnuts that looked good on paper and turned out they wasn't smart enough to wipe after they crap. They never stay around long.
    The days of drugged up drivers are pretty much over. There is a few still, the percentile would surprise you, its less than 1% but just as 1% of riders make us all look like asses so do the 1% of truck drivers.
    You would be surprised how many people got fed up with the rat race of offices and tech jobs that just dropped it all and said to hell with it, that drive trucks today. There is educated people and the common joe all doing the same job today because they actually enjoy the traveling.
    Hell I use to too. Not anymore. Those trucks could burn in the yard and I would be one happy FF. They are a headache!

Anyway, Good luck there Andy if I can help anyway just drop me a line. :freaky
  10. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes you so sure of that? Did you request that are is it just your assumtion? Obviously there are many people here who don't agree so it is not universal. Mabey the fact that you saw it as such a mistake set the tone which contributed to the problem and if it had been aproached differently there would of been a much more positive outcome.

I really don't see that happened at all on this thread. Just someone who was upset over the assumtion made by someone else about the driver being on drugs.

So you feel that if someone disagrees with you then the correct responce is profanity? Man up. You put your shit out there so stop whinning when people disagree. The driver screwed up in taking out your mailbox which it seems like both he and haulbikes never had any issue with. I bet the reason you didn't get your bike is you wanted to scold the driver more than to get your bike. Well you got what you wanted so why be such an ass about it?
  11. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread! It fits right in with the sleepy trucker that almost took me into the construction wall nascar style this morning. He kindly folded my mirror in for me using his trailor then went on his way.:lol3 There is only some white paint on my mirror so I didnt report it as a hit and run but fuck if I wasnt pissed! To his credit he probably didnt even know he did it. Although Im sure he was wondering why some asshole was giving him the ADV salute. I still dont know how I didnt hit the wall.:huh
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't seem to grasp that's the way its done. That is what 99% of customers want. Most places I deliver to are not designed to be semi accessible, the average business park is much tighter than the average residential neighborhood. Just being able to drop stuff off in the street would be great, but that's not the way it is. Not an anger based opinion, but a real fact.

The company I drive for now charges extra for deliveries in residential areas. Thats because of all the added hazzards like mailboxes, power lines, tree limbs, cars, basketball hoops, and a multitude of other things.

You refer to the driver as a dipshit, have you never made a mistake at work?

Did You give Him a chance to do the right thing before getting in His face?
  13. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    +1

Delivery means it's delivered to the house. It's not ridden up from the street. Unless you want the trucking company on your insurance, they're not registered riders, nor are they required to even be licensed motorcyclists. They do not carry, push or drag your possession from the road. F.O.B shipment means freight on board. Once it leaves the confines of the trailer, it's yours. Go price a moving company. They give you 75 feet from your front door to the door of the trailer. Then they charge you per each 50 feet thereafter.

To expect anything but payment up front? Even the fucking post office requires you to buy your stamp first before they mail your letter.

For the life of me, there is no way a driver's mirrors on any semi truck sit low enough to the ground to contact any mailbox. The large west coast mirrors on each door sit 8 feet up, hood mirrors on my truck sit 5'10.

Looking at the pictures, I can't fathom how the mail box got hit. I wouldn't have even hesitated backing up that driveway. Judging from the damage to the mailbox, it looks like 3 minutes and a 9/16 inch wrench worth of work. In fact, probably less effort than required the OP to type his rant.

I'd suggest blaming Pedro the lawn mower guy for breaking your mailbox. The trailer probably just bumped it, or as the OP suggested, the driver hit it to avoid running over the owner who stated he was standing next to it, and the driver had to turn the wheel to avoid running over his wingtips.

This should be punted to Jo Momma, it's too good to let die.
  14. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Bump!
  15. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    probably a few of the posters here
  16. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wowzers!

Not what you were expecting, for sure, but I for one appreciate the warning. Thanks.
  17. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    :rofl

you call that damage?

Ok. you've got to ductape it back on the pole. Fine. Still, you should have been courteous to the driver until you got your bike off that truck. You could have still been an asshole to him afterward if that's what you like to do on your free time and sent the company the bill for the ductape.

Other than that, pretty lame rant.

haulbikes got 4 bikes delivered from NY to my place on time and without any problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver even had some mechanical issues and called me several times to provide updates for me since I had taken time off work to be there for delivery.
  18. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be so quick to bash the company, maybe the driver could have been calmer and more courteous but it takes two to have a fight.

Looking at the pics of your place I see how the accident happened, but it was just that, an accident. Looks like he didn't take the curb into account and was gonna just back over a portion of grass and go straight back from the street. From his angle he most likely didn't see the mailbox.

I was in logistics for a while, my uncle's company. He owns maybe a dozen or so trucks and there are another dozen or so owner operators on the payroll.

Unfortunately I can count on one hand the nice normal guys who are courteous. Those guys get better hours and routes and make it home to be with their families every night. They also get bonuses and paid days off.

Yes, a good percentage of them are a little on the rude side but NOT all of them are assholes. Perhaps if you didn't run out in a huff he may have had a different tune.
  19. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    Another option to look at for shipping things when you live in a 18-wheeler UNfriendly area is shipping to a freight terminal, where you can pick the item (motorcycle or whatever) up at your convenience.

It's already off the truck, and in my experience, if you ask nicely there always seems to be someone willing to use a forklift to help you load heavy stuff into your truck or on your trailer.

YMMV.
  20. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow so when you're the customer everyone has to eat your shit? Glad I'm never going to eat with you cuz god only knows what they do to your food with that attitude. My self respect isn't for sale, at least not for the kind of money we are talking about here, and if you want respect from me you damn well are going to give it also. Being a customer does not give anyone a free asshole pass.