Do You Know This R100/7 "scrambler" in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Old-n-slo, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Old-n-slo

Old-n-slo Burnin' fossil fuels! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey,

My son in the eastern Sierra of California has decided his F800GS "has no soul" and he is wanting an airhead. My rides have been airhead Beemers and KLRs since before my beard was gray. So he asked me about this bike he found on Craigslist-- just a quick 15 hours from where he lives!

It's being sold by a guy named Dan in Seattle who said he has 9 airheads and 6 newer bikes and has gone through everything on this bike prior to putting it up for sale. But it seems like a guy with that many airheads would belong to the the ABC or perhaps the MOA. Can't find him in either the Airheads Dairectory or the MOA Anonymous Book. And the bike has an open Alaska title going back two owners-- which is not THAT uncommon, but who wants surprises at the California DMV?

Wondering if anybody knows this bike or has any familiarity with Dan, who said he wrenches bikes in his own shop.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-1977-bmw-r100-7-scrambler/7186451931.html

Thanks in advance for any information or help with this. Obviously, neither I nor my son can just zip up there to check the bike over.

JohnD
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    6k is a lot for a bitsa being sold by a flipper.
  3. AndrewSJC

AndrewSJC Out of round & off center, but not rusted through.

Oddometer:
    I think a "flipper" is someone who buys a bike in order to quickly resell it at a profit. A flipper does not disassemble and re-seal the motor, replace the steering head bearings, final drive seals and timing chain, rebuild the forks, put on new shocks and tires, and replace the clutch.
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    True. But was that work really done? And why doesn't this pro mechanic have a rep somewhere?
  5. AndrewSJC

AndrewSJC Out of round & off center, but not rusted through.

Oddometer:
    Good point. If he's been a pro airhead mechanic "for decades", he should have put his name and the name of his shop in the ad.
  6. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I dislike the current trend for "scramblers" and the like, from the photos it is one of the best and most practical that I have seen. Most of the mods seem to have been to keep it usable bike, double discs, road orientated knobblies, oil cooler, none of this answers the OP question of course but does help sell the bike to me. It would be more expensive in the UK, $6,000 is around £5,000 and they would be asking £7-8,000 here although I am not sure they sell for that.
    Jim Day likes this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I saw that bike here in the big flea market

I know I saw somewhere that some one was asking about rear fender
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. atlthrux

atlthrux Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to the owner, sorry. I like the bike's description though.
    Not sure f CA requires turn indicators, but I don't see any on the bike.
    Personally, if a bike was just assembled from parts, I'd like to see more a break-in period before I took ownership.
  10. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not bad looking but I question a few things like the the way the front brake lines are run.:nono
  11. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Seattle and am not familiar with this bike or "Dan". Doesn't mean a lot but ....

I remember the posting in the FM and noticed he was "noob" when he listed it. He's had 7 posts since joining in 2014...3 were for this bike's listing and 2 of the others were Regional FM posts. Again, doesn't mean a lot as he could be working in his shop instead of surfing the forums.

I am local and would be willing to "help" in any reasonable way you/your son may need...