Do you suggest Garmin Quest ?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by AGIRABI, Apr 27, 2006.

1. AGIRABI

AGIRABI The World Is Mine

Oddometer:
    I own a Garmin V and i would like to upgrade it to Garmin Quest.
    Do you guys suggest it ? I read the detailed info about it quite like it.
    Does anyone have bad thoughts about it ?

Thanks alot...
  2. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    My buddy bought a Quest and now after using my 60c he now sees the diff. The Quest does not allow you to save tracks or import multiple tracks, You can only load a track into it if you rename it "ACTIVE LOG" but then to follow it you would turn off the tracking feature so you don't erase it. It is a great feature to share or use other's tracks to find new areas to ride, especially for off-road travel also, If you don't need the Voice feature then I would suggest the 60cx. much more versatile.
    JMO
  3. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quest or Quest II. I love my Quest 2. I save tracks from the unit to the computer. Never bothered to work with them in the unit itself.
  4. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a quest and like it a lot, hard to beat for the price. I paid $360 which included the Quest, a car mount/cigarett plug/speaker, wall charger, and City Select. When you use it in the car it talks to you. I always make my routes on my computer then download them to the GPS. It would be nice if you could custom name the routes, when you have a bunch of them on the GPS at one time it can get a little confusing, now it just shows the starting location and ending location as the track name (not a big deal and I am not sure if any GPS lets you do that.) The amount of mem is good for a weekend trip but if you went for a long week or 2 ride you would have to take a laptop. Have never had the battery run out, it is listed as 20 hours, but is probably not that long. I have dropped it 2 times while taking it off the bike and it still works fine. Also took it in some heavy rain and no problem.
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    The quest 2 comes fully pre-loaded, plus you can get the NA maps free for your computer.
  6. MABAPIGU

MABAPIGU MABAPIGU

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60csx is a very good choice!!!:wink:
  7. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    You can custom name the routes. In MapSource, double click on the route and uncheck the box near the top that says Autoname. Now you can call it whatever you want. You can also save routes in as many different files as you want (to group them). Plus you can have multiple instances of MapSource running on your computer which is really handy to copy waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. from one file to another.
  8. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet thanks!

9. AGIRABI

Oddometer:
    rwamf
    becoyote
    tomn
    mapabigu

Thank you so much for your helpfull messages... I think i will think about buying quest2 and look for a good deal...:thumb
  10. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have a quick question to ask..... maps that are preloaded for so much extra $$ on the quest 2. can't i load all that on a normal quest and essentially be the same? why so much extra cash? or would i have to buy the discs with all that data to load? also, if it comes preloaded does the #2 have more memory to hold that data? thanks.
    -Zac
  11. XSNRG

XSNRG Northern Michigan

Oddometer:
    I am happy with my Quest. Probaby not worth the minor upgrades for the Quest 2. You can find some great deals on the Quest now.

Spend the extra savings on a good mount and power supply. I use Touratech mounts on my GS and KTM. I have power on the GS. The KTM does not have power to the mount because I have never needed the GPS for more than 8 hours with it in one day.

On the other hand if you want a big screen with all the bells and whistles, there are better units for much more $$$.
  12. AGIRABI

Oddometer:
    Spam16v
    XSNRG

Thanks alot guys, i have changed my direction to now Garmin 2610:D
    I want to buy once and forget about it.
  13. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Depending on which version you have, the Americas basemap Quest 1 can hold 115mb of maps, the Atlantic basemaps (i.e., Europe) can hold 243mb - CS Europe is around 1.5Gb, CS NA is around 1.8Gb, last I heard.

The Quest 2 for Europe has around 512mb of free space for extra maps, the Americas version has 140mb free.
  14. XSNRG

XSNRG Northern Michigan

Oddometer:
    Why the 2610?
    That is basically the same as the BMW Navigator II...

I realize there are a lot of 'touch-screen' models coming out as it makes a lot of sense to me in an auto, but on a motorcycle? With gloves and dirt and sun and rain...

What about the hard-drive and no battery capability?
    I may be off on all of these factors, but I would like to know more.

Tell us more on your decision.

15. jghix

jghix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like my Quest.
    The battery, when the screen isn't on high intensity will last easily through the day. Loading any maps you need is easily done.I like the compact size. It's rugged, it has survived tough conditions on my dirtbike. Tracks are easily saved on my pc. It's a good unit for the price.
  16. XSNRG

XSNRG Northern Michigan

Oddometer:
    I will second everything jghix said.

I also use my Quest on both my BMW and KTM. One mount on each bike makes it possible to switch from bike to bike to vehicle in less than 20 seconds.

One downside to the Quest is the ability to save multiple tracks. I only use mine to download to my PC as well, but some people use tracks to input data and follow them through the day.
  17. AGIRABI

Oddometer:

I bought Garmin 2720, one thning i don't like about it no battery capability.
    We will see . I will share my impressions with you guys.

Sincerely.
  18. bLaCk 8east

bLaCk 8east Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also in the market for a quest, have weighted up all the pro's cons of these versus other gps and have decided to go for the quest as it seems to mount on the KTM a whole lot better tahn may of the others i've looked at.

My question though is on the Version 1 or version 2 scenario. Some of the comments here have confused me a bit so am looking for a bit of clarification.

The quest 1's are going for some really good prices reight now, which clearly when you weigh up the costs of the TT cockpit mounts makes them look pretty tasty. Just some questions though...

With the quest 1, is it possible to have multiple different routes to a given location stored on the device at any given time. I think this is true but there may be issues with the naming of these maps, can anyone please elobarate on this please ?

With the basic quest, will I have enough memory to have my european base maps loaded and also the more specific city navigator maps ?

Are there any other pro's and cons I should be aware of ?

Thanks a bunch !
  19. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had 6 or 8 routes downloaded into my Quest 1 before, not sure how many it will hold be never needed to do more than that. Not sure about the maps, all I have is City Select, have not been on a trip that was so long I could not fit everything with the mem it has.
  20. bLaCk 8east

bLaCk 8east Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, one other question, does the standard quest come with the city nav software perloaded. I know the Q2 does, but how about the Q1 ?
    If not, can this be downloded to the device directly or does it need to come on an external memory card ?

Thanks