'Doc' Porter

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Tom S, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I met 'Doc' Porter a few times. Very nice guy.
    It seems that someone mentioned him here many years ago, & there was a brief discussion. Can't find it though. Akrider, were you in on that in on that?

Doc Porter lived on De Armoun road for a long time & among his collections of bikes & cars he also had an interesting collection of rare & unusual scooters.
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn/obituary.aspx?n=thomas-jenks-porter&pid=193239012
    JagLite likes this.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Man, in reading his obituary, quite an amazing individual!

Among many other things, says that he "worked in a motorcycle repair shop." Wonder which one and when?

Thanks for the link, Tom.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Tom S

Oddometer:
    it was an independent shop that was on the east side of Arctic Blvd between West Potter Dr. & the railroad tracks. I think it's the same shop that's now on the south side of West Potter just a bit west of the old MC shop location.

Ah! Here it is on Arctic in 2011.

AK Cycles Arctic Blvd 2011.jpg
    JagLite and AKDuc like this.
  4. Tom S

Oddometer:
    I think that Doc Porter might have even owned a part interest in that AK Cycles shop, but I'm not very sure about it.
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super nice guy.........RIP Doc.
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I saw him several times at Lahn Pad Thai, sometimes driving a Morris Minor that was a pretty nice ten footer.
  7. Tom S

Oddometer:
    He had 2 or three of those little Morris Minors, wagons, sedans. For decades you could see 'em in his driveway when coming up De Armoun.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Met him about 10 years ago while working. We talked bikes for about 20 mins. He really nice guy. He invited me to see the collection that he had. Too bad I never took his offer up.
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I went to the Celebration. Good time. Saw several people that are part of the m/c community including two that are a part of our own group.

Lost a pannier lid on the way back. As soon as I got home I jumped in the car and zipped down the road backtracking. Someone was kind enough to run over it a time or two but I found it and that makes me a winner. A chunk of 2x4 and a sledge might make the whining stop. Def squished but not quite toast. :thumb