Documenting Sandy. Our 1969 CB750 w/ engine #1111

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ADVDucs33, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a great video, and gorgeous bike. Thanks for posting that, it is inspiration. I have a photo of that bike on the coast at pebble beach as my computer background, look at it daily. It also goes to show it isn't the size of the shop or the big shiny tool chests that make for great work, its the individual behind the tool.

I did a little more work this weekend, mounted passenger pegs and confirmed the frame brackets are in proper alignment. Also removed the left set of pipes to start the needed work of replacing the side stand lug...Obtained one off of a junked k0 frame, will take pictures as I go.
  2. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    My family went to the Barber Museum last Friday for a little visit on our way home from the Destin FL area. This bike is a beauty, and was a very close one to mine. The engine number is 41 numbers off of my bikes engine, kinda cool.

Barber 1001070.JPG

The candy blue green really spoke to me, going to stick with what my bike was originally after all.

(plus my wife really liked it)
    zzzak, CCitis, sidetrack one and 3 others like this.
  3. sacto929

sacto929 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Keep up the good work and I'll be watching intently.

I inherited my Dad's 1973 CB750 Four when he passed just about 3 years ago. It hasn't moved under its own power since 1987 and has 5985 miles on the clock. It sat in the shed out back in Sacramento for 30 years. The metallic orange paint was hiding under the dust but looks decent. Chrome bits have some surface rust spots, by should clean up. The one piece that is rusty is the throttle cable housing.

I'm not certain when I'll start the project, but are there any particularly good resources to check out regarding getting it running again?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that the earliest CB750s did, in fact, have sand cast cases.
  5. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    Sacto929 - A great source of parts to tune up and revive your cb750 would be 4into1 out of San Fran. They carry a lot of nice parts for our vintage Hondas, and are real quick with sending orders and such. Also check out the sohc/4 forums, lots of knowledge and reference there. That's awesome you have your dads old bike, enjoy it.

The only progress on the Sandy has been slowly hunting oem parts, which I hope this week will yield a nice rear fender.
    TonyKZ1 and minimac like this.
  6. sacto929

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links @ADVDucs33 . I've been poking around on the 4into1 site to get a feel for restoration costs and it appears pretty reasonable. Also, it seems that the bike is most likely a 1972 instead of 1973 model. The "750Four" logo matches the 1972 and earlier style and the mfg tag states mfg date of 5/1972, but the DMV paperwork states 1973 MY.

Good luck with sourcing the fender! Keeping an eye out for progress on Sandy. Thanks!
  7. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    With a build date of 5/72 it could go either way, the VIN would be the sure fire way to figure out
    Some titles listed the year the bike was first sold as it's model year. in the 70's it wasn't as clear cut as it was today. that's where the whole K0 comes from. Model years were a little blurry back then.
  8. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    There was a lawsuit against Honda which got me a check for an unremembered amount. Something to do with titled model years and mfgr date. I had a CB750 at the time.
  9. sacto929

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the hijack ADVDucs33....

It certainly is interesting.... The mfg date is 5/72, the VIN is 2041xxx, which according to the decoder on sohc4.net is a 1972 model, but the CA title states MY 1973 (still have it on non-op CA title). I kinda doubt my Dad even knew about a lawsuit addressing such things.
  10. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    I wasn't kidding when I said this may have times of being slowwww. Life has been good considering the way the years been. I've worked on numerous bikes this season, and found a few stashes of old Honda goods. First good find for Sandy was a pair of rear blinkers and mounts, with number 8 bolts and the correct lenses.
    KIMG0477 (1).JPG
    After finding those fairly easy to obtain blinkers in a 33 gallon tote full of blinkers, I hit eBay up and ordered an nos Honda grab handle too.

The real great find this summer though were these pipes. OEM early sandcast no number lotus root upper right and lower left.
    KIMG0479.JPG KIMG0481.JPG KIMG0480.JPG
    They still had both baffles too!

It pays to look at every gross turd any year sohc 750 that you can. These 2 pipes were part of a set that were on a '71 when the guy took them off. The owner never had a sandcast in the past, but quite a few 750's over the last 40 years. The pipes had a lot of red fuzz, and dirt, and grease. No rusting though, and no road rash, so I took a shot they would clean up for my bike. I couldn't believe I found 2 of the 4 correct pipes!

Next item to get will be the airbox, I'd love to get it in fresh paint over the winter.
  11. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    As we roll into fall, a few more parts have rolled into my shop for the old sandy.

The fender and tail light were on ebay for a while, I inquired about a deal for the pair and the seller sent a nice offer. They are crusty, but solid and straight. I have both of them at my local chrome shop now, hopefully in 2 weeks I'll have them back.

fender.JPG Screenshot 2020-10-20 132403.jpg

I also ordered these common parts, it's way better then fighting slightly stiff out of shape originals.

Capture.JPG

As I wait for chrome, I'll see about that elusive 2 hole airbox...or a seat...or the lower right and upper left no number pipes.

I still have a bit to do here :jinx.
    jethrocephus likes this.
  12. sacto929

Oddometer:
    If you haven't already, check out www.sohc4.net forums. I have been reading there a lot recently, as my CB is next up. There are several threads about restoring old rubber parts using Oil of Wintergreen in solution with various solvents. A 3:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Wintergreen seemed to hit the right balance of restoration performance, price and safety.
  13. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    I have been on the sohc4 site a few times. I've heard of the wintergreen trick, but I never knew the blend. I'll have to give it a try when I have a piece that needs it. My boots had some tearing, but I could experiment with them anyways!

Thanks for the formula sacto929
  14. KPfromCT

KPfromCT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Early Hondas were assigned the model year in which they were first titled, at least in Connecticut. Honda didn't start putting model years on the VIN tags until '76 or '77. I've seen CL350K4s titled as 1972 or 1973. I've seen 350-4s called '72, '73, or '74 even though they were built for less than 3 years. The law suit mentioned above got Honda doing it like everyone else.

Most people would consider the CL350K4 in the back of my garage a 1972.
  15. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    I don't have the fender and bracket from the chrome shop yet, but I may as well add this in. I've assembled all of the correct toolkit except for the points file and feeler gauge, a tad more progress. I also bought nos rubber for getting the fender mounted when it arrives.

KIMG0590.JPG
  16. ADVDucs33

Oddometer:
    Took care of the glaring problem with my bike over the weekend...Welded up a new kickstand lug and gusset onto my frame. I test fit along the way with the full set of pipes the bike now has as well. I found the lower right and upper left, full set now!
    KIMG0596.JPG KIMG0600.JPG

Still don't have the rear fender back, but I'm ready to get that on.

In the meantime I'll get my smooth oil filter cover finished and on the engine, and lace up a correct new d.i.d. rim onto the front hub.