"Dodging Potholes" - Motorcycling in Eastern Europe

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dave Barrett, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Dave Barrett

Dave Barrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode from my home in Southwest Germany to the Black Sea. On the way, I visited the orphanage and school for mentally handicapped children in Calarasi, Moldova - an experience which prompted me to do something to help the poor kids there. To be able to raise some money for them, I decided to write a book about motorcycling in Eastern Europe, which of course includes the ride from Bühl to Calarasi and back.

I'm now trying to gain support from the worldwide motorcycling community. Hopefully, you’ll support my chosen cause by buying a book. Actually, don't think of it as buying a book, but giving money to a poor orphanage and getting the book for free! I am paying all of the printing costs myself, so that every single cent earned from the €15 (approx. $US 23) cover price can go directly to the orphanage.

A sample, together with some of the pictures can be found here.

The main book data is as follows:

126 pages, printed on high quality art paper
    82 colour photographs
    11 maps
    English language
    Every single cent of the €15,00 cover price goes to the orphanage in Calarasi

For more information on the book and a couple of extracts, please have a look here.

Please PM me or E-mail from the above website if you would like to contribute.

Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Dave
  2. Dave Barrett

Dave Barrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m pleased to be able to say that I’ve now sold out of books. Thank you to everyone who supported the fundraising action by buying books and a very special thank you to all those who also sent additional donations. I have just handed over a cheque for a whopping €2807,37 to the project. Some work has already been carried out at the orphanage using the project money, the most important being a complete new roof, so hopefully the damp walls and ceilings are now a thing of the past.

I hope to visit the orphanage again next year. If this works out, I’ll post an update following my return.

Thank you once again and a very happy new year to you all!

Dave
  3. McFlyMpls

McFlyMpls Gumby...don't ask...

Oddometer:
    "After Cluj Napoca, we left the busy E60 and rode on the comparatively quiet E16, which runs alongside. This roads runs through hilly landscape towards Reghin. In Cluj Napoca, we saw the last signs of industry. The villages that we were now passing through seem to live entirely from agriculture. We could often see work being done in the fields, that for us has for a long time been handled by machinery, being done by hand or with animals."

How interesting. My wife is from Romania, Cluj-Napoca actually! We met in the fall of 2004 when she was working in Venice, Italy. Since then, I've been all over the country of Romania, every time we visit we rent a car and GO!! But an ADVenture-style trip would be the ultimate! My favorite was the
    Transfăgărăşan Road built by the megalomaniac Ceauşescu. To someday do that on 2 wheels. . .

Our most recent trip took us to Bucegi mountains. Anyhow, wish I had scored a copy of your book.

-Sean
  4. Dave Barrett

Dave Barrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sean,

I hope to spend a bit more time in Cluj-Napoca next year, since my short trip through didn't do the place any justice. Romania has some excellent roads for bikes, however, the driving style leaves a bit to be desired :yikes