Does anyone have a multi and 1200 gs

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Phxrider3, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Phxrider3

Phxrider3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was wondering if anyone here has a 1200 and Multistrada, was wonder how they compare or which one you like better. Looking a 15 1200 s and a 15 1200GS LC
  2. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Did a trip once and was able to swap bikes for a day..

Multistrada = Faster and more fun...

GSA = Hell of a lot more comfortable...
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I had a 2010 GSA, and replaced it after 93,000 miles with a 2016 MTS 1200S.

The Ducati is definitely faster and much more fun.

The BMW was more trouble free, had better weather protection, and was cheaper to maintain (I did all the servicing myself). The newer GS would be a closer match to the Multistrada, but I still own the Ducati. :D
    diabolik37 likes this.
  4. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some comparison here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-1200-with-some-gsw-for-good-measure.1281108/

I had them in the garage at the same time. I will add a data point outside conventional wisdom - I found the Multi more comfortable despite having more knee bend (I'm 6'1"). I'm fine with the stock seat and screen on the Multi - I had to swap out the stock ones on the GSw, as well as add more light up front.

The bikes are very different temperaments. The GSw is very clinical, does what it is asked, is great around town or most everywhere. Really the only time the ride is left wanting is if you're pushing it hard and want to get close to red line. The boxer starts to run out of breath above 7K, maybe a tad lower. But I found handling to be neutral, pulls well from low revs, fine 2-up - really hard to fault the GSw.

The Multi by comparison is much more dramatic. You have to concentrate a bit more to keep the motor in the sweet spot (for me, above 5K though it does have a decent pull around 3.5K). The handling is quicker (17" front wheel helps), and if you are flogging the motor the bike goes like a scalded cat. My wife also found the Multi more comfortable for her - more fore-aft room than the GSw or the SA-S that replaced it.

Multi has longer major service internals, but they are more expensive (assuming you do both at the dealership). I loved the GSw, then got the Multi as a second bike, found that I kinda liked having more torque and hp on tap, ended up swapping the GSw for the KTM. Now I have what I'm finding to be an unbeatable pair of bikes for the riding I do - which is commute every day to work, weekend rides, mostly 2-up, in the twisties, and overnight touring with some multi-day thrown in when we can make it work.
  5. Phxrider3

Phxrider3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If could only have one ,multi or 1200?
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    IF I could only have one bike ( shudder at the thought :D), I think the GS would be a bit more versatile.

However, your riding preferences still factor in to the answer. I come from a sport bike background, so the Ducati ticks more boxes for me.
  7. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, considering I traded my GSw for the KTM, my choice would be between SA-S and Multi. And I probably would take the SA-S if I had to choose as it gives a bit more flexibility (mostly better in dirt). But then there are days when I ride the Multi and think that would be the one if I had to drop down to one bike. Oddly enough the Multi beats both the KTM and BMW on comfort for pillion and myself.

For now I don't have to make that choice :D
    46er likes this.
  8. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    GS over the Multi. Only due to ergonomics though. The Ducati motor is nice and nimble.
  9. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lhave my third 05 GS and my second MTS1200 now. I would hate to give up either one, really hard decision but the Ducati is more refined that the older GS. If I had another GSAW then it would be more even and a much tougher decision. I always say I'll always have a GS in the garage!