Does big tank for xr650l fit on xr 400?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by snottygobble, Jun 24, 2007.

1. snottygobble

snottygobble Bhakti Yogi

Oddometer:
    Seeing as the xr650l wont magically appear in my shed, i'm planning on (depending on feedback) setting up my xr400 to do bigger jaunts. Being a tight arse i'd like to try to transfer bits from one bike to another when I eventually fill the money jar up to go the bigger bike. Does anyone out there know if the xr frames are suited to crossing over the tanks?

On another note, I'm keen to find out about the relative noise differences between these two bikes.
    My xr runs with the baffle removed and I really don't fancy the noise too much, but the oomph is taken for granted (fickle sod). I'm trying to find out if the xr650l (or dr650) with std exhaust will pull as strongly as the xr400 with the baffle taken out. I have read at length of the benefits a free running system will give the xr/dr 650's, but from my current perspective, the extra power is simply not needed, I just want to cruise quitely and if it will still perform like my 400 does now that will do nicely. All input keenly sought.

Cheers, Craig.
  2. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well from what is listed here, It looks like the 250 and the 400 are the same, but not the 650L. I don't know if they could be made to fit.

Walter
  3. AJ..

AJ.. Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe i will just help to answer question 1...

for the 22litre acerbis tank which is use for XR600R/XR650L,all you need is a longer bracket to mount the tank...it will sit nicely after that...

[​IMG]

sorry i dun have a clearer view of the bracket...its the one underneath the tank that screwed on to the frame...
    or you mite wanna consider 25ltr Acerbis tank?:D
    [​IMG]
  4. snottygobble

snottygobble Bhakti Yogi

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps A.J and Walter.

A.J, thats a beast ride. Nice.

Cheers, Craig.