1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Canada have country wide cell phone service?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Warin, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    I would not have thought so but,

What happens when you turn yer phone off for 8 days?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02...-after-missing-persons-report-issued/13171718

"I told my colleague I wouldn’t be able to reply to his messages, but he just didn't think it was possible to be travelling without reception for eight days," said Mr Keddy a bicycle tourist from Canada.

Mr Keddy’s colleague contacted his mum in Canada, and then contacted Victoria Police to report him as missing.

He is safe an well ... but he was not that remote in Australian terms.

He rode into the small town of Woods Point and attracted some attention from locals.

"Everyone was pointing at me and then the police showed up. They knew my name and I thought, 'uh oh… what have I done now?'"

Mr Keddy said a big reason he loved being in remote areas of Australia was because he could disconnect from the world and feel truly in the moment.

"That’s part of the appeal," he said.

"I enjoy it more if there are minimal distractions."
  2. vanbeekbrett

vanbeekbrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We definitely don’t have country wide cell service in Canada, I’d be willing to bet that there’s probably twice as much area without as there is with.

Edit: quick research says 2 million sq km out of close to 10 million sq km is in cell coverage.
  3. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    That is about the same as Australia, a little more but then rough numbers.

Who ever this 'colleague' is needs to get a reality check :thwak.
  4. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Difference is there aren't many roads in the parts of Canada without signal.
    Having said that, the cell coverage in our mountain National Parks is near non-existent.
    gpfan and C3trevor like this.
  5. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are stretches in Ontario on the Trans Canada highway without coverage.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Highly suggest using something like WhatsApp, Viber, Signal, etc to not depend on cell signal for communication. Also US companies seem to be giving better access to Canadian cell networks than what natives are getting, so if you are traveling from US just get North America plan.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without gas too.. pushed my bike for 6km
    Old Smokey likes this.
  8. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well as far as I understand, without cell coverage you won't have internet,too. Or you'd have a satellite phone, but then again, you' d have cell coverage. ;-)
    gpfan likes this.
  9. NorOntScout

NorOntScout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Living in Ontario, there is not full coverage throughout the province. Working on Manitoba on occasion, there is not full coverage throughout.

If you are close to large cities near major highways you are almost guaranteed a signal.

It is typically the northern reaches that you will find sporadic signals.

The one post about US providers having better coverage might want to rethink the statement since the US carriers piggyback on the existing Canadian networks, no signal means no signal.

Been using a cell repeater for the last 10 years at the bush camp (this gets me voice but no data), weather will affect the ability to get a signal. Slowly the network expands. I used to be unable to get any signal until I was 10 minutes out of town along a major highway.

Sometimes drive into town to use the tourist info centers to get free wifi to catch up on emails.
    Bill 310 likes this.
  10. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It works over WiFi
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    The Bell/Telus coverage map for my area in BC?Nowhere close to reality.Maybe in a few years?
    250senuf likes this.
  13. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    You found a lot of WiFi along the Trans-Canada in N Ontario?
    GravelRider, gpfan and 250senuf like this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There were some at restaurants and hotels.
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or maybe not. Since their map shows there is coverage why would they bother to install more towers. ;)
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Newfoundland is the same. Plenty of places with no coverage, like my house. The highway is pretty good all across but plenty of rural areas have nothing.

Wifi callling on my iPhone is handy but I don't think I can get rid of my landline.
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I'm ten minutes north of the busiest highway in Canada, near Kingston Ontario, and we have service. Sort of. Gets really sketchy east or west of here and 5 minutes farther north.

Then there's places like Napanee. On the 401 highway, decent sized town. 5 bars of service and.... you can't make a call or load a web page. Some times. A lot of tines.

You really need to stay connected, get a sat phone.
  18. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Half the time I'm riding around home I don't have Cell Service. Wife worries, I usually have a half dozen texts when I hit coverage. I drop every thing and reply right away LOL
    Ymirtrials and Maggot12 like this.
  19. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    I usually turn the thing off - at least plane mode. Saves a lot of battery power when out of range. Turning it back on .. I want to be sitting down with a beverage.
    cyclopathic, Vikingtazz and MGV8 like this.
  20. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can and have been out riding for multiple days around here with no cell service, might hit a signal at the top of a mountain lookout here and there. Wife wants me to start using an in reach or spot thingy..... might start using one this year.
    MGV8 likes this.