1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Canada have country wide cell phone service?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Warin, Feb 21, 2021.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an Old Spot. I finally put it on the Monthly Subscription as I only use it once or twice a year. Keeps the little woman happy on my Solo journeys North where you can be out of service for days. She can track my progress and I send a note when I'm setting up camp. When You get North of Highway 16, the towns have good Cell service but there is nothing in-between. There is a lot of in-between.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  2. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an inreach a friend gave me and I’ll likely get a subscription for it this summer, the Missus is much happier if I can check in every day.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just need to train her properly; I am going to the place where there's no service and that's the way it is. Love you too.
  4. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing, my in-laws live near the middle of nowhere and the signal in their steel quonset
    is better than my living room in Red Deer.
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I had one of the original Spot units, but the wife never checked it and since I got it for her peace of mind, that turned out to be a waste.
  6. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a few more years we'll all have Satellite internet. Then it'll be planet wide coverage. Space x has put the satalittes in orbit already.
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Most of the world has satellite phone now. The North and South Poles are problems as there are few customers... bears, seals and penguins don't want them and only offer fish as payment.

Satellite internet is not that helpful in an emergency .. uses more power than a satellite phone, bigger, weights more and costs more... :dunno
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. summitx

summitx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you need coverage best bet is an inreach. It links to you phone so you can send text messages. Also has a tracking function if the worry is monitoring progress and whereabouts by loved ones.