Does it always rain in Newfoundland and other things like that...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride2ADV, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Ride2ADV

Ride2ADV World Shrinkers Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If we haven't been there, it's on the list.
    The two of us are presently in Newfoundland. We have spent 10 days here so far. Our route has basically taken us around the perimeter of the island from Port Au Basques, north to the western tip at St. Anthony, then back down and across the the north shore, down to St. Johns and now around the Avalon penninsula to leave tomorrow from Argentia.

We can say that the land is rugged and beautiful, and if you want to have Canada to yourself, come and vist. There are still vast and empty spaces where you can lose yourself (and your way) and enjoy all that Newfoundland has to offer. We also can say that it rains. Alot. More than alot. Almost constantly. Well at least for us it has, so we would say that rain gear is a must.

Tomorrow we take the 14 hour ferry to North Sydney, Nova Scotia and ride the length of it the following day. Then onto the Cat for the ride into Portland, ME.

As soon as we get home (Sunday) we will post pictures. Warning... not much sunshine, but we think you will enjoy the pics. If you are thinking of trying out Newfoundland, its definitely worth it!!!

Until Sunday!
  2. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    bring on the pix!

Nate
  3. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Boy did you choose a bad two weeks to come here lol. Strange weather we have been having last few weeks...even we are sick of it. I think we had one nice day each of the last two weeks here on the west coast. And its nasty over around st johns today. good thing your leaving via Argentia, cause the ferrys are a mess at the moment in port aux basque. one of them blew a turbo and they had to ship one in from sweden of all places.
  4. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Well, even with the rain we have had a wonderful time. We don't think we have met nicer people or seen more wildlife (the animal kind, not the human kind although we did walk down Georges St. ;-)

While here we saw:
    Bald eagle (why is it that Americans have to come to Canada to see its national symbol... hmmm)
    Moose - and plenty of them, but no caribou sigh...
    Multiple foxes
    Osprey
    The biggest friggin brown rabbit we have ever seen, no kidding, he must have been 20 pounds (he tried to play chicken with us and we both just barely missed him)
    Great Horned Owl

We're glad to hear that the Argentia ferry is OK. Any news about the Cat running from Yarmouth to Portland.

Thx!
  5. c munch

c munch Destination unknown

Oddometer:
    Thanks,cant wait.
    Had plans to go to n/s next week but my riding partners sister was in a serious car accident,she has been in a coma for 4 weeks so the trip will have to wait.
  6. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which route are you planning from N. Sydney to Yarmouth? If your up for some ride along company for a couple of hours drop me a line. Always looking for an excuse to play hookie and go for a ride :wink:

Weather has been GREAT hear all week...nice and hot too, give you a chance to dry out :clap
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  8. mrfreeze54

mrfreeze54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to attempt a trip in a few weeks to Newfoundland. Hoping to ferry from Bar harbor to Yarsmouth, NS. Ride through and around N.S. to Sidney.
    Ferry from Sidney to Port aux Basques, NL...
  9. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Well we are on the ferry at the moment. We think its the Smallwood.

C munch - ow.. hope things work out ok. Then riding!

JTT - we were just talking about that. Since we are just zoomin the length of the penninusula, we were trying to figure out whether to get onto 101 or 103.

The other half has a must stop near Magaree forks. There's a folk art shop there called Two Macs and we must stop there.

We are trying to figure out if our butts are iron enough to go into North Sydney, and take the Englishtown cable ferry, then through the Cabot trail loop. Then down through Chetticamp. We probably won't hit Halifax til mid afternoon.

If you are game we could be as well.
  10. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just PM'd you a phone number I can be reached at. I'm starting to feel ill already...don't know if I can make it to work tomorrow...:wink:
  11. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for the pics. Best trip ever last year. :lurk
  12. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Joe,

Just PM'd you my cell. Truro sounds good. Timing is the only question. We will be on Ducati Multistradas - yellow and black.

Mike
  13. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, they made it past Windsor NS on route to the ferry. True pleasure meeting you two. Changing the rep of Yankees at every turn :lol3

Think we need to chance the 2touringtheworld handle to "rainmakers"...by the way Mike and Kim...it's sunny here today :rofl
  15. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Well we made it back to New Hampshire. No hiccups with the ferry and the weather was great. To celebrate Kim and I drank a bottle of wine and we are in no condition to post pics. :freaky However, I will get them up tomorrow as originally promised.

Joe, thanks for hooking up with us! We had a great time. We got into Yarmouth around 10 last night to drying roads after lots more rain and fog. Please, if you ever get by our way, drop by.

BTW, it was nice in NH and ME today so our rain making apparently only works in Canada. Well, now we know what to do for that retirement job... head out to Canada and sell rain!!!

Till Sunday
  16. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 If it's any consolation Mike, I seem to have the same effect South of the border...at least so my buddy in CA claims...figures I could make a bundle there ending drought :D

Glad to hear you got home safe and sound. Next time your up hopefully I'll have a home again and can offer a place to dry out.
  17. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Well, finally the pics. Like we said, lots of grey skies, but with 12 of 14 days with rain we couldn't do better. :bluduh Hope you enjoy these.

Here we're on the Cat in Portland, ME. It's not looking so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Portland, ME harbor, not looking so good. Hope its not an omen.

[​IMG]
  19. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    We've arrived in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia its still raining but we are hopeful... Lots of rain and wind, check out the leaves and branches. After our good night's sleep and we should be all set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Ride2ADV

Oddometer:
    Here we are waiting for the Canso Causeway bridge to re-open in Canso, Nova Scotia. Beside the bridge, there is a mining operation and they are litterally digging the mountain away. They just throw the materials over the other side of the mountain and ship it out.

[​IMG]