Does size matter ?? car/vehicle awareness...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by allan11, Oct 31, 2018.

1. allan11

allan11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think everyone who rides a lot/long time is aware that a lot of car drivers have no idea when it comes to bike riders.. so does size/sound matter??

my first broken bone was when i was 17 or 18 on my brand new Kawasaki z1000j (1982) when i was on the city streets and a lady went through a stop sign on my right and i T boned into the side of her car and went over the roof (superman style)..

i don't ride / commute on my klr just to and from the dirt roads but now i have a Boulevard 800 cruiser it is good to get out on the streets/up to the shops/bit of a cruise..

so the question is who has found that being on a bigger/louder bike (rather than a smaller girls bike like a 250 or 400) helps other drives be aware of your position??

when i had my HD everyone stayed away Ha ha..

my old harley davidson.jpg
  2. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Size does not matter. I base that on the number of people that pull out in front of me when driving my land cruiser.

As for noise? Yeah, a Harley may be loud enough!
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Try driving a truck to discover people pulling out in front of you. Herd thinking seems to be that they cannot possibly be stuck behind a truck so will endanger themselves and you with some stupid manoveur then compound it by totally failing to be able to drive anywhere near the speed limit or even maintain a speed consistently.

Yep, size does not matter.

But, nice try trying to find an excuse to justify another toy.
    a2zworks and nk14zp like this.
  4. ajvjr54

ajvjr54 Rider

Oddometer:
    Intersections or really anywhere that cars can blindside me keeps my Rider Senses on high. After over 200,000 HD miles, all with after market exhaust, I am on the 'loud pipes saves lives' side of the arguement. I've started to explore alternative exhaust systems for my '16 1290 SA.

If the ceramic coated Arrow headers really do noticeably reduce engine heat .. I'll likely purchase a set with Yoshimura slip ons; and richening up the fuel a bit at the same time. I don't imagine this will ever compare to the sweet, or to some obnoxious, roar of HDs but I love the sound of motorcycle accelerating with after market exhaust systems.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    allan11 likes this.
  5. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    After riding everything from Monkey bikes to Boss Hoss V8 bikes, I have found color has a lot to do with it. My White Triumph Explorer XCA was the bike that was noticed a lot more than any other bike I have ridden.

This is backed up by a NRMA survey that respondents stated that a Police motorcycle was the most noticeable threat they spotted on the road, followed by Highway Patrol car, then semi trailers.

Normal motorcycles and Pedestrians came in last.
  6. dirty dennis

dirty dennis are we there yet

Oddometer:
    White BMW's represent a threat to your financial well being, HD's to your physical well being. Both get noticed & avoided!
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I have had very few idiots pull out on my white GS. I also wear a white or bright yellow helmet.
  8. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    Yes, size colour noise, it all helps but how much each gives is another question. Much like the blind/numb/distracted drivers in other vehicles, if you're not paying the deserved attention when driving, then it doesn't matter what you have/do.
    allan11 likes this.
  9. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started driving a car regularly last month for the first time in years.

My comprehensive 6 week study anecdotally indicates that people are fucked and it has nothing to do with it being a bike or a car.
    DynaMax, speedwobble2, sieg and 2 others like this.
  10. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    I find my white open face helmet is sufficient no matter which of my bikes I am riding.

Nowadays, most drivers expect to see covert law enforcement vehicles, so it is the classic (not modern full face) police style helmet that they are looking for.

Back in the early '70s I purchased an ex Vic police 750/4. Riding it home from Mayfairs (for those who remember them) on the cnr. of Elizabeth St and Little Lonsdale, down the Tulla Fwy, was probably the slowest ride I have ever had in my life. EVERY vehicle in front of me slowed down and when I tooted them to speed up they all pulled over expecting me to book them.:lol3
    Kiwirich and XRman like this.
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep a white bike with a rider who looks like a cop will see drivers dropping their speed and mobile phones.
    DynaMax likes this.
  12. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride a bloody sidecar.....you can’t get much bigger, it has a 12 inch lightbar, 2 spotlights and the headlight. Cars still pull out.

Drive a road train everyday and cars still pull out

As the girls say, size doesn’t matter.
  13. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    We just came back from 4 weeks driving in Europe, trucks are limited to 90km/h but cars drive at well above the speed limit and that is everybody. Also when cars overtake they get out of the way quickly and traffic flows quickly, everybody moves right because there is always someone going faster than them.
    Drivers also move to let bikes pass, what does it take really.

I have always found it that here people always driving below the speed limit and it's very frustrating to be constantly stuck behind someone driving 10km/h below the limit and or in the wrong lane.
    Nothing worse than someone doing 99 and another overtaking doing the limit at 100 because they don't want to exceed the speed limit, in the process blocking both lanes and holding flow.

There is also zero tolerance to drink driving over there which I think that it's better than here, you will always get the fucker here that thinks that didn't drink that much and end up getting behind the wheel with a few too many.

Anyone here knows the death toll is in Europe compared to here?
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Uncle Crumpet likes this.
  15. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
  16. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Yes....Baron Von Grumble...naughty boy....
  17. a2zworks

a2zworks Así es la vida

Oddometer:
    Yes that was him, whats his new one 44 something?
  18. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    44 teeth...started by him and his mate...
    a2zworks likes this.
  19. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah size matters. Most folks who don't ride, their brain isn't used to motorcycles so when they look for traffic before pulling out or turning across a lane they don't really LOOK but rather just do a quick glance. Their eyes do see an object/something coming but since the brain isn't trained about bikes the brain translates the questionable object as "small" so it means it's a normal expected car but far away, no worries, go for it. WHAM! The scenario mentioned where people are pulling out in front of huge semi is different. That has nothing to do with eye/brain perception...that's just plain stupidity.
    numbat and a2zworks like this.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    We all do subconscious risk assessments constantly. Typically in a cage the highest level of consciousness thinking about the phone, home, work, shopping, partner etc. Cage drivers look but only register threats if the sub conscious identifies one and raises it up to a higher level for action. Bikes don't normally represent a threat, hence the "I didn't see him, so he must have been speeding" excuse.
    numbat likes this.