Does solo = lonely?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Speeder54, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MrLugnuts

MrLugnuts StrangrInaStrangLand

Oddometer:
    PS I think the best piece of kit that you could bring is a basic understanding of the Spanish language. Don't have to be fluent but if you're solo, it will make a BIG difference to be able to communicate with locals. Take a class or two before you leave if possible.
  2. Speeder54

Speeder54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great advice. I'm currently working with a CD (however somewhat undisciplined) and I'm looking at taking a class possibly next spring.
  3. MrLugnuts

MrLugnuts StrangrInaStrangLand

Oddometer:
    Cds are good but at the beginning, structure is important and you get that from a class. You'll learn tons more on the trip. I don't have a talent for languages but I noticed that there was a tipping point and it just started to flow. Stick with it, there's definately a learning curve...
  4. DougFromKentucky

DougFromKentucky Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer:
  5. misteroldschool

misteroldschool pain monster

Oddometer:
    depends on the person, ive been on solo trips and got pretty lonely so i do prefer riding with someone but i do know riders that prefer to ride alone on trips
  6. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just back from a two week, 4000 mile solo trip. This was my second solo trip and it confirmed everything the first trip introduced me to -- solo is the way to go on a long trip. People find the solo bike traveler approachable and lots of folks are always waving one over for a cup of coffee in the morning or a drink at night.

Actually met a new buddy on the road as well from a land far away. That would not have happened I suspect riding with the usual suspects.

Once he finishes his run to the tip of South America, I'm going to have to visit him in Frankfurt, Germany and let a local show me around. Now, traveling in a pack, I might have met him, one does not ignore an African Twin parked next to your bike here, but a pack probably would have only exchanged pleasantries in the parking lot and departed ways. A solo traveler meeting a group can still remain somewhat distant, but solo travelers meeting tend to be more open.

Anyhow, annual solo trip of fair duration is a "must-do" in my book now.
  7. raddad

raddad Raddad

Oddometer:
    I have travelled quite a bit by myself and just purchased a new DS bike with the intention of riding to Costa Rica from Scottsdale AZ. Bike arrives this Friday.

Here is my plan and suggestion. Most of the points brought up in this thread are fantastic. I plan on learning much more from you in the next month or so.

1) I plan on travelling with someone - since its foreign territory
    2) Be very clear that you are not married to your riding buddy and should you disagree with decisions on the trip, split up for a few days then meet up again
    3) Recruit one of your buddies to buy a bike - one from College or whatever - that you have history with. It will make another story in your friendship
    4) Always invite solo travellors to ride with you - especially if they are smokin hot blondes
    5) Always extend and accept invitations to/from others

Now on to other forums to figure out what equipment to buy that really works...

Cheers
  8. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I pretty much travel solo all the time and love it. As has been said so much already, people are far more interested in talking and befriending someone who is solo, and being able to stay, go or do as you please is priceless IMO.

Having said that there are times when having a riding partner would be good when exploring remote areas alone and the possibility of injury exists. There are also times when you get to witness some fantastic sight and wish someone else could see it.

I'm planning on a ride to South America, and will most likely go solo due to the reality that the chance of finding someone else to travel with on the same dates and itinerary is very slim.
  9. snohobo

snohobo Supermoto hippy

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to do SA solo on my supermoto and really excited about it. There's been some great advice that ill follow here.

I've always enjoyed solo cage trips and figures that won't change on a bike.

That being said I'm flexible and open to meeting partners along the way.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
  10. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a couple of people I do weekend/overnight rides with but I've known them a long time.

Next month I have 10 days off for a much needed vacation, I'm going alone (and looking foward to it), maybe selfish, but like it's been said you do what you want, when you want.
  11. CaliKarl

CaliKarl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're lucky if you have the option. I have friends that ride motorcycles, but exclusively around town to show off. I get lonely as shit riding by myself. Just got back from a 2 week trip out West (5260 mi). Went out to Tuweep, AZ by myself as well. It's fun, if a bit scary. I have a deficient immune system as well, which means a mere cold often puts me in the hospital. So, this worries me as well. But as I'm somewhat new to 'adventure riding', likely I'll get more relaxed and comfortable over time. I dropped the bike and got sick on Cumberland Pass, CO. Things like that make me wish someone else is nearby sometimes. But yeah - with experience, loneliness dissipates.
  12. Speeder54

Speeder54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been living in Montana for the last 4 years and recently moved back to lakeside/Kalispell area. Montana is an incredibly beautiful place, free of super highway congestion, but after lived here for a while one forgets to really take in such amazing landscapes. I have friends currently visiting from Los Angles and Australia and so I've been playing tour guide. Traveling around with friends makes this place seem so much more beautiful. Everything has come alive again in my perception. We were driving to Foys Lake to spend a few hours soaking in the sun and I thought how much more of an experience I was having being with others - sharing the view. I think I can appreciate more when I have someone to share it with.

I'm convinced that I'll meet other adventurers on my travels, as many here have testified, to share the experience of long distance moto travel. I have to trust that I will meet other solo riders on the road that will want to share sections of travel.

Just some more of my thoughts regarding this issue...
  13. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    5 days and counting till I'm off for 2 weeks solo to UT, CA, OR, WA, ID and home..:clap

I've done short trips and longer (week) trips with friends and to honest - they're happy I ride solo too..:lol3. Actually overnighters or weekend trips aren't so bad, but I'm ready to embark on about my 7th? 1 week+ trip and I love traveling solo. I go where I want, when I want, and I still meet plenty of folks along the way. Like others, some have become regular penpals - if not friends. I love the solitude, peace, ability to unwind, & the choice to go social when I need to.

It's especially harder, when you and your buddy/friend travel on different type moto's - like a pure street bike and dual sport - much more planning/splitting...etc.

Ok, now 4 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes....
  14. Badger Boy

Badger Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading this thread, glad I took the time to talk to a OR rider who was traveling solo in SW CO. He seemed lonely at a road construction stop so I just struck up a conversation and he seemed glad to talk.
  15. GrumpyTrails

GrumpyTrails Confused

Oddometer:
    At this point, there isn't much to add, but I guess I'll try anyway.

My ADV handle probably tells you all you need to know about my riding style.

I prefer to travel with my dog, who puts up with my crap better than just about any person ever would. He is an excellent listener, so this probably does not count as traveling solo. I also tend to visit friends while on the road, so I'm never on my own for more than a couple of days.

Of course the phrase "on my own" has several meanings. I have spent what amounts to years of my life alone in the wild for weeks at a time, but never felt lonely. I have been far lonelier in a crowded room full of strangers.

There are many things that you can do to alleviate the real concerns that any reasonable person would have about traveling solo. For starters, take the time to know your bike inside and out, and work your way through some of the more common roadside repairs that you may have to do. The same goes for all of your camping and riding gear.

Also, learn how to repair the most important piece of gear you have: yourself! Take something like the Wilderness First Aid course that the NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute offers:
    http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

Take time to practice all of these things before you go.

Being prepared and taking steps to minimize risk does not preclude adventure or make the trip any less exciting. Stuff will still happen - just hopefully less of the stupid stuff. I suppose my motto might be "better safe than sorry."

Hope this helps.

happy trails
    gt
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:

Think that is the best answere so far.
    If you are a loner you won't have a problem traveling riding alone.
    with a buddy you always have to think about the two of you and can't go streight ahead or jump a step on your planning.

But the voice inside your head will become your best friend sooner or later :lol3 Wilson are you there?
  17. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Packs well.
  18. AlpineGuerrilla

AlpineGuerrilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I guess you don't need a sock when you're camping with your male buddies? :evil
  19. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  20. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually do both. And both have their advantages.
    I set out alone, but make arrangements to meet with certain preselected people along the way. That way I get both, solo riding, and some riding, usually with locals.
    Or meet someone along the way (plan in advance).
    In terms of meeting people on the way, I don't think it matters. When I am with a group, I try to bring others into the group when I see others around. I mean, even if I am with one or more people, I can still start a conversation with someone not in the group.
    Or ask them to join us on the ride.
    But the solo thing, I really enjoy my own company, I always have plenty to say, to talk about, and the arguments are fewer and further between.
    And I can decide if I want to vary the course, or stick to the plan. Or whatever. Freedom.
    dc