Does the traction control make the bike pull out from a start slower?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by JohnRansom, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the title. I noticed suddenly the other day that in Rally mode, with Rally throttle, and a slip of 8, it seems like getting started is quite slow. Once going the bike rips, but perhaps the TC is trying to stop me from slipping out at start?
  2. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the TC light be blinking if it were intervening?

TC
  3. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    This is true. Maybe its a me thing. I can start the bike fine, it just seems to be a little slow to pull away. Then again, after I moved I had to wait over a year before I got this bike, so maybe I have just forgotten what its like...
  4. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be like in my 19 f350 it controls the massive amount of power differently than my 11 that have the same motor. Actually the 19 is more like the 11 with the programmer and deletes. Anyway the way the power is delivered is much differant much tamer. My 11 would spin the tires at drop of the hat but not the 19. Anyway maybe it has something to do with the ecu controlling the way the power is delivered.
  5. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about being on a dirt road, standing still, and pulling away with a handfull of throttle, yes of course it will slow you down. The TC light will flash like crazy.

Even on a public road, my 790 lights up the TC until 3rd gear. It cuts power, so you can feel it aint moving like its suppose to.

The ECU wont give, lets say only 60% power, because you are starting to move..
    It will ONLY cut power if the TC light comes on. And that you must control with your wrist :-)

You are suppose to have 100% power all the time.
  6. TimC63

Oddometer:
    Could also be what you were accustomed to, the 790 is geared a lot different (lower numerically) than most dirt bikes. 16/45 sprockets if I recall? You feel that in 1st gear...
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I think you mean to say that bike is geared taller?
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might be wrong but, the TC light is simply slave to the ECU program (TC) setting... With TC set high (7-9), grab a handful of throttle on a loose gravel / dirt surface and the ECU will cut power (drive) when it senses crazy wheel speed differential between the rear and front wheel speeds.
    Yes indeed, slow(er) to take off...

The TC flashing madly just draws your attention so that when it does permit hook up, you look up, just as yer heading off into the sticks! :nod
    DAMHIK.

The TC will not give you 100% ‘power’ unless set to (maybe nearly off) 1 in Rally Mode...

Is 1 off - 100%?
  9. Bamboo Baby

Bamboo Baby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the TC light flashes, it means it is busy cutting power to the rear wheel. It starts to flash when it activates.
    If you dont see it flash, it means you have 100% power to the rear wheel.
  10. TimC63

Oddometer:
    I believe you are absolutely correct!
    TC
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    0 = off. But a key cycle later, and it will no longer be at 0 TC.
  12. TimC63

Oddometer:
    Hey BobcatSig,

I think you mean to say my verbiage is incorrect or are you affirming what I said?

I really did mean lower numerically. Perhaps I could have said the GEAR RATIO is lower numerically. The average D/S GEAR RATIO runs something close to a 15t front and 45t rear sprockets, a 3:1 ratio. Dirt bikes even higher numerically, like 14t/52t or 3.7:1.
    The 790R is lower numerically about 2.8:1, less gear reduction, more top speed, slower acceleration - comparatively. Anyway, my point was simple and yes, taller works!

Peace!
    TC
  13. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it just be the throttle map? I think the default in rally mode is the offroad map which is a good bit less aggressive than the street map. I normally run the street map while in rally mode myself.
  14. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t even need to cycle the key. Hitting the start button after a stall resets it even if the key stayed in the on position. I’ve never hit the starter button while the engine was running (duh), but I bet that would reset the MTC and grind the starter gear as a bonus.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't such a master of brevity I'd have included that, and the several other conditions, under which TC0 is expunged. :lol2
    kubcat likes this.
  16. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Could be. That's a rather fine point you put on it.

When I think 'geared taller,' I think bikes with a bigger than necessary countershaft sprocket and a smaller than necessary reach chain wheel. All of which means that the rider really needs to wrap out the throttle or that the rider can't use the higher gears because the gearing is too tall. Hence, tall gearing.

So... maybe? :D
  17. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    If the 790 electric throttle is tuned the same as a 1290 it won't open the throttle 100% until hit 4000 RPM
  18. TimC63

Oddometer:
    YES! Ultimately, with the 790R, you want to Gear UP (put on your riding gear and go!)

That was pretty bad, sorry...
    TC
    BobcatSig likes this.
  19. octagonpilot

octagonpilot _________________

Oddometer:
    To the OP,
    How much free play does your clutch have?
  20. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    It has the 5mm its supposed to.