1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Doesn't anyone share tents?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dcwn.45, Jan 19, 2008.

1. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Frozen Rider

Oddometer:
    I see tons of ride reports and camping pics and it seems that most of you use separate tents , even for small groups. Why is that? It seems to me a good way to conserve space and weight on the bike is to use 1 larger tent and split the poles from the tent. I guess if you are starting solo and meeting up with someone you would need separate tents, but if you are together the whole way it doesn't seem to make sense. Am I missing something?
  2. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I like all of my riding mates but I'm not sharing a tent with them for 2 -3 weeks:lol3 . I also don't think you would save that much space.
    That's just me.

When I backpack that's a different story. Weight & space are more important.
  3. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    :ymca
  4. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Frozen Rider

Oddometer:
    Ok I knew that was coming, but c'mon, I see lots of people taking trips with their father/son , brother , etc.

It just seems homophobic or something.
  5. dragoon

Oddometer:
    Well now you didn't say that, I guess that would be different. It's nice to have your own space though.
  6. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    I can think of several reasons people don't. 1 is snorring!:lol3 2 smells 3 some people wake up at wierd hours 4 having a big enough tent.
    That being said my two friends I traveled out west with shared a tent (2 man) the first night. I wondered who got the top bunk it was so small.:lol2 Later in Sturgis when I got better at putting my tent (3 man) up in the dark one of them roomed with me instead of sleeping on top of eachother. It worked out fine and I am sure he appreciated the space. I guess if you knew the person well enough and their sleeping habits then sharing is a good way to travel.:thumb But even in Long way round they had seperate tents.:dunno
  7. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    Here are the reasons I don't share with guys.

"I don't sleep with guys"

When my better half comes along on the shorter trips of course we share the tent. We uasually travel 2 up anyway so makes sense to have one tent. My riding buddies have their own bikes and tents.
    A few years ago 3 of us had to share a 3 man in Mexico and it worked out fine but, I just prefer my own space.
  8. onebaduce

onebaduce .

Oddometer:
    after 6 weeks solo last year to Alaska, My Sidi's got so ripe I didn't even want to smell myself let alone soneone else!! Privacy is a big thing as well, it's nice to say goodnight and not see anyone til the morning. Last sleeping in a tent with another guy is gay! :lol3
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    There are certain things I like to do every night before I go to sleep and before I get up in the morning :wink:
  10. Milspec

Milspec ArmyGuy

Oddometer:
    I had enough "tent sharing" in the Army to last a lifetime... :huh

Anybody need a used shelter half? :D

Milspec
  11. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    I like my space... nuff said.
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It's not a contest.
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys don't share tents for the same reason they won't share a bed at a hotel. Call it whatever you like.

- Mark
  14. hoyks

hoyks Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer:
    I carry my own everything and try, for the most part, to be self-sufficient.

That way if stuff happens and you have to seperate for some reason, you can continue on your way and don't have to rat through everything on both the bikes to get the gear to carry on.

I'm tall and need some room to change in a tent if the weather is lousy without elbowing someone in the ear. I also like to be able to spread my gear out if need be.

I've shared a tent with a bloke, hell I have shared the one blanket and had to spoon to keep warm, I just prefer not to if I don't have to.
  15. dragoon

Oddometer:
    That more info than we really need:lol3
  16. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    After the camp meals we cook, you wouldn't want to share a tent with anyone. We even have to keep our tents spaced out as far as possible. :lol3
  17. crosscountry

crosscountry Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer:

man, when was the last time I shared a tent? with my ex who later sold all my camping gear.

Now I'm without. Time to stock up again. But that took me years to buy.
  18. DeeG

DeeG Huh?

Oddometer:
    Last time we went to Vashon (VME gig), friend of ours had brought this massive six room tent that he hauled in a trailer behind his RoadStar.

First and last time I ever share a tent (with someone other than the spouse). I couldn't fart at all, and had to stay awake half the night to keep the spouses' snores to a minimum.
  19. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    It didn't work out for Ewen and Charlie either.
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I go riding/camping with my brothers sometimes and don't even consider a single tent, for the reasons mentioned already. It's really good to have a little privacy.

My stepsons use one tent when they go on motorcycle trips...I don't know how they do it, or maybe it's their French-Canadian/American heritage...they're a little "different."

:D