1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Doesn't anyone share tents?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dcwn.45, Jan 19, 2008.

1. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    This thread is starting to get icky
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    tent technology has gotten them so small, light & inexpensive. when i travel in groups of guys i carry a small, light 2 person tent. it gives me room to sleep on one side and store my stuff inside (nice & dry & warm) on the other. i deal with only my smell & stuff and like it that way.

when i travel with my wife, we use a 3 man tent. space for each of us plus room for gear inside.

on the other hand i backpack with my bro and we share as much as possible.

you're best answer is alot of men are homophobic in this world.
  3. DNL

DNL Life is an Adventure!!

Oddometer:

yep you sure are missing something....men don't share tents with men. ...I like riding bikes with my mates, I enjoy sitting around a camp fire and drinking beer and telling a ripping yarn of past glories.....but it stops there....no two-ups in a tent.....plus I saw that cowboy movie about what happens on the prairie.....that shit was just not cool! Thanks god we don't have prairies in Australia.....and a basic rule of no tent sharing!
    Besides all that---- I do not want to risk ending up with an :asshat
  4. DNL

DNL Life is an Adventure!!

Oddometer:
    I'd just like to add - I couldn't bring myself to watch that cowboy movie!!!!
  5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    +1

Independence is the best way to the group happy.

“Meet you in a couple of days” has been said more than once and for many different reasons. Be prepared to be on your own.

I avoid using support vehicles after waiting 18 hours for my tent and cooler.
  6. Oldwin1

Oldwin1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I share a tent with one friend I ride with because the only time he camps is when we ride together. No broke back riding though. Everyone else I ride with except for my wife snores like a sawmill. Some campsites are not big enough to get far enough away from them. I can't imagine sleeping in the same tent. Most larger tents have to long of poles to pack reasonably on a bike. I spent a lot of time looking for on just for this reason. I won't spend over $100 for a tent to pack on my bike.
  7. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    If 2 people of the same sex need to share a tent, they should be women!!!!
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I graduated up to the Nalgene 96 oz bladder a couple years ago. It's good for 3 nites. Can't imagine getting out of the bag, tent , putting on shoes & walking a short or long distance to pee then back in & trying to get back to sleep. :dunno
  9. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you're sleeping in the back country and use separate tents you lessen the likelihood of both or more people getting eaten by a prowling bear at night.

also, i just simply like having my own space and gladly put the extra 4 pounds of tent on my bike.
  10. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds OK" as long as I can be in the MIDDLE:evil
  11. wunlung

wunlung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding buddy snores like a chainsaw:snore
  12. tn-steve

tn-steve Addicted

Oddometer:
    Put me in the "I enjoy my privacy, and sleep in my own tent" category.
  13. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid, we had a big 8-man canavas rig from Sears and would easily sleep 5 of us and a dog. I would share in something like that, but it weighed 60 pounds and you could stand up in it. The Kelty Streamside 2 person my wife and I have used for the past 10 years is fine, if tight, for us, but a bit tight for me and another dude.

When i was 14, my mother and I camped all over the Great Smoky Mountains in a couple of those cheap triangle-shaped, two-pole tents we got at K-Mart. After a snowy/rainy night on Balsm Mountain that nearly killed us, we shared for the rest of the trip.
  14. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    These guys would love to share their tent with you!

[​IMG]
  15. CPOPE

CPOPE Not 2 old 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Didn't read each response of this thread, but about 10 years ago I ask the same questions when 7 of us headed up north. They all said own bring your own tent. :deal I had a small 2 man tent that my buddy and had shared on a 2 week trip theu the Smokies in the 70's. But now we are older. On this trip when we settled down for the night everybody set up a longs ways from Tom, That night I understood why. Tom not only snored so loud, he shook everybodys tent with in 100 yards. No I am not BS'Ing. Never have I heard such a noise. Now the wife and I still share the same 2 man tent Ron and I shared 30+ years ago, (I still use that same tent) but now I understand WHY men don't want to share tents. Well snooring is one of the reasons, the other we can't discuss on this board. :rofl
  16. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Most obvious reason for not sharing a tent.

Morning wood makes for interesting conversation upon exiting sleeping bag...

Is that a police mag light in your boxers or are you just happy to see me?

[​IMG]

Ron
  17. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike tent is barely large enough to share with a girlfriend, and doesn't have much room for me & my gear.

My "large" tent would still be crowded for two full size guys, and it's over twice as large when packed anyway. For me, there just isn't any size/weight advantage. Besides, everybody I know has their own gear.
  18. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    Not messy at all. If I'm bike camping I deliberately buy a wide mouth Gatorade type bottle sometimes that day. Drink the contents and store the bottle for a tent urinal. Unzip the mummy bag, pull it down to your thigh, wipe it out, fill the bottle, and cap the bottle. Reverse steps 1-3 and return to a restful sleep.

Beats the hell outa getting all the way out of the tent on a cold and maybe wet night.
  19. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    + a couple
  20. hosertp

hosertp Adnauseam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of the above.
    Sucks to have your nights rest ruined by someone sleeping much better than you
    Same reason one guy doesn't carry all of the cooking gear, another with the tent (shelter), one carrying all the tools and another carrying all the food.
    One nights separation from any of those items will be enough for you to adopt the self-sufficient theory.
    And how'd you like to wake to you buddy snoring while laying in his :puke1