Dog Repellent

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hk_rider, Jul 18, 2002.

1. hk_rider

hk_rider Urban Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my recently acquired bike is a new fixture on my street, so the neighborhood dogs have taken to marking it with their piss. they love to piss on my front wheel and on my bike cover, and their bastard owners are obviously doing nothing to stop them.

what i can do to ward off these damn mongrels? i know there is such a thing as doggie mace, but i think that's a bit extreme. does anyone know if there is some natural scent that dogs are repelled by?
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    What sort of bike is this? If it's a BMW GS,I don't blame them,.I would piss on it too!
  3. Ari

Ari Been there done that

Oddometer:

I think the KIWI eat dust from when i go by in my GSA and they tell me that they eat some SHIT to!!!Is that tue??
    GS riders have a better diet than roots and leaves.
  4. Ari

Ari Been there done that

Oddometer:
    SEE this are not roots and leaves!!!
  5. Ferg

Ferg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe dogs are repelled by citronella. I know they make anit bark collars that spray it if they bark. I would spray the cover with thay stuff and see what happens?
    Ferg
  6. mleir

mleir Evil Doer

Oddometer:
    Find out where the dog lives. Go piss on his house. This will keep the dog occupied remarking his territory and he wil leave your bke alone. Of course the down side to this is the neighbors will grow to hate you and hide their children from you (which could be good).
  7. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take two small 9 volt batteries.(one for each wheel). the small square ones work best .Strip two lenghts of wire ) +/- make sure that they do not touch each other.

Place each battery behind each wheel.(so that the owner does not see them) run the two wires.(from each battey through your wheels(remembering not to let them touch anything)..

Then step back and wait untill the dog takes a piss on your bike wheels..

I think that this will help stop the dog from pissing on your wheels..should not take more than once or twice untill the dog stops..If not go to a 12 volt ect..you get the point..

Good luck

Joc
  8. sinnyc

sinnyc Ride harder, not smarter

Oddometer:

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  9. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    as you know. Try dousing your cover with cheap perfume or cologne. I was visiting my folks this 4th of July weekend. I gave a bottle of perfume to my mother as a present, and she accidently spilled a small amount on the carpet. Well the dog (a Lab) stayed away from the area and was visible disturbed by the smell. He was sneezing and rubbing his nose. I have no clue how long the scent will last, but give it a try. Besides you'll have a nice smelling bike!
  10. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    :rofl :thumb hell, go for the 12 volt right from the start!!!
  11. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl This sounds like fun. I park my bike in a garage but may start parking outside and try this.... :rofl

Also you might try Dt. T's De-Fence which reputes to repel Dogs and Cats ....

[​IMG]
  12. jocflier

Oddometer:
    The fun part about the batteries, is that you get to see them dance..:rofl

Joc
  13. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    back when I worked in the gas station we used car batteries. Cold Cranking Amps anyone?

get moth ball flakes and scatter them around the bike. we use it to keep the mice out of the car's engione compartment.

Used to live in an unfenced yard and the local dogs would wreck the yard. I took to eating stuff that would make my piss fragrant (asparagus, brussels sprouts *blech*) and I would mark the perimeter of the yard. Pissing on shrubs, grass tufts, etc. I noticed a lot less dog nuisance. The idea is that they would mark the other side of the marking spots and acknoledge "that side yours, this side mine"

Now for the cats... low powered pellet rifle shot in the ass works.

Oh I forgot....ever seen "Cool Hand Luke"? ceyenne pepper.
  14. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    I don't get the battery thing. Unless you are standing on one terminal and pee on the other, how is it going to complete the circuit and cause a shock?

I vote for a pellet gun shot to the ass. If the dog is on a leash and the owner is there letting their dog do it, tell them the next shot will be THEIR ass.

You could also set a sprinkler under the bike and turn it on as the dog approaches. They'll soon associate your bike with getting wet, and give it a wide berth.

Problem with both the pellet gun & sprinkler is that both require you to sit around waiting for the dog to come by.
  15. BudLightyear

BudLightyear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid, had trouble with same problem with the family car. Under instruction from my dear ole dad(NIS special agent...kewl dood, etc....) Used a model-T spark coil. I hooked one output lead to the rim, the other to a bare wire on the driveway next to the tire. Takes 6 volts in and puts out 20,000(enough to make a spark in a model T plug.) Had a long wire pair from the battery/coil setup, and staked out the scene as I had nothing better to do. When the dog pissed on the wheel, connected the wires and gave him a little spark. Never had trouble again....
  16. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Cat..I see that you are from Texas..So this should not be a problem..go find youself someone that has horses and uses a elect. fence to keep the horses from chewing on the fence..

Next stand back and take a real long wiz at the fence..Make sure that you have someone there to take photos..:rofl

If that ideal is not to keen..Try this little collage trick..again, take a nine volt battery, two pieces of wire. lift the toilet seat up in your house.Place the battery under the lid and run the wires down to the water..close the lid to hold the battery in place and then take a wiz..

good luck and have a nice day...

Joc
  17. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    to bee more accurate....

one wire is on the bike, the other lays on the ground. the liquid completes the circuit. bzzt. dog yowls his best cat imitation.
  18. jocflier

Oddometer:
    Ok;

No one ever stuck a 9 volt battery on there tongue on a dare as a child..?Or even as we got older to test it..anyway..It's the liquid on your tongue that causes the curcuit to be complete..

As long as the dog takes a wiz on both wires at the same time..

I guess i should have said..run both wires as close together without them touching each other..

Joc
  19. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    OK. I had a double cheeseburger today, so I'm feeling a bit lethargic and my brain is working slow.....

Chopper's description I understand.... one terminal wire to the bike, the other on the ground for the dog to stand on (if you're lucky), then the pee stream from dog to bike completes circuit and ZAP!:eek:

And I've been warned about whizzing on electric fences. But those work because they are grounded, well... to the ground. So anything touching the ground then the fence (hand, horse, pee stream, whatever) completes the circuit, and again....ZAP!:eyes

But with the 9V battery with both wires hanging in the toilet water, I'm outside the circuit. The electricity would flow between the two wires, and I could happily pee all day and feel nothing but relief.

Likewise with the battery on the bike. Unless you have one wire attached to the bike, and the other attached to a rug woven out of steel wool or something else conductive for me to stand on while I pee on the bike, I would be outside the circuit and not get zinged.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding something. I've got a 9V battery at home. I'll go experiment and pee on it tonight and let you know the results in the morning.
  20. jocflier

Oddometer:

You don't have a hair one...if you don't do this..

Joc :rofl :rofl :rofl