Doin' the Unthinkable!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MooreRon, May 11, 2004.

1. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    I never dreamed I'd be writting this, but here it goes...

I have often said the Honda VFR800 is probably one of the best bikes ever made! With that being said, I rode the VFR for the first time today after buying the KTM 950 about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't find the passion I felt for it before buying the KTM :rabia. I pulled the VFR in the garage and hoped on the KTM to see what I was missing and that's when I realized I would rather be on the KTM for a trip across town or a trip across the country. The VFR will now go up for sale.

You guys have REALLY screwed me up!!! :dunno

BTW, no "I told you so's!" are needed! :lol3
  2. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    :rofl

-MM
  3. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    I was once a VRF-Man...I've owned 2, a 1991 and a 1997 (My favourite model year).

Nothing is more fun than a 950! :thumb :thumb :thumb
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    I consider my heavily modified VFR 800 to be the best bike I have owned, prior to discovering KTM machines. If I lived somewhere in Europe, where speed limits are relatively high, and/or ignored, I still might want a modified VFR over the 950, though I doubt it. But Honda should be shot for putting such a mediocre suspension on an otherwise great bike. I really wanted a fully adjustable suspension at the time I bought the VFR, post VFR I cannot ever see buying a bike that is not so equiped from day one. My gripe with the VFR and many other Japanese bikes is the amount of fiddling, and associated expense that is involved in getting the bikes sorted to a level that the KTMs reach straight out of the box. I will miss the V-Four singing through the Full TBR exhaust at speed.

Now, if I could just figure out how to trade the VFR straight across for a 950S or a Duke 990!
  5. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    It only gets better. You make a few alterations (exhaust,16 tooth counter,tighten up the suspension,ect) get used to her by putting more miles on her, and it becomes even more fun. It is like going out to your garage thinking you are just gonna go for a ride and getting on this orange thing or whatever color and taking off on it and - instantly - from firing it up, to riding around town, to straffing corners in the nearest canyon, to dirting it on your favorite non-paved lane - being injected with this new found passion for what is in my opinion the most fun and satisfying two wheeled (or four) grin factor I have ever experienced in my 30+ years of riding. I get off it and say "Now this is what a motorcycle should be about" What a hoot! And I thought I was just going for a ride! :thumb
  6. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW - Our local BMW dealer had an open house Saturday and I rode the 950 Adv. over there. He wanted to ride it real bad so I let him. He came back with a big grin on his face and said I just cost him 12 grand. He is a real bike nut and absolutely loved it.
  7. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    Well for what it's worth, I've got a VFR VTEC as well as a 950S, and they are both brilliant. Over a 5 hour ride I find that the KTM is more comfortable than the Honda, which has got a worse seat and less footrest to seat clearance.
  8. MooreRon

MooreRon Banned

Oddometer:
    You can fix the comfort issue on the VFR with a Sargent seat. Best seat I've ever owned!!!
  9. Singletrack

Singletrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting how many people here are (were) VFR owners too!

I traded my 02 VFR and a YZF600 (plus a whack-o-cash) for the 950.

I loved the VFR, but it was only really at home above 160Kph on Northern Backroads. It never felt 'right' for my day-to-day commuting.

The only place I won't take the 950 is to a track day. The VFR was fun at Mosport, but then I was wishing for a proper track prepared bike.

Lovin the 950.
    :freaky
  10. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm conflicted too :confused -I've got a yellow 2000 VFR with full TBR, power commander, Givis, yadda yadda. I'm supposed to sell either the Ducati Superlight (worth lot's more) or the VFR, but can't get off the pot. The VFR has been my trusted friend for 26,000 miles, sounds incredible, never needs any attention, but is now gathering dust in the garage since I got the 950. Sigh....
  11. BlownCJ

BlownCJ dangerous rider ?

Oddometer:
    say that on the side of a hill in deep rock and dark brown dirt when your azz stalls the bike :huh or get her stuck 4 times in 2 hours and have to unstuck her :eek1

i love both my ktms ...... both serve their purpose but i really want to have this :evil
    [​IMG]

than id never get any work done its a shame that the pd has outlawed the 950 now i really dont have have a flying fook at a rolling doughnut chance in getting the elkamet tanks and 2 into 1 exhaust :cry

Barry
  12. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Hey -- were you spying on us at last weekend's ride in the Laurentians??? :huh You describe it perfectly...

OK the 950 is no mud machine, but I would have hated to take my VFR in there even more!!! :eek1 :eek1 The 950 is DEFINITELY better in that regard!
  13. BlownCJ

BlownCJ dangerous rider ?

Oddometer:
    no flanny i just think between you and me we arent afraid to scratch our beloved 950 's with a little bit o action :evil

Barry
  14. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    I got a VFR to go next to the GS 4 years ago - result? less than 6K in four years of ownership.

I'm thinking of selling and if I need another bike, getting a 1000 V-Strom.

I love the motor and the power but the poor bike, even with helibars just feels too small - and I'm actually faster on the GS.