Doing a fly and ride. Need help with the way out.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by xit109, Jun 19, 2019.

1. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m visiting a friend in Chandler and might buy a bike while i’m In town. Going to head back to NC next week. Any roads/rides anyone can recommend on the way out that would be suggested? anything that is a “don’t miss it while you are here” kind of ride? I don’t have my full set up so I’ll be traveling pretty light.

Any help?
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    US 191 between Alpine and Morenci is an excellent road for motorcycles!
    xit109 likes this.
  5. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    How long are you here for?
  6. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Until the 30th. Hoping to pick the bike up in the next couple of days.
  7. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I'm always out and about.

Could show you some local stuff if things work out. Tomorrow we have a ride for the Florence area. No wimps allowed though. Only minimal whining from heat. :)

That 288 is a nice ride out of the valley if the current Woodbury fire hasn't completely engulfed it. The 191, IMO is one of those must-do roads in AZ.

The Florence-Kelvin highway is also a good way to leave town.
  8. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this looks like a great road to try on the way.

I was starting to think the fire might dictate the best way for me to get out of town. Appreciate you mentioning it. And thanks so much for the invite! Really pretty cool. Have to say I’d love to meet you. You are one of the few on here that looms larger than life. No way I can make it happen though. I’m helping take care of a friend until i leave.

I like the Florence -Kelvin route. Takes me towards 191 which looks like a must do. Be a good way out of town.

This was all seat of the pants and last minute decision. Happy the bike worked out but now i need to deal with all the follow up stuff. I need my wife to send me some stuff and I’m going to buy a couple things for the trip. Still fun and exciting. Good thing fo Rome is I will definitely be back. Maybe take a rain check for a ride....
    cyberdos likes this.
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    :beer
    You haven't mentioned what bike you're getting but if it's a dualsport I would also suggest a lesser known little road south of Morenci.

Old Safford/Black Hills

Most people skip it because they are eager to ride the 191 but it's a fantastic dualsport road.

And if you like that, after getting your fill of twisties on the 191 you can cut across the forest into New Mexico. It's really nice up there and more importantly it will be a respite form the heat..

Hit me up next time you're in town.
  10. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Appreciate the additional info. Purchased a barely used Honda Africa Twin.

Next time I’m in town Ill hit you up and I’m buyin... :freaky
    cyberdos likes this.
  11. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Not sure which route you're taking back to NC...but if you find yourself going thru/near Silver City, NM, Route 152 east to Truth or Consequences is excellent, with a possible loop up to the Gila ruins. T or C also has a great brewery, and hotels with hot springs...just sayin'

Have a good trip.
  12. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I’m not set on my route just yet. I was trying to do a little planning earlier. It all comes down to when I leave and when I have to be back. I’m hoping for a little time to wander. I don’t want to sprint but I’m keeping an eye on wether too. If I don’t make it this time I will be back! Thanks for the recommendation. A hot spring in a hotel sounds good after a day on the bike.
  13. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wandering is good...take a look at this

https://goo.gl/maps/Ns4SkUfTSbdAzfj26

Rt 76 goes over Mule Creek, 152 over Emory Pass, and this shows the loop to the Gila Ruins. The Blackstone Hot Springs has giant tubs in each room with the hot springs piped right in, and is across the street from the brewery...fun ride, and fun end of ride...

https://www.blackstonehotsprings.com

https://www.torc.beer

IMG_20180602_055337706.jpg IMG_20180602_064537777.jpg G0026291.JPG
  14. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Now I’m just doing my best Homer Simpson impression drooling over a ride, relax, drink, eat day.
    kickstandsup likes this.
  15. xit109

xit109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course I ran a little short of time. I want to try and miss some of the July 4 traffic. I was able to hit 191 today. Crazy fun road. Lots of rain on some desolate roads but all in great fun.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    cyberdos likes this.