Donnie and Modesta 2018 - Mexico, Central America and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Dec 24, 2017.

1. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard from Donnie's daughter Tracy today. She said Modesta's remains made it back to Iguala yesterday, and they had the visitation and burial today.
    EmmEff, TDC_ERock, ONandOFF and 6 others like this.
  2. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Very sad... Me being behind on following my vicarious guilty pleasure of Donnie and Mode's riding adventures... And finding out they both have passed on into the glorious heavens of adventure rides.

They lived the lives of many. Their lives were rich and filled with much joy.

You knew Donnie was a special soul, when he could connect so well with others simply through his texts, his stories and his commonalities.

He is an inspiration to the adventuring spirit. He gives us all hope... that happiness on the road truly does exist.

He and Mode took me to many places with their bIogs that I would not normally have gone. They showed me what is possible on an adventure bike, how it's done and what life's all about.

I'm a happier being from knowing them. I follow my dreams and relish my time on a bike.

They both knew the risks they faced, the many special moments they witnessed and shared, and thanked and prayed and praised every sacred moment they lived.

And when faced with those final seconds, they looked to the heavens with smiles and said their thanks, and rode on through the gates of afterlife.

Bless them on their continued journey.

Fare Well My Friends. Farewell.
    StanBo, ER70S-2, twflybum and 10 others like this.
  3. bdubbin

bdubbin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I consumed both this thread and the one referenced above by MC_Collector to gain an appreciation for Donnie, his life, and his loves. A reminder of how to live life right. We've had a few tragedies over the years here in advrider and this certainly seems like an impactful one for the community that will stand the test of time.
    dano619, jml141 and MC_Collector like this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I just discovered this, very sad news indeed. Donnie had been following and contributing to our own little wanderings of this amazing world that we all share. We never met, but I felt like I knew Donnie. RIP Donnie & Modesta.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Came across this news just this morning.

I met Donnie a handful of times when he'd come up to our dinner rides in Memphis. I recall he always had 100 different stories about traveling in Mexico and elsewhere, and I was always amazed at the energy he seemed to have.

I thought I had a picture of him with the Memphis group... but if I do, I can't find it.

Sad to hear.
    SkizzMan, ZGirl and jml141 like this.
  6. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may have a pic with Donnie. This was such sad news. He could certainly spin an intricate tale that could captivate for hours. :raabia

Bill and I were fortunate to meet Donnie and Sheryl and if I recall correctly, I think I recall that his daughter gave birth to their grand-daughter shortly after Sheryl passed.
    SkizzMan and Grynch like this.
  7. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    Aw man. :(:
  8. chipguy1

chipguy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago I checked on Donnie's progress and life was good for him and Modesta. Today I see this and wish it wasn't true. It sure drives home the message about living your life to the fullest every minute. I really enjoyed Donnie's posts, and I sure am going to miss him.
    Tom
    MrKiwi, R-W, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  9. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update... Tracy; Donnie's daughter, sent us a copy of the police report. It appears the driver was coming down a left hand turn, coming onto the flats. The police report indicates the 2014 freightliner ( non trailer) entered into Donnie's Lane. The impact sent the bike backwards , the truck rolled over. The driver claims his brakes failed , and he was only doing 35 km, according to the report. Furthermore, alcohol was not a factor. We will try to translate more later.
    Max Wedge, goodcat, jml141 and 2 others like this.
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180502_225743.jpg
    goodcat likes this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am posting this so that other riders will have a heightened awareness while riding in Latin America.

RIP Donnie and Modesta.
    MrKiwi, goodcat, NSFW and 4 others like this.
  12. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't know Donnie and I still shed a few tears when I first read of what happened. Thanks for the update. His travels were a real inspiration.
    jml141 and SkizzMan like this.
  13. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I saw Tracy's post on Facebook about this, but didn't want to pry. Just last week, I was passing through Clarksdale, and stopped by the cemetery.
  14. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this police report..........however I don’t believe it to be 100% true. Donnie was too experienced of a rider to let this happen. The truck was not just a bit over the center line, the truck had to be taking most or all of Donnies’s lane giving him no where else to go. Riders south of the border have this situation every day where trucks are coming around curves and taking part of the lain of oncoming traffic.......Donnie knew this as good or better than any rider..........and has faced this situation many many times.....I believe this truck was taking all the lane and gave Donnie no where to go!!!!
    Thanks for posting this.....I really appreciate it......I am still having a hard time trying to deal with the loss of Donnie and his sweet Modesta.....May they RIP.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one of the reasons I do not ride my 640 as much as I used to in Mexico.
  16. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my parts this is called the “Half-rica Twin”
    Grynch likes this.
  17. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    I've ridden for 2 years in Latin America now... and the one thing I learned VERY quickly is to always watch for the corners as many if not most vehicles cross the line into the wrong lane on a corner. They have no sense of proper road management skills and that's a hard FACT !!!!!

I'm still in shock about all this and find myself missing talking to him on a regular basis.

Donnie was a true adventure rider and a good soul willing to help others
    EmmEff, nwkshusker, Cal and 3 others like this.
  18. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  19. cherokee_chuck

cherokee_chuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going back about 10 years when Donnie made several trips to ride in our KLR rallies. Thanks for the memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled onto this reading the adv memorial thread. Enjoyed reading his ride reports. RIP Donnie and Modesta
    MrKiwi and jml141 like this.