Donnie and Modesta 2018 - Mexico, Central America and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Dec 24, 2017.

1. vector6

vector6 slipstream

Oddometer:

exactly... living life to the fullest RIP
  2. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20171007_105232.jpg October 2017 Twin Peaks, San Francisco.
    NSFW, Matcrisp, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are not here with us any longer but I can also say they are not forgotten. I miss them a LOT.
    In Iguala where they called home, we would visit them every chance we got. We loved going out to the lake to a little restaurant and eating together. This one time there was a band playing so my wife and I got up and danced. Donnie told me that I got him into trouble with Modesta so we didn’t dance any more. I have very fond memories of lunch at this place and will miss them terrible the next time we go back.
    Picture that Modesta took.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NSFW, OldPete, Max Wedge and 6 others like this.
  4. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was directed to this ride report while dreaming of long rides on Africa Twins.

I never met Donnie or Modesta but I will backtrack over his reports.

Rest In Peace.

They are still inspiring.
    Max Wedge and SkizzMan like this.
  5. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talking about African Twins.....after Donnie had ridden his for a while I asked him how he liked it. He told me it was the best bike of this type he has owned. He had told me about a lot of bikes he has owned including a BMW GS and KTM. So I think the AT must be a nice bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Max Wedge, SkizzMan and Romero like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only knew Donnie in the G-spot, but him and I conversed many times back then. RIP, you seemed like a good man! :cry
    Drybones, Grynch and jml141 like this.
  7. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I met Donnie on a group trip to Batapilas. We did two mexico trips together and one to Louisiana. He loved riding. No issues. I made a wrong turn in Sinforosa canyon and he told me. No worries. I'll follow you. I'll be back here with a smile on my face. I've never been here before. There is a place in my heart that can not be filled . It hurts. I have never met another biker in my life to go on a ride with and just enjoy the ride and not have any thoughts other than....we are on this ride....let's enjoy it. To me it is mindfulness, zen, a complete gestalt. God bless Donnie, Sheryl, Modesta and Donnies family. I am blessed to have been touched by the lives of people that I previously did not know existed.
  8. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I met Donnie soon after his first wife had died. He was a very pleasant and knowledgeable traveler. We had ridden to home in MS. and spent the night with him. We talked until the wee hours about work, travel, and motorcycles. Donnie had worked for Goodyear Tire and Rubber in Mexico where. he learned the language and truly loved the country and the people.

Donnie and I talked about Mexico motorcycle travel together, but the timing never worked out.
    We talked many times and I enjoyed his many adventures into the Mexico/ Central Americas.

He was a giving, loving, approachable person. May he rest in peace.

Larry
  9. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One year ago, we lost our friend and Mississippi neighbor Donnie and his beautiful wife Modesta. We in our house still have drying tears from a year ago. Still cannot believe in a blink how fast life can be taken away.

Donnie, your old GS is sitting in a place of honor in our garage. It is lovingly patted at least once a day.

Rest in peace to both of you.
    NSFW, jml141, Grynch and 7 others like this.
  10. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.......too soon......
    Hardly a day goes by without thinking about them. My wife and I remember them and talk about our memories of them often.
    We hope to get back to Iguala later this year and see the grandson they never got the chance to hold. Soon to be one year old.
    May they Rest In Peace
    SkizzMan and R-W like this.
  11. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    My very first PM message on this site was with Donnie almost 11 years ago when he was having trouble posting his first pics. He caught on quickly. He was a great guy.
    NSFW, R-W and SkizzMan like this.
  12. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Donnie, I did make it back down to Mexico. So sad you were not there to share it with me. salud my friend.
    swimmer, R-W and SkizzMan like this.
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    In a very real sense Donnie was with us on our ride.

Mexico has blessed me with a number of close friendships. Staying with two of them at the moment.
    FB437252-402A-4221-A2A5-A61BBB08B9E4.jpeg
    jml141, Grynch, Cal and 2 others like this.
  14. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bumping. I was actually thinking about this thread and Donnie, whom I never met, a couple of days ago. Just thinking about regular guys who just seemed to love riding their motorcycle. No pretensions in his postings. Just him talking about his bike and riding it. I always liked that. I didn't know him from anyone but it was a terrible feeling when his passing became known. Sorry again for the loss of your friends.
    Grynch, R-W, MaNDan and 2 others like this.
  15. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree JD. We talked about Donnie and how we missed out friend. I did three long rides with him with no worries, just enjoying the ride !
    R-W, Grynch and SkizzMan like this.
  16. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1101.jpg
    Many of you know that Modesta’s daughter was pregnant and Donnie and her were going to make a trip through Central America and then come back and help with the birth..........I just thought some that followed his report would like to see a picture of their big healthy grandson that they never got to hold.
  17. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that :thumbup
    Cal likes this.
  18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Nice post
  19. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump. Did not know this husband and wife. From reading these last few pages it’s clear that both where far more than average. This site makes us all one very large family of people doing something we all greatly love. Sometimes when I’m getting myself back into the body armour that I wear while riding dirt bikes I get a bit of teasing from a stranger walking by. My usual reply as to why all the plastic and padding is, ( ITS NOT GOLF, ANYBODY CAN DO THAT). We all that ride motos are special people. From what Donnie’s friends are saying here, he’s just a bunch more special. Take Care Donnie and Modesta. Merlin
    JRWooden and jml141 like this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gone but not forgotten.... RIP Donnie & Modesta.
    swimmer, jml141, SkizzMan and 4 others like this.